Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's hoping some of this works out. If they manage half of this, we'd be in a good place.
Yeah, then CoJ can mostly sidestep load shedding as CoCT does.

Must be nice...
 
Umvoti will be interesting to see. If the ANC sustains more heavy losses in all these elections, then it should be more than enough proof, that their support is disintegrating and fast too.

I agree with Dawie here.
Has anyone ever taken time to compare results of by-elections to the results of the actual election after that? Do the by-election winning party go on to keep the ward in the next election generally speaking? I still don't know what to make of by elections.
 

Here's hoping some of this works out. If they manage half of this, we'd be in a good place.
Tabled without drama, it's a rare occasion, hoping they do make it work.
 
Tabled without drama, it's a rare occasion, hoping they do make it work.

Yeah, that was surprising to me too, no drama, just getting on with it. I don't even mind the proposed rate increases, if **** just starts working properly.
 
I still don't know what to make of by elections.
The way I take it, is by-elections are an indicator of support in a particular region, which of course could influence national, and provincial elections and directly affect the makeup of a local gov which could lead to 'palace coups', etc.
 
The way I take it, is by-elections are an indicator of support in a particular region, which of course could influence national, and provincial elections and directly affect the makeup of a local gov which could lead to 'palace coups', etc.
I would still like to see some data on it because I am still not sure if the support is real or inflated by some other factors like low turnout. I guess it's possible that it might turn into actual support in some instances because there's lots of time between now and the next local election but generally I still cannot tell if the support is actually sustainable going into the next election.

For now what I have gathered is that the DA puts if lot effort in them, so does the EFF to some extent and generally the ANC are never bothered.
 
For now what I have gathered is that the DA puts if lot effort in them, so does the EFF to some extent
Cause while by-elections seem minuscule against the other two types of elections we have, by-elections can be quite influential, like I said they can indicate support for various "big" parties as well as have the potential to completely change a local gov and who governs there. Seems like these two parties and ASA understand this quite well.

Btw, I found a by-elections dashboard on the IEC's site.
and generally the ANC are never bothered.
When are they ever truly bothered?
 
Cause while by-elections seem minuscule against the other two types of elections we have, by-elections can be quite influential, like I said they can indicate support for various "big" parties as well as have the potential to completely change a local gov and who governs there. Seems like these two parties and ASA understand this quite well.

Btw, I found a by-elections dashboard on the IEC's site.

When are they ever truly bothered?
They are usually very bothered when it's the actual election.
 

The first bit of the speech:
Every South African citizen wants to see our country succeed, and our people prosper, despite the depths of our national depression.

For us to fix South Africa, we need a Marshall Plan! Not in the sense of copying post-World War Two efforts, but to put a clear plan in place that will give South Africans their marching orders, and to rebuild our collective attitudes toward rebuilding our country.

To that end, we must reimagine our social contract, our politics, and, by extension our economy.

All South Africans must agree to cooperate toward achieving our collective good.

I think all of us, honest South Africans, know that our country is in crisis.

Those who deny it, are those who selfishly profit from the crisis.

In the first instance, our national socio-economic crisis is a direct result of our politics.

In short, there are no thick lines demarcating neat boundaries between the three components of South Africa’s monumental crisis.

Yet it is possible, even necessary to characterise the components distinctly.

Failure to do so, would make the bigger crisis appear dauntingly complex, and therefore insurmountable. However, today I focus on the Economy.

Instead of rallying all citizens to work together, the South African economy inspires national discontent.

The grim iterations of the economic crisis have manifested into violent demonstrations of social dissatisfaction. With the unemployment rate currently standing at about 46.6% fast climbing towards the 50s, and the youth bearing the most brunt at about 74%, it follows that we can a sharp rise in violent protests and xenophobic violence.

Before I get the hairs on your back to stand sharply upright and give you the expected chills…let me once more address my stance on Xenophobia, because I am continuously counted among xenophobic South Africans.

My utterances on the issue of immigration have always been clear and consistent, just that sometimes our society suffers from deliberate selective hearing.
 
Cool, but what's the plan to fill the tax hole and cover injuries due to road accidents?

From the Steenhuisen part of the vid I watched is that the RAF Levy thing is to exempt those who already have private insurance cover from paying the levy if I understand correctly? So in other words the Levy won't completely disappear but private insurance users (who most likely won't use RAF) wouldn't have to pay the levy.
 

From the Steenhuisen part of the vid I watched is that the RAF Levy thing is to exempt those who already have private insurance cover from paying the levy if I understand correctly? So in other words the Levy won't completely disappear but private insurance users (who most likely won't use RAF) wouldn't have to pay the levy.

Be interesting to see how that could be implemented, but I'd be all for it...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X