The PC Build Thread

Dan C

Honorary Master
So parts arrived.

I decided to just use the cooler that came with the 3700X and make sure the bios updated to support 3rd Gen and to install windows fresh on the 970 Evo Plus.

Once done I disconnected everything and when trying to remove the cooler it seemed really stuck (was original thermal paste that comes pre-appied on cooler). I remember hearing about this from YouTube videos and online forums so twisted it a bit to try pry it loose and the whole CPU popped out still stuck to the cooler (with retention arm still down ). The thermal paste was also everywhere!!! It was only on for about 30 minutes total. So had to clean every part of CPU. Luckily CPU fitted perfectly back into socket and retention arm locked it in place.

Tomorrow the "fun" starts when I get to start planning and bending the hard line for the water-cooling.
Same happened to me. Even though the CPU was locked down , it came undone attached to the stock cooler :p

weelzSA

Expert Member
Same happened to me. Even though the CPU was locked down , it came undone attached to the stock cooler :p
My heart literally stopped for a second or two when it happened. But after checking all pins are perfect and still connects properly I moved on.

Suppose will only be able to tell once I get the loop done and boot for first time if all is still working.

Dan C

Honorary Master
My heart literally stopped for a second or two when it happened. But after checking all pins are perfect and still connects properly I moved on.

Suppose will only be able to tell once I get the loop done and boot for first time if all is still working.
Good luck with the water cooler. I took a short cut and got the Corsair Hydro H60.

weelzSA

Expert Member
Something else I thought of with the CPU block, GPU block and res they all have 4 pin RGB - can these be connected to commander pro and controlled through there or do they need to be connected direct to motherboard (maybe somehow daisychain them together)?

Motherboard only has 2x RGB connectors as far as I can tell.

Also the B450 Tomahawk doesn't have any Front USB 3.1 connectors on motherboard so will just leave that disconnected now until I find a workaround.

Edit: seems from a bit of Google'ing this is not possible using commander pro and Ek parts so need to find another way.

Edit 2: it seems I may need something like this - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-rgb-4-way-splitter-cable

Can I use that cable safley to connect the CPU, GPU and res/pump safley to only one port on MOBO?

Last edited:

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Long time since I've built anything of substance. I'm hoping to it will be better than my current E8300, 760GTX setup.

RYZEN 9 3900x
MSI MEG ACE X570
16 GB Corsair Vengenace 3200
Phanteks Evolve X
2 x Sabrent Rokcet 1TB nvme's
Corsair HX1000i PSU
LG UK600
GPU (waiting for 2080 super pricing)

Herbivore

Hi all.
I need to build a new PC most of the workload will be gaming in 1080p and running 2 or 3 virtual machines (Hopefully not gaming simultaneously running the virtual machines)

I decided to go with:

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard most likely (but in the unlikely event I find a X570 board for within maybe R 500 of that price, maybe I'll choose that)
32 GB RAM, haven't settled on a speed for that yet was thinking, any suggestions?
Cooler Master MB511 RGB with mesh front (the Cooler Masters with the tempered glass fronts apparently don't get that much air-flow through the front fans from reviews I read)

I already have a PSU and a graphics card that I can use for it.

I have never bought electronics from either Newegg nor Amazon, well I bought a 2nd gen Kindle AGES ago and barely remember any of that experience, (it was pretty pain free though)
How accurate is Amazon's import duty fees estimation? Do you ever get any money back?
And how is the experience of buying from Newegg? Is it trouble free or would I encounter issues that make paying a bit more locally worth the extra cost?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Hi all.
I need to build a new PC most of the workload will be gaming in 1080p and running 2 or 3 virtual machines (Hopefully not gaming simultaneously running the virtual machines)

I decided to go with:

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard most likely (but in the unlikely event I find a X570 board for within maybe R 500 of that price, maybe I'll choose that)
32 GB RAM, haven't settled on a speed for that yet was thinking, any suggestions?
Cooler Master MB511 RGB with mesh front (the Cooler Masters with the tempered glass fronts apparently don't get that much air-flow through the front fans from reviews I read)

I already have a PSU and a graphics card that I can use for it.

I have never bought electronics from either Newegg nor Amazon, well I bought a 2nd gen Kindle AGES ago and barely remember any of that experience, (it was pretty pain free though)
How accurate is Amazon's import duty fees estimation? Do you ever get any money back?
And how is the experience of buying from Newegg? Is it trouble free or would I encounter issues that make paying a bit more locally worth the extra cost?
Yes, locally will be better. Look at Wootware and compare.

Splinter

Honorary Master
A question - before I got my PC, I looked at whether 32 GB RAM was worth it. From what I read, it was a no. Any reason why it would be?

Herbivore

A question - before I got my PC, I looked at whether 32 GB RAM was worth it. From what I read, it was a no. Any reason why it would be?
I have found sometimes when running virtual machines and other software, 16 GB can feel a little low. I have maxed out my 16 GB sometimes.
For most day to day use 16 GB is plenty.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I have found sometimes when running virtual machines and other software, 16 GB can feel a little low. I have maxed out my 16 GB sometimes.
For most day to day use 16 GB is plenty.
A question - I thought you needed 5000 posts or some such to be able to have an avatar. Has this changed?

Majorman747

Hey all,

Just a quick question, I recently obtained a Radeon rx 580 gaming x 8g graphics card but my case is too small to accommodate it. I've seen a cost effective case called vortex v5 405wb on evetech but I see there is a vortex v4 402 for slightly cheaper. They both accommodate a lengthy card as it states just want to know the difference between the two can't see any difference.

Thanks for your input!

If any other cost effective cases that can accommodate the new graphics card let me know please.

Last edited:

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Long time since I've built anything of substance. I'm hoping to it will be better than my current E8300, 760GTX setup.

RYZEN 9 3900x
MSI MEG ACE X570
16 GB Corsair Vengenace 3200
Phanteks Evolve X
2 x Sabrent Rokcet 1TB nvme's
Corsair HX1000i PSU
LG UK600
GPU (waiting for 2080 super pricing)
Pushed button over the weekend on the EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra to finish it off.

Zuner

Expert Member
So its time I upgrade my Haswell i5 machine. I plan on replacing Everything besides the gpu, I will be using the current machine as my server/htpc.
Here's the dilemma, after watching some yt videos I see that there is not much to be had from getting the 3600x or 3700x in single thread/gaming. I Game at 1080p60.
I tend to but higher than I need to future proof, but not sure if it's worth it.

So do I go 3600 with b/x450 or 3700x with x470/x570 build. I rarely do much else on the machine, some light coding and a vm here and there for testing but no real productivity work. Though I need the machine to last a good few years. My haswell lasted 5 years before I started feeling the need to upgrade.

Full budget is 15k for complete case excluding a gpu. Though If I don't need it I have many other things to spend the money on.

ponder

Honorary Master
So its time I upgrade my Haswell i5 machine. I plan on replacing Everything besides the gpu, I will be using the current machine as my server/htpc.
Here's the dilemma, after watching some yt videos I see that there is not much to be had from getting the 3600x or 3700x in single thread/gaming. I Game at 1080p60.
I tend to but higher than I need to future proof, but not sure if it's worth it.

So do I go 3600 with b/x450 or 3700x with x470/x570 build. I rarely do much else on the machine, some light coding and a vm here and there for testing but no real productivity work. Though I need the machine to last a good few years. My haswell lasted 5 years before I started feeling the need to upgrade.

Full budget is 15k for complete case excluding a gpu. Though If I don't need it I have many other things to spend the money on.
There's no real point in paying the extra premium for the X processors, performance-wise they are so close to the non-X models the difference is negligible (2-3fps) and the non-X will OC to X levels.

So get yourself a R5 3600 seeing as you're not much of a productivity guy with a MSI B450 Bazooka Plus MB & 16GB of RAM, SuperFlower PSU & case that tickles your fancy.

Last edited:

Zuner

Expert Member
There's no real point in paying the extra premium for the X processors, performance-wise they are so close to the non-X models the difference is negligible (2-3fps) and the non-X will OC to X levels.

So get yourself a R5 3600 seeing as you're not much of a productivity guy with a MSI B450 Bazooka Plus MB & 16GB of RAM, SuperFlower PSU & case that tickles your fancy.
Mr Ponder always appreciate your advice, so you reckon its not worth going the 3700x route for longevity ? I won't be doing any gaming above 60fps.

ponder

Honorary Master
Mr Ponder always appreciate your advice, so you reckon its not worth going the 3700x route for longevity ? I won't be doing any gaming above 60fps.
Well if it's mostly for gaming 12 threads I suspect will be suitable for quite some time. Keep in mind the devs need to cater for the bigger market. 12 vs 16 threads, do you think 16 threads will be needed for gaming 4-5yrs down the line or will 12 suffice?