The Official Xiaomi Thread

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Also remember Dark Mode is meant for night viewing. Not daylight stuff (won't help your battery drain problem).

Something you maybe installed?
Sure it will. Reason why people begged Google for a systemwide dark mode for yonks.
In one piece of data, Google showed how dark mode can use 43% less power at full brightness than "normal mode" in the YouTube app, which uses a lot of white.

Fred07

Dave

Honorary Master
Sure it will. Reason why people begged Google for a systemwide dark mode for yonks.

The Note 8 is an IPS LCD, so won’t see much (if any) battery saving by using dark mode. It’s more of a benefit with AMOLED screens.

Your link even makes that point.

The battery-saving effects of dark modes are also more apparent on OLED displays, which most top smartphones use these days, compared to more traditional LCD displays. OLED displays don't shine their pixels when displaying the colour black. In essence, pixels displaying the colour black are actually turned off and are using very little power - if any. LCD displays, on the other hand, have a backlight that's always shining, even when displaying the colour black.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
^ that

Guess I'll have to live with it until the next "upgrade" to an AMOLED device.

Apart from that, no complaint at all.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Paired a Bluetooth speaker to my Redmi.

And, guess what? No ducking at all.

Can feel phone vibrating as messages come in, but they did not display a pop up or lower the volume automatically.

Was watching a documentary from Amazing Discoveries on Youtube.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Is it possible to connect a HDMI monitor via USB3 on my Redmi Note 8?

What can I expect? An enlarged, clunky display? Or a second screen running at native resolution on the external monitor?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
On the note 8, is the 1.1.1.1 VPN app already installed when using the pull-down menu?

Saw it by chance when I decided to rearrange the items a bit.

IMG_20210308_214450.jpg

PhireSide

Honorary Master
On the note 8, is the 1.1.1.1 VPN app already installed when using the pull-down menu?

Saw it by chance when I decided to rearrange the items a bit.

View attachment 1032950
That's odd that you have it preinstalled.

I recently reset my Note 8 to factory defaults and it wasn't part of the preinstalled apps.

Did you perhaps have it installed on your previous Xiaomi that it perhaps restored from a backup?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
That's odd that you have it preinstalled.

I recently reset my Note 8 to factory defaults and it wasn't part of the preinstalled apps.

Did you perhaps have it installed on your previous Xiaomi that it perhaps restored from a backup?
Nope, never restored from a backup. Odd.

Never knew an app can put an icon in the pull down menu.

I uninstalled the 1.1.1.1 app, icon went away. Reinatalled, icon is back.

Interesting. That's why I thought it was preinstalled...