The Tattoo Thread

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Thanks for referencing Fallen Heroes @ArtyLoop and @PoppieChoffel. I had a look at their site and their work is amazing.

One more noob question. I am aware that most tattoo artists do not copy the work of others, but does that include using pictures of other tattoos when consulting and coming up with ideas for your tattoo?

PoppieChoffel

Executive Member
Thanks for referencing Fallen Heroes @ArtyLoop and @PoppieChoffel. I had a look at their site and their work is amazing.

One more noob question. I am aware that most tattoo artists do not copy the work of others, but does that include using pictures of other tattoos when consulting and coming up with ideas for your tattoo?
No, they have no issue with reference pictures. Try and get together as many as you can, and browse through the different artist portfolio's to see which style best suits what you want done, they all have their own specific style they are best at / prefer. Identify which artist you like, then request a consult booking to go and chat to them about your piece.

Be warned most of the artists at FH have long waiting lists. Even for consults. Worth the wait, though!

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
No, they have no issue with reference pictures. Try and get together as many as you can, and browse through the different artist portfolio's to see which style best suits what you want done, they all have their own specific style they are best at / prefer. Identify which artist you like, then request a consult booking to go and chat to them about your piece.

Be warned most of the artists at FH have long waiting lists. Even for consults. Worth the wait, though!
This ^^^^
I have an entire folder of images I collected (and yes some I even downloaded from sonicthehedgehog.com back when they didn't secure their site properly) which I gave to the studio. We use these extensively when I am inked. I can share my work sheet with you here:

theratman

Executive Member
That Amy Rose tattoo came out great @ArtyLoop

I've got loads or work I need done, but I'm not the spring chicken I used to be.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Eventual full sleeve?
Correct. I am being tasked with providing all the artwork. It would have been easy if SEGA wasn't removing a lot of the stuff from the web.
I am looking for, in particular, the official art reference + pantone chart for the item capsules in Sonic Adventure, as well as the spring pads.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Had to do some tree felling last night after one of the trees on the sidewalk fell over and onto our wall.
In the process of battling through the branches with the chainsaw I managed to pick up quite a few scratches and cuts.

One of the deeper scratches is straight over my latest forearm piece.

Any special care I can take of it so that it heals properly?

The_David

Had to do some tree felling last night after one of the trees on the sidewalk fell over and onto our wall.
In the process of battling through the branches with the chainsaw I managed to pick up quite a few scratches and cuts.

As long as you didnt cut right through to the dermis it should be ok. Once its healed maybe use tissue oil so you dont get scar tissue. Dont pick the scab.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member

Awwww shiiiitttt that sucks... Soz man...

schuits

Expert Member
I'm contemplating getting my 1st tat.
Along the lines of these pictures, it's a Valknut, also known as Odin's knot.
Was first thinking of getting it on my left inner wrist, but it might not be appreciated at work.
So might get it on my left should, nothing to big. Thoughts?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Was first thinking of getting it on my left inner wrist, but it might not be appreciated at work.
View attachment 714665View attachment 714663
First of all, congrats on wanting to become part of the family.
Secondly, placement: I would say that's a pretty complex tattoo and would become difficult for the artist if you had to reduce it to fit on your wrist. Also beware that if your inner wrist lies on a desk a lot (like when you code on a PC and you do a lot of keyboard work) it might not hold up well. I am working on a sleeve and its something that does worry me, considering I am typing this response with my inner arm resting on the desk.

Have you got an artist in mind yet? Which part of SA do you live in?

schuits

Expert Member
First of all, congrats on wanting to become part of the family.
Secondly, placement: I would say that's a pretty complex tattoo and would become difficult for the artist if you had to reduce it to fit on your wrist. Also beware that if your inner wrist lies on a desk a lot (like when you code on a PC and you do a lot of keyboard work) it might not hold up well. I am working on a sleeve and its something that does worry me, considering I am typing this response with my inner arm resting on the desk.

Have you got an artist in mind yet? Which part of SA do you live in?
Thanks!
Good advice on the placement.
I'm near Kempton Park. The dude at blazing hand tattoo's has done some work for my wife and daughter and I'm pretty happy with that. But suggestions are more than welcome.

I don't really want to hand the guy a picture and ask him to copy it. Rather a set of ideas, which he can use to make his own art.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Thanks!
Good advice on the placement.
I'm near Kempton Park. The dude at blazing hand tattoo's has done some work for my wife and daughter and I'm pretty happy with that. But suggestions are more than welcome.

I don't really want to hand the guy a picture and ask him to copy it. Rather a set of ideas, which he can use to make his own art.
It is going to depend on the kind of art and what you expect. The only way is to consult with the artist. Book a 1/2 hour consult, have a chat, take the image along and listen to your artist.
Also try and think long term, its going to be there for a long time, so make sure your vision and ideas are consistent.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Just a heads-up. I am now in possession of all the offical art references from SEGA in Japan. This will considerably aid us when we do future tattoos.
Its all legit and above board, and part of the process of my pet project you will find out later about ;)

syntax

Executive Member
View attachment 714665View attachment 714663
the advice on placement is spot on I think. You will struggle to get the detail you want on an area that small
You might get away with it higher up on the forearm