The PC Build Thread

maqs

Look the APU on the 3200 is really really just okay, even a R2279 RX560 would beat the socks off of it, so just be aware of that, you may get games at low 1080p but that's it.
wont be gaming much if at all so can't justify the 2200+ expense... would rather put it towards something else in the build

Lupus

Honorary Master
I would go used rx 570 at around R1200. that would be nice with 1600 AF
Where can you get an RX570 for that price? As I've not seen one second hand for that price for awhile.
Currently I've got an RX580 with my 1600AF and it's pretty cool, just now need to sort out the chassis :)

CaneMan

I think this board is cursed. It went into bios this morning, now i plugged the other ram stick and the nvme drive in, and boot loop. Plug other ram out, same. Take nvme out, same. Fiddle with everything again, sometimes boot loop, sometimes it just stays on but no display. The old speaker never beeped so i think that is broken. Can the nvme drive cause a problem with the bios?
What RAM are you using? Do you know if it is on the MB QVL List? I would also check if the nvme is on the QVL list.

furpile

Expert Member
What RAM are you using? Do you know if it is on the MB QVL List? I would also check if the nvme is on the QVL list.
Gskill Ripjaws. On the QVL list is F4-3600C16D-16GVK, I have F4-3600C16D-16GVKC. Don't know what the extra C at the end is for.

The NVME is a Sabrent, they are not listed on the QVL list, I didn't know they had storage on the QVL as well.

I am going to reset CMOS again, then see if it starts up without the nvme.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Where can you get an RX570 for that price? As I've not seen one second hand for that price for awhile.
Currently I've got an RX580 with my 1600AF and it's pretty cool, just now need to sort out the chassis :)
Depends on area in CPT its been going price for 2nd hand rx 570 for a while. R1200 to R1400 seems to be going price atm in the groups I am in.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Depends on area in CPT its been going price for 2nd hand rx 570 for a while. R1200 to R1400 seems to be going price atm in the groups I am in.
That's not bad, last year I saw RX580s going for that price, but they are now a bit more again.

ponder

Honorary Master
Gskill Ripjaws. On the QVL list is F4-3600C16D-16GVK, I have F4-3600C16D-16GVKC. Don't know what the extra C at the end is for.
Different timings CL16-16-16-36 vs CL16-19-19-39

The NVME is a Sabrent, they are not listed on the QVL list, I didn't know they had storage on the QVL as well.
Should not be an issue, they can't possibly test for all variations, have not heard of an ssd not working.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
wont be gaming much if at all so can't justify the 2200+ expense... would rather put it towards something else in the build
How strict is your budget?
The 3200g is a pretty good CPU, and very good for the price. It is also surprisingly capable at gaming:

Although, it is still a 4c/4t CPU with crappy GPU vs 6c/12t CPU and a much better GPU, no matter what modern GPU you get.

If money is a bit tight now, you can get that 3200g and upgrade to a 4200g (IF the 4000 series stull supports AM4) in a year or two's time.
Or just get a 3600 in 2 - 3 year's time, and buy a new GPU then. With Ryzen you will have some options and an easy upgrade path, at least to anything in the 3000 range, and probably to the 4000 range.

Last edited:

maqs

How strict is your budget?
The 3200g is a pretty good CPU, and very good for the price. It is also surprisingly capable at gaming:

If money is a bit tight now, you can get that 3200g and upgrade to a 4200g (IF the 4000 series stull supports AM4) in a year or two's time.
Or just get a 3600 in 2 - 3 year's time, and buy a new GPU then. With Ryzen you will have some options and an easy upgrade path, at least to anything in the 3000 range, and probably to the 4000 range.
budget post lockdown will be tight i guess
but i didn't want to go over budget ie 25/30k as i am converting bedroom into study for the kids noting how much we are working from home recently

have home renovation to still do and my tv will i think need replacing some time this year.. lasted well for its price and time

so that is why the 3200g is in range... i would have gotten the 1600af but it would mean sacrifice somewhere else in the build

furpile

Expert Member
so that is why the 3200g is in range... i would have gotten the 1600af but it would mean sacrifice somewhere else in the build
Just a note, I see Wootware is out of stock on the 1600AF now but they say stock is on the way. I also see the 1600AF is more expensive than the 3200G (R2400 vs R2200), but if you wanted to go this route you can get a really budget GPU for what you are going to use it for. Cheapest on Wootware now is a GT710 for less than R900. But that would still be roughly R1k more than what you settled on. Just don't think you need a R2k+ GPU for a basic machine.

I bought an almost new RX570 8GB on carb in December for R1500 as well.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Just a note, I see Wootware is out of stock on the 1600AF now but they say stock is on the way. I also see the 1600AF is more expensive than the 3200G (R2400 vs R2200), but if you wanted to go this route you can get a really budget GPU for what you are going to use it for. Cheapest on Wootware now is a GT710 for less than R900. But that would still be roughly R1k more than what you settled on. Just don't think you need a R2k+ GPU for a basic machine.

I bought an almost new RX570 8GB on carb in December for R1500 as well.
Never get a gt710 it's slower than most igps.

furpile

Expert Member
Probably carbonite.
Yes on Carbonite.

Never get a gt710 it's slower than most igps.
It was just an example. If you only need it for a homework pc it should be good enough. You can upgrade it later when the requirements change. Although if you can get a better card for a few hundred more that is a better deal. Just didn't want him to think he has to get a R2k+ card for a home pc.

maqs

with the way it's adding up it might go over the 10k i was putting aside but not much more

i know i can swap the CPU and add the card for +/- 1000 but i don't envisage any gaming for at least some time.

im not as young as i used to be and i wish i had time to game... my PC way back in the day was built from scratch with SLI setup so i know the benefits of good GPU.

just not needing it and i think it would best serve me to spend the extra in additional drives

for music, movies, kids growing up etc

Lupus

Honorary Master
with the way it's adding up it might go over the 10k i was putting aside but not much more

i know i can swap the CPU and add the card for +/- 1000 but i don't envisage any gaming for at least some time.

im not as young as i used to be and i wish i had time to game... my PC way back in the day was built from scratch with SLI setup so i know the benefits of good GPU.

just not needing it and i think it would best serve me to spend the extra in additional drives

for music, movies, kids growing up etc
But music and movies you can stream from the internet? The days of people building NAS's are almost over, except for a few dedicated pirates out there.
I built my sons/wives PC for under R10k and it's a 1600af with 16gigs of RAM, 256gb SSD, 1TB normal and a RX580 but last years pricing was a little better on certain things like hdds and ssds. But this will total 9654 you'll need to find a decent chassis though.
RX570 at Carbonite
Yes only 4GB but that will be better than an APU
1586319757351.png
In fact pay R150 more at takealot and get a 2TB hdd
OS goes on the 240gb everything else on the 2tb

Last edited: