The PC Build Thread

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Some people simply cannot live without bragging rights and will pay top $ for that extra 0.5GHz
There will always be an endless supply of suckers lined up for this kinda stuff.

Last edited:

weelzSA

Expert Member
Maybe a stupid question but with the MSI Tomahawk do you need to enable RGB header in the BIOS? I connected the RGB from CPU block direct to RGB header on mobo and it doesn't work.

I then connected CPU block with 4pin RGB USB adapter to a powerbank a d the RGB works so that's not the problem.

I tested both RGB headers too and made sure the arrow on the connector pointed to 12v on mobo.

ponder

Honorary Master
Maybe a stupid question but with the MSI Tomahawk do you need to enable RGB header in the BIOS? I connected the RGB from CPU block direct to RGB header on mobo and it doesn't work.

I then connected CPU block with 4pin RGB USB adapter to a powerbank a d the RGB works so that's not the problem.

I tested both RGB headers too and made sure the arrow on the connector pointed to 12v on mobo.
Make & model?

ponder

Honorary Master

weelzSA

Expert Member
Mystic Light 3 software installed & configured? Page 72 http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.4.pdf

This rgb thing seems to be a hit & miss between different vendors, I'd log a support call with ek.
Yeah I donwloaded latest software and did a few restarts etc. I'm wondering if there isn't an issue in bios maybe as when I connected USB adaptor to cpu RGB header and plugged into powerbank it lights up immediately.

Other issue is I can't get into bios right now as I'm waiting on more tubing for the loop so no way to boot pc again so need to wait till then.

Was just checking if there something I need to do to get RGB headers to work or a setting I need to change somewhere.

ponder

Honorary Master
Full budget is 15k for complete case excluding a gpu. Though If I don't need it I have many other things to spend the money on.
Copy and paste from https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/help-selecting-gaming-pc-components-±r20k-budget.1038647/post-23837257

R3622 AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth cooler
https://www.rockinit.co.za/product/amd-ryzen-5-3600-with-wraith-stealth-cooler/

R1819 MSI B450M BAZOOKA PLUS
https://www.rockinit.co.za/product/msi-b450m-bazooka-plus/

R1799 Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB
https://www.wootware.co.za/corsair-...b-ddr4-3200mhz-cl16-1-35v-desktop-memory.html

R1166 Adata ASX6000LNP-512GT-C SX6000 Lite 512GB M.2 2280
https://www.wootware.co.za/adata-as...12gb-m-2-2280-pcie-3-0-solid-state-drive.html

R639 Western-Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1TB
https://www.takealot.com/wd-blue-1tb-3-5-sata-6gb-s-64mb-internal-hard-drive/PLID32851318

R899 Super Flower SF-500P14MS Silver ECO 500W 80 Plus Fully Modular
https://www.wootware.co.za/super-fl...fully-modular-black-desktop-power-supply.html

Pick your case and maybe go bigger ssd?

Can't remember if you're the guy that wanted mini-itx uild or not...

apviljoen2

Hi guys, need some troubleshooting advice. Old system, I know ;)

DG33BU (LGA775)
Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz
8Gb DDR2 Ram
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GT 1030 2048 MB

I bought a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz processor on ebay. It arrived yesterday.

I checked online and it is a straight swap between the two, mechanically. But it just doesn't want to boot.
STEPS already taken:
-I check the Bios version: and it is the last release, no more current version.
-I did the BIOS clear operation, where I placed the jumper over the CONFIG pins and then selected "Load defaults" in the BIOS.
-One webpage described how to check whether the CPU is alive: Disconnect RAM, Hardrives and everything else and start up. If no noise= the CPU is dead, if beeps=CPU is alive. It beeped, so the CPU is working.
-I tried to go into safe mode, by powering down the PC just as the windows logo appears, three times. It eventually loads the "Preparing Automatic repair", but then nothing afterwards.
-I tried disconnecting the hard drives and only putting in my USB boot drive, but also just shows the windows logo and then the screen goes black.

When I put the old CPU back in the system boots perfectly and the BIOS shows the actual full model number of the CPU when I look. But on the new CPU the BIOS just says "Genuine Intel CPU" With the correct speed below. (It is the same as the old CPU)

Only thing I can think of doing is doing a complete fresh Windows install. The system doesn't have anything critical on it, so wont lose anything of value, it is just a shlep to get it back up and running with all the stuff to be loaded. So would like to avoid it.

