The PC Build Thread

PhireSide

Executive Member
Well if it's mostly for gaming 12 threads I suspect will be suitable for quite some time. Keep in mind the devs need to cater for the bigger market. 12 vs 16 threads, do you think 16 threads will be needed for gaming 4-5yrs down the line or will 12 suffice?
To add to this, you may as well buy something suitable now and keep for one or two years and upgrade to the 4xxx series when it releases.

I can imagine how owners of the original first gen 1700/1700x/1800x must have felt at the time, possibly thinking their chips would be able to last three or four years at the least, only for a midrange third gen chip to outperform it all while being more efficient to boot.

I am not saying the Ryzen 1xxx series lacks grunt, but the 3xxx series improved where it was needed to bring it very close to the heels of Intel chips.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it may be a better bet to get something that will fulfill your needs NOW and worry about performance if and when the time comes instead of building something overkill now that will be inefficient and outdated by the time developers can make use of all the cores and threads.

ponder

Honorary Master
To add to this, you may as well buy something suitable now and keep for one or two years and upgrade to the 4xxx series when it releases.

I can imagine how owners of the original first gen 1700/1700x/1800x must have felt at the time, possibly thinking their chips would be able to last three or four years at the least, only for a midrange third gen chip to outperform it all while being more efficient to boot.

I am not saying the Ryzen 1xxx series lacks grunt, but the 3xxx series improved where it was needed to bring it very close to the heels of Intel chips.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it may be a better bet to get something that will fulfill your needs NOW and worry about performance if and when the time comes instead of building something overkill now that will be inefficient and outdated by the time developers can make use of all the cores and threads.
Yeah I agree, and there will also be the cheap second hand market down the line so the option of a 3700/3900 if you really need it.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
so guys tell me is the Intel core i7 still better than ryzen in general or what ?
For what use case?

For lightly-threaded applications (games) the higher clock speeds of Intel put them in the lead. For multi-threaded applications, the latest generation of Ryzen processors are beasts, 3600, 3700x and 3900x in their respective classes are specifically good.

stefan9

Executive Member
so guys tell me is the Intel core i7 still better than ryzen in general or what ?
There is only a 5-10% advantage for the i9 in gaming for now. Gets smashed by ryzen in anything else. Value wise ryzen is the better buy.

PhireSide

Executive Member
There is only a 5-10% advantage for the i9 in gaming for now. Gets smashed by ryzen in anything else. Value wise ryzen is the better buy.
I am keen to see what the Ryzen 3950 will bring to the table in September. Hopefully by then their AGESA code and nodes are a bit more refined in order to give a bit more stability and boost clocks

Neoprod

Honorary Master
https://pcper.com/2019/07/msi-launches-new-am4-motherboards-with-ryzen-3000-support/

MSI is launching a new line of socket AM4 “Max” motherboards using the AMD A320, B450, and X470 chipsets that are essentially refreshes of existing motherboards with the most notable change being a larger 256 Mb (32 MB) SPI Flash ROM chip and support for AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors out of the box. Currently, MSI has 10 Max motherboards planned with the matte black clad boards with new Max branding supporting MSI’s ClickBIOS 5 EUFI as well as all current AMD processors including older Bristol Ridge and Raven Ridge APUs along with first, second, and third generation Ryzen CPUs out of the box without needing a BIOS update

PhireSide

Executive Member
Very interesting. I do remember then saying the 16MB BIOS chip is what is holding back manufacturers from supporting Ryzen 1xxx through 3xxx with one BIOS revision.

I also see my board (Asus Prime X370-PRO) has the 3900x on the Supported CPU list. I wonder how Asus is going to deal with BIOS file size limitations when it comes to this? Will do some more reading on the matter tonight.

ponder

Honorary Master
Very interesting. I do remember then saying the 16MB BIOS chip is what is holding back manufacturers from supporting Ryzen 1xxx through 3xxx with one BIOS revision.

I also see my board (Asus Prime X370-PRO) has the 3900x on the Supported CPU list. I wonder how Asus is going to deal with BIOS file size limitations when it comes to this? Will do some more reading on the matter tonight.
They'll do a cut down bios.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Do you not find they tire your eyes out? Or do you not see the light directly while gaming/working?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Do you not find they tire your eyes out? Or do you not see the light directly while gaming/working?
Most of the light is directed downwards and I actually find this easier on my eyes having more local lighting. This is also part of my loadshedding survival kit :)

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Some people simply cannot live without bragging rights and will pay top $ for that extra 0.5GHz
0.05Ghz...for over $200 :D

The set-up of someone that attached to having the absolute best of everything (while paying for it themselves) must be a sight to behold.