- Sep 25, 2013
This thread will serve as a more dedicated area to discuss Poynting antennas which have been going on in other threads. It'll be nice to have all the info in one place and stop going off topic in the other threads (Telkom Mobile LTE Speed Test thread, Huawei B593 discussion thread).
Firstly, where does one buy Poynting antennas? Visit their webshop here: http://www.antennas.co.za/
Local product info: http://www.poyntingurban.com/
Visit their European site for alternate product info: http://poynting-europe.com/
Not sure which antenna you need? Ask here.
Why choose Poynting?
- You get what you pay for
- 5-7m cables included with some products (directional antennas, not omnis)
- High-quality, low-loss coaxial cable used
- DC-short built into their products (forces antenna detection and also helps with vicinity lightning strikes*)
- Showroom at Samrand
- Face-to-face discussions and assistance at their Samrand office
- They offer a professional installation service
- They distribute worldwide and are one of the top antenna companies in the world!
- Antennas designed by their own ph.D's in Engineering (no fong kong)
* The pole which the antenna is mounted on must be properly grounded. This means that it must be mounted on an aluminium pole with a copper strap running down the pole into an appropriate spike (or 3 spikes) into moist soil. An additional aluminium pipe can be mounted horizontally above the antenna to take the brunt of any direct strikes.
The Huawei B593 LTE discussion thread
Antenna installation and alignment
Telkom Mobile LTE Leaderboard
Why an outdoor antenna is a good idea
Why two antennas for LTE / antenna spacing
Poynting's product map
Poynting antennas mathematically proven to be worth their salt
Any suggestions to improve the thread are welcome. Please also point out any inaccuracies so I may correct them for the benefit of all users of this thread.
Edit: I'm aware that people still think I'm affiliated with Poynting even after the below disclaimer. I chose the thread topic due to other similar topics that already existed but without the necessary focus. To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any LTE antenna competitors in SA. Of the 3G antennas available, most are from Poynting! I buy my stuff from Poynting like anyone else and don't get a discount.
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Poynting, I'm just a big fan.