The PC Build Thread

cavedog

Honorary Master
Last year I upgraded my i5-4750 to a Ryzen 3600, paired with a X570 mobo and 16 GB DDR4-3200. At the time I had to stick with my GTX 1060-3GB.

Today I pulled the trigger on a RTX 2060 Super. Now I should be good for a couple of years.

Next up, I'll have to replace my 23" 1080p 60 Hz screen. I'll see if I can get a 27" 1440p 120 Hz. But that will be a bit later.

That is so on my wish list to get a decent 120Hz screen.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
The problem is, my screen is about 9-10 years old, but it has never given me a single issue. So it is very difficult to justify getting a new screen.

But a big, high refresh rate screen would be wonderful. For now I just want to get better than 40-50 fps on low/medium graphics settings on my games.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I just bit the bullet and got the LG from Evetech, will see when it arrives, my Asus I'm currently using is 2 years old but it's been a pretty good monitor, just it's only 60hz.

Choppie81

Been waiting from Monday for my Takealot order to ship, everything was in stock in CPT. Nothing shipped yet :(
That’s unlucky. All 3 my orders shipped and two of them were CPT stock only. One arrived today... next scheduled for tomorrow and Friday.

Choppie81

I just bit the bullet and got the LG from Evetech, will see when it arrives, my Asus I'm currently using is 2 years old but it's been a pretty good monitor, just it's only 60hz.
Stop it now please.., this lockdown already made me spend close on R30k on a new pc build... I DONT NEED TO GET A NEW MONITOR... so don’t tell me how good it is when you get is :)

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Stop it now please.., this lockdown already made me spend close in R30k on a new pc build... I DONT NEED TO GET A NEW MONITOR... so don’t tell me how good it is when you get is :)

Well my Son's 144Hz Samsung monitor is awesome with a 1060 GPU driving it. :p

cavedog

Honorary Master

Which one I was looking at a the website today and eyeing the LG but I'm not spending ANY money now until I actually go back to work. Saving won't last at this rate :eek:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Stop it now please.., this lockdown already made me spend close in R30k on a new pc build... I DONT NEED TO GET A NEW MONITOR... so don’t tell me how good it is when you get is :)
I just spent 11k during this lockdown :(. The mobo, CPU and RAM for the family computer. It'll get my Asus monitor.
The RX580 and the 1600AF are about 20 to 25% slower than my 2600 and 1660ti at the same resolution and settings. Now that's still better than having to drop the settings

Lupus

Honorary Master
Which one I was looking at a the website today and eyeing the LG but I'm not spending ANY money now until I actually go back to work. Saving won't last at this rate :eek:
The 32 1440p 144hz one

cavedog

Honorary Master
The 32 1440p 144hz one

Ohh I was looking at the smaller 1080p sister. Anyways I will revisit my budget when our lockdown is over so do let us know how well it works.

I saw a youtube video that showed that even if you have a high spec gaming pc a 60Hz monitor does create some lag which was interesting to see actually.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ohh I was looking at the smaller 1080p sister. Anyways I will revisit my budget when our lockdown is over so do let us know how well it works.

I saw a youtube video that showed that even if you have a high spec gaming pc a 60Hz monitor does create some lag which was interesting to see actually.
I've not got a high spec pc just a mid range one, but 60hz does seem to have a few hiccups.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I can just hear the Missus now...
Yeah mine wasn't happy with either purchases but she eventually got into it when POE ran better. Though she's not played for the last 2 weeks thanks to school work taking more of her time.