The PC Build Thread

ponder

Honorary Master
Just so you know - not interested in overclocking. Just wanted a stonking build at price I was willing to pay.
In which case the mb & cpu recommendation makes even more sense. You get more for your money.

Splinter

Honorary Master
In which case the mb & cpu recommendation makes even more sense. You get more for your money.
As you well know, the money has been spent. And the prices you are quoting are now 3 months later.

Edit - closer to 4 months.

Quicks

Build my PC from wootware, they have excellent service! I am living in JHB and delivery was a quick 3 day and had everything needed. I would recommend them any day do not matter if you live in the cape or not...

Asus 470x-F board runs good boost go all the way up to 4.2Ghz pre updated the bios free of charge which is nice. Bought the board for the onboard audio and did not disappoint, better than the SB extreme gamer I had. Basically overall good performance, but I think many apps and games do not utilize so many cores. Maybe I need to upgrade my RX470 but still does the job...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Build my PC from wootware, they have excellent service! I am living in JHB and delivery was a quick 3 day and had everything needed. I would recommend them any day do not matter if you live in the cape or not...

Asus 470x-F board runs good boost go all the way up to 4.2Ghz pre updated the bios free of charge which is nice. Bought the board for the onboard audio and did not disappoint, better than the SB extreme gamer I had. Basically overall good performance, but I think many apps and games do not utilize so many cores. Maybe I need to upgrade my RX470 but still does the job...
What CPU did you get with it? As the RX470 might be the bottle neck.

Quicks

What CPU did you get with it? As the RX470 might be the bottle neck.
AMD 3600

RX470 will be the bottleneck, but these new card are ridiculously expensive!

I think my old 2500K @ 4.5Ggz did a great job considering its age, but stared getting unstable. no matter what I tried.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
AMD 3600

RX470 will be the bottleneck, but these new card are ridiculously expensive!

I think my old 2500K @ 4.5Ggz did a great job considering its age, but stared getting unstable. no matter what I tried.
So look at Carbonite.co.za for a decent second hand deal :)

weelzSA

Expert Member
So it seems my remaining parts will arrive tomororw / Wednesday then can finally get my new build started.

With the BIOS Flashback for B450 Tomahawk do I just download latest BIOS to FAT32 drive, connect power to mobo and press the flashback button and wait for red light (it's all the info I could get online).

Secondly is it really a bad idea to run PC without CPU cooler? I just want to make sure CPU is picked up in BIOS as I am doing custom hard line Waterloop so a bit tougher troubleshooting once all connected and filled.

Thirdly I have ordered the M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus as new boot drive to replace my old Samsung SSD - what is the best way to mirror the drive? Should I boot with old SSD connected in new PC and then use software to image the disc or should I rather do a fresh install of windows as it's all new hardware? Ideally would like to do fresh install but have all software copied over but doubt that is possible.

BloodrayneZA

Expert Member
Sigh. Thanks for all the positive feedback folks.

Just so you know - not interested in overclocking. Just wanted a stonking build at price I was willing to pay. And one of the Wootware folks I trust was quite positive about this build.
Dude, I don't overclock either. My last build is more or less 10 years, thanks to Prophecy Shop (I worked for them til they closed down).

I've been hesitant to upgrade because why spend so much dosh every year when you can get a decent build and have it last you at least up to 10 years before needing to rebuild again because of old age, wear and tear? I'm on a tight budget so I can't justify R4000 for a CPU, it's just way too much.

My Sandybridge was a quad-core - played most games very well and I had a decent mid-range GPU too. I"m not one to chase the latest technology fad and only choose what I need.

Each to his own, it's your choice and your money, you pay for what you get.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Dude, I don't overclock either. My last build is more or less 10 years, thanks to Prophecy Shop (I worked for them til they closed down).

I've been hesitant to upgrade because why spend so much dosh every year when you can get a decent build and have it last you at least up to 10 years before needing to rebuild again because of old age, wear and tear? I'm on a tight budget so I can't justify R4000 for a CPU, it's just way too much.

My Sandybridge was a quad-core - played most games very well and I had a decent mid-range GPU too. I"m not one to chase the latest technology fad and only choose what I need.

Each to his own, it's your choice and your money, you pay for what you get.
Thought I recognised the name from their forums, surprisingly the old quad cores are still reasonably competent. With a decent newer GFX you could eek out a bit more life.

ponder

Honorary Master
Thought I recognised the name from their forums, surprisingly the old quad cores are still reasonably competent. With a decent newer GFX you could eek out a bit more life.
As an owner of one I'm gonna say nyet, it's become a bottleneck in aaa games.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Ordered a memory kit from Newegg or Thursday, it arrived today! Glad to see they're competitive with Amazon in this regard, even probably beating them for an item like this.

Ended up costing R2791 with the express shipping option, couldn't find a similar 32GB 3600Mhz kit for this price locally.

Have managed to get it running at 3400Mhz 14-18-18-28 with the help of the Ryzen DRAM calculator, the out the box XMP profile for 3600Mhz just not stable but honestly not too concerned considering I managed to tighten up the timings from the XMP's 19-20-20-40.

Now waiting patiently for the 3950X :(

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
As an owner of one I'm gonna say nyet, it's become a bottleneck in aaa games.
Considering their age though? I mean where else in the past would a 5 to 6 year old chip still kind of allow you to play games?
Then again it's probably thanks to Intel dominating so long.

weelzSA

Expert Member
So parts arrived.

I decided to just use the cooler that came with the 3700X and make sure the bios updated to support 3rd Gen and to install windows fresh on the 970 Evo Plus.

Once done I disconnected everything and when trying to remove the cooler it seemed really stuck (was original thermal paste that comes pre-appied on cooler). I remember hearing about this from YouTube videos and online forums so twisted it a bit to try pry it loose and the whole CPU popped out still stuck to the cooler (with retention arm still down ). The thermal paste was also everywhere!!! It was only on for about 30 minutes total. So had to clean every part of CPU. Luckily CPU fitted perfectly back into socket and retention arm locked it in place.

Tomorrow the "fun" starts when I get to start planning and bending the hard line for the water-cooling.

weelzSA

Expert Member
So decided to start putting something's together before tomorrow when I start designing the run.

This is what I have so far.

The 360 rad will go in the back right corner and the res/pump just infront of it to the right of GPU.

Then it's all about cable management and the water loop run.