The Top Gear Thread (Post JC; RH & JM)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I'm definitely watching this :)

No stupid American cliche in a racing suit, thank **********

Dave

Honorary Master
I watched it a bit earlier, and it was leagues better than the Evans crap we had before.

Chris Harris is a bit wooden and stilted but not annoyingly so, Joey and Rory did a good job IMO.

‘Top Gear’ returned to our screens on Sunday night, and from the off, it was immediately clearly that the new team of Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris and Rory Reid, has worked tirelessly to play to its strengths, previously overshadowed by former frontman Chris Evans.

This meant we had an hour of three blokes, who clearly love cars, get on with one another enormously well, but are in no rush to emulate the much-prized chemistry, often with an edge, that made ‘Top Gear’ with Clarkson and Co such compulsory viewing beyond the nation’s rev-heads.
More at http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...k_58bc4b60e4b0d2821b4ecfe7?zsix7oiqy4zog8pvi&

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Top Gear Thread (Post JC; RH & JM)

Cool Dave. I have it on the hdd as well as Extra Gear 2401. Will watch later & report back.

Last edited:

Toxxyc

Expert Member
So I've not seen the new Top Gear, mostly because the red-headed dude annoys me. Worth the watch, or should I just stick to TGT?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
So I've not seen the new Top Gear, mostly because the red-headed dude annoys me. Worth the watch, or should I just stick to TGT?
The "red-headed dude" has been given the boot less than a week after the S23 Finale aired last year.

So I say def give it a watch.

Without even watching it I know the car selection & production value will be top notch.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ok TG 2401 & Extra Gear 201 done & dusted.

1st off Extra Gear is still pretty much a waste & really not worth the dl. It's just bland & the new host is crappy.

Now to TG. Chris Evans is binned & some good changes were made. It's now much much better!

What I liked:

- Chris; Matt & Rory on the whole make make a fairly decent team. There is potential there.

- The Original TG track is back...That's good!

- The new "Reasonable Fast Car" is a Toyota GT86...Lovely!

- The opening review with Chris & the insane Ferrari FXX-K. Also called the Ferrari ****.

- The idea of the high mileage cars challenge in Kazakhstan.

- The new intro.

What I did not like:

- Last Season Chris.E was the lead presenter. This time there is none. So all 3 guys share equal screentime. That's fine but in the "Star" section all 3 now sit & share in the interview. That's weird...

- On the Star section, it is too drawn out.

- Some parts of the dialogue is just waay to cheesy & cringeworthy at times.

- What's with all the shaking hands & hugging?

- Matt tries too hard at times & often his jokes are flow.

- I like the idea of the Kazakhstan high mileage challenge but as I watched it got boring & not terribly interesting.

On the whole a vast improvement on S23. The best compliment I can give is that it *doesn't* try to be GT this time around.

I will be watching the reminding 6 epi's & will be reporting back.

justplain

Expert Member
I enjoyed it.
I think the three of them get along/gel better.
quitel iked the FXXK vid. Would have liked to see a full 3-5 seconds of the speedo...the rate it gathered speed was nuts.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Buddy watching it now so I'm not sure, but does McAvoy actually set a time in the celeb car? Right now they just showed him spinning on some practice laps, then he's sitting there while they're mumbling on about unrelated stuff, then they cut to a cheap car challenge :wtf:

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Much better than the last season. It just needs a little time to mature.

Tinuva

The Magician
Buddy watching it now so I'm not sure, but does McAvoy actually set a time in the celeb car? Right now they just showed him spinning on some practice laps, then he's sitting there while they're mumbling on about unrelated stuff, then they cut to a cheap car challenge :wtf:
He does, bit later in the ep. I also thought that was a bit odd but ohwell. Still enjoyed ep.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Perfection is impossible to achieve with cars, so I guess it wouldn't be fair to expect it with car shows.

I loved the Ferrari segment, it felt a lot more "meaty" than that type of segment on The Grand Tour (just better camera work really).

Kazakhstan lost the plot though: the cars were lame, they didn't break down (that's not Top Gear!) and the country was bland as hell (right up to the last 10 seconds of the segment).

Also what was with Chris insulting the poor celebrity by pointing out three times (3!) that the 86's stability control had saved the day rather than his driving? Maybe it was an in-joke we couldn't catch but it was kinda embarrassing. Also Chris laughed waaaaay too much at the tiniest jokes from the other two, kinda nervous maybe?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
In studio banter still very stilted and scripted. Ferrari segment was a thing of beauty. Not only the car, but Harris' presentation of it. Can't wait to see that set a lap time around the track (and so glad to see the original track is back!). 'Hmm-ing' and 'Huh-ing' about the celebrity segment, although it is tough to formulate an opinion based on one episode. Usually it's celebs just plugging their latest book, movie, album etc... Guess it's just what we became used to.

New studio looks very hip and chic. Smart lighting, furniture, cars mounted high up on balustrades. Certainly not the old school feel of the old school presenters.

Overall, I'd give it a very solid 6.5/10 (half a point lost due to the fairly mundane Kazakhstan cheap car challenge). Definitely better than the Evans series.

simm_card

Expert Member
/Me calling old Top Gear and they don't answer ...huuuuuuur...

[video=youtube;_yH5iyn81Ks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yH5iyn81Ks[/video]