So questions:
-Should I attempt to load an Older version of the BIOS. Online resources said the q9650 needs version 484 or later, the current one is 572?
-What are the chances of a fresh windows install fixing it? It feels like a BIOS issue?
-Anything else I can try?
-Just thought, would a under specced power supply cause this? I don't have the biggest in the business installed, probably 400W or 500W, didn't check

PhireSide

Executive Member
I bought a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz processor on ebay. It arrived yesterday.
Who was the seller? There is a small chance that you received a fake CPU, I have heard of some intricate scams that run this way or perhaps the CPU is faulty.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it, inclusive of shipping and everything else?

The reason that I ask is that you can get a very decent upgrade kit for next to nothing nowadays, and if you have R2000 to spare, you can get a Ryzen 3 1200 Quad Core CPU with 4GB DDR4 RAM and an entry-level motherboard from Evetech that will be orders of magnitude faster than a C2Q system:

1564036664545.png

EDIT: I see the upgrade kit price has jumped up by R300:

1564036716843.png

Unless you are using that system for a specific reason (compatibility or nostalgia or whatever the reason may be) I would recommend maybe looking for something a bit newer.

apviljoen2

Who was the seller?

SNIP.
eBay seller, seemed they had good ratings.
1564037674919.png

I am using the PC for Cycling indoor training, not much more. I had the old system standing around and was looking for the cheapest way to get the most out of the system, thus went this route. Spent R650 on the CPU including shipping.

I might consider asking for a refund and just run the PC as is, which it is running quite sufficiently. Was hoping to play GTA V on the system from time-to-time, thus the reason for the CPU upgrade.

apviljoen2

eBay seller, seemed they had good ratings.

I am using the PC for Cycling indoor training, not much more. I had the old system standing around and was looking for the cheapest way to get the most out of the system, thus went this route. Spent R650 on the CPU including shipping.

I might consider asking for a refund and just run the PC as is, which it is running quite sufficiently. Was hoping to play GTA V on the system from time-to-time, thus the reason for the CPU upgrade.
Decided to ask the seller for a refund, as all things point to some sort of issue with the CPU. Let's see if he bites.

Does anybody have advice on how to ship something back to Singapore? I just fill in whichever address he gives me and then pop into my local friendly post office and they will give me the various shipping options?

PhireSide

Executive Member
Decided to ask the seller for a refund, as all things point to some sort of issue with the CPU. Let's see if he bites.

Does anybody have advice on how to ship something back to Singapore? I just fill in whichever address he gives me and then pop into my local friendly post office and they will give me the various shipping options?
I can't help you there but I hope that you managed to get the issue resolved soon.

For your usecase, you may want to have a look at the AMD 2400G/3400G APU - it performs pretty well in some newer titles at 720p and 1080p if you don't go ham on the level of gfx quality. There are plenty of reviews on YouTube if you want to do some research.

Good luck!

apviljoen2

I can't help you there but I hope that you managed to get the issue resolved soon.

For your usecase, you may want to have a look at the AMD 2400G/3400G APU - it performs pretty well in some newer titles at 720p and 1080p if you don't go ham on the level of gfx quality. There are plenty of reviews on YouTube if you want to do some research.

Good luck!
Seller replied with some funny instruction to "use metal eraser to test the metal test points".

I replied that it might be best for us both if I just return the item, to which he agreed.

I will save up a little more and then buy something newer as suggested for any future gaming sessions.

Quicks

Hey guys running Gskill 3200 ram on X470-F on XMP profile works fine, but how could someone get the FSB DRAM to run 1:1 currently running at 1:16 ?

ponder

Honorary Master
Hey guys running Gskill 3200 ram on X470-F on XMP profile works fine, but how could someone get the FSB DRAM to run 1:1 currently running at 1:16 ?
MB & RAM model#

There's an amd memory app where you can work out your ram timings etc and punch it into you're bios. The xmp profiles are not always optimal.

Quicks

MB & RAM model#

There's an amd memory app where you can work out your ram timings etc and punch it into you're bios. The xmp profiles are not always optimal.
The App not fully supported yet on 3 series says coming soon...

G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW
https://www.wootware.co.za/g-skill-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw-tridentz-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-cl16-1-35v-black-desktop-memory.html

Bought these at a more expensive price as some said it be samsung B-Die, but turned out to be Hynix which apparently do not overclock well. Funny enough the prices have actually increase with another R200 since I bought them

M/B Asus X470-F

From what I understand I have to overclock to 3600 or 3733 to get 1:1 ratio?

Last edited: