The PC Build Thread

ponder

Honorary Master
The egit probably forgot the standoffs and screwed it to the case and shorted everything out, people do that. Even if it was not the case every single product out there can fail. My superflower psu died with a loud bang and a bright flash followed by smoke, does that mean superflower makes bad products?

That board has a 4/5 average on newegg, 65% of votes scored it 4 and above, 74% 3 and above. https://www.newegg.com/global/za-en/p/N82E16813157841

What product from asus, gigabyte & msi can compete with it in that price bracket? All you will get is their entry level boards with no heatsinks, 2x dimm slots, no m.2, matx form factor.

There are quite a few people here that have one, they sell really well and woot & rebel just replenished their stock again.

Dan C

Honorary Master
The egit probably forgot the standoffs and screwed it to the case and shorted everything out, people do that. Even if it was not the case every single product out there can fail. My superflower psu died with a loud bang and a bright flash followed by smoke, does that mean superflower makes bad products?

That board has a 4/5 average on newegg, 65% of votes scored it 4 and above, 74% 3 and above. https://www.newegg.com/global/za-en/p/N82E16813157841

What product from asus, gigabyte & msi can compete with it in that price bracket? All you will get is their entry level boards with no heatsinks, 2x dimm slots, no m.2, matx form factor.

There are quite a few people here that have one, they sell really well and woot & rebel just replenished their stock again.
I was just kidding , but the superflower thing has me concerned. I bought a 650 w to be used soon. Eeek.

ponder

Honorary Master
I was just kidding , but the superflower thing has me concerned. I bought a 650 w to be used soon. Eeek.
Nothing wrong with them so don't worry, I just had bad luck & it did happen at the time when eishkom was loadshedding a lot. Return rate on them are very low according to wootware. They're also a OEM for many well known PSU brands, nothing wrong with their quality, johnyguru rates them up there with seasonic.

terencej

Expert Member
Hi
I'm not the nearly as smart as 99% of you guys so please help out if you can. I want to upgrade my pc and I use it for everything and gaming wise it's below par so I've got about R6000 if needed I can sell my kidney and stretch it to R10k to spend. Not sure what I can keep and what I need to chuck. So if possible give options for R6K and R10K.
I will keep my case (coolermaster storm) and my monitor (27") and power supply (see pic). My one fan is not working on my 660 graphics card so that will have to go. Sorry I only realise now how dirty my box is inside. **** it's dirty. Sorry. Other specs also on attached pics. I will keep my hard drives too. I stay down the road from wootware.
Please help.
Thanks
Considering you have a case, psu and HDD's. I would go for the below :
upgrade.png

terencej

Expert Member
8GB single channel 2666MHz RAM is not great on Ryzen, there's a reason evetech kits are cheaper.
Just add 1 more 8 gig ram stick.
Yeah, look out for this. Go 3200Mhz or don't bother.
I am running 32gigs of 2666 memory with a Ryzen 2700. Pretty happy with how everything performs. I cannot see that going 3200 would make that much of a difference.

Also, I suggested the 1600 kit + RX580 so the guy can get 60fps on high in most games at 1080p which is achievable with 2666 ram at that price point. If he ups is budget then by all means, go faster cpu and ram.

Last edited:

Prawnapple

Just add 1 more 8 gig ram stick.

I am running 32gigs of 2666 memory with a Ryzen 2700. Pretty happy with how everything performs. I cannot see that going 3200 would make that much of a difference.
That's fine in your case because the Ryzen 2700 only supports 2933MHz max. If you're going Ryzen 5 3X or Ryzen 7 3X it will have 3200Mhz support.

terencej

Expert Member
That's fine in your case because the Ryzen 2700 only supports 2933MHz max. If you're going Ryzen 5 3X or Ryzen 7 3X it will have 3200Mhz support.
Yes, so you would agree that going for 3200mhz or higher for the Ryzen 1600 kit is pretty much pointless.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes, so you would agree that going for 3200mhz or higher for the Ryzen 1600 kit is pretty much pointless.
Well only if they never want to try overclock or attempt it. But Ryzens like faster memory as well, so rather go as high you can, rather than scrape the bottom.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Just to clarify this:

> Ryzen 2700 only supports 2933MHz max officially

That's just the official supported spec, you can overclock past this if your motherboard supports it. I have been running 3200Mhz on both the Ryzen 1700 and 2700X and can get 3600Mhz running on my 2700X but my specific kit has to run at poor timings so I run it at 3200MHz CL14 instead.

ponder

Honorary Master

Ringo26

First time poster. Wanted to provide some info for peeps looking to upgrade. I couldn't find anyone running the new Ryzen 3700X on an older GPU. I just did the following:
  • Mobo: MSI Z77A (G43 something something) changed to MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • CPU: Core i5 3570 with Hyper 212 cooler changed to Ryzen 3700X with stock cooler
  • Memory: 8gb DDR3 1600MHz to 16gb DDR4 3200MHz
  • My GPU stayed the same: Powercolour RX480 8Gb
  • PSU, storage, etc. stayed the same.
The results:
  • My temps have stayed the same, hovering around 75 Celsius on the GPU and about 70 Celcius on the CPU.
  • Startup is slightly slower (I've seen people complaining that the mobo I chose slows startups.)
  • Performance in Windows is mostly the same. Maybe a little snappier. It was pretty damn snappy before the upgrade (I'll fondly remember my Ivy Bridge forever).
  • I use civil design software like Prokon and Dlubal. Both are much faster when analyzing structures. (This has been fun).
  • I currently play Battlefield 5 and Witcher 3. Both have almost doubled their frame rates at 1080p. BF 5 went from 40 - 50 on low settings to hovering around 90 - 120 also on low.
  • The Witcher 3 went from medium to high settings averaging 50-ish FPS to Ultra settings staying locked at 60 FPS.
Observations:
  • Can't believe how much more performance this upgrade has gotten out of my RX480. I almost bought a new GPU with the CPU, very glad I didn't. There's still some life in the old bird.
  • The mobo BIOS had to be flashed to a new version. It was super unstable and crappy with it's stock BIOS.
  • The system as a whole is much quieter than before.