The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

maumau

Honorary Master
Got this in an email today, data generated by Investec. It makes an interesting read

Personally I would swap the probabilities between the base case and lite domestic downturn case

View attachment 697591
I don't understand that thing. Do they think ZAR will weaken or will it strengthen before it weakens again? Say over the next 6 months.

Segg

Expert Member
I don't understand that thing. Do they think ZAR will weaken or will it strengthen before it weakens again? Say over the next 6 months.
So looking at their prediction (Base Case) it will recover to around 14.30 before strengthening to 13.90 by year end, subject to the conditions happening in the description below the base case figures (which is exactly why I think the lite domestic downturn case is way more likely)

krycor

Honorary Master
Just not sure on Q2 Gdp numbers..

No load shedding but there was job cuts, elections, low inflation.. I dunno, off a big retraction in Q1 with load shedding maybe we get out of jail this go round unlike last year?

VAT or some other tax announcement will be interesting in mini budget in October too as they like announcing coming changes ahead of feb. I dunno, feels like we circling the drain, expenses far exceeding income that they need to somehow increase. We know medical credit likely dropping but that’s kinda spoken for with NHI.

Swa

Honorary Master
Well let's be honest. Our GDP didn't really grow as such. It was mainly supported by mining from a weak Rand ironically. Our most important sectors transport, construction and agriculture were negative. Manufacturing grew by only 2.1%. The rest of the sectors are sort of circulatory and expected to "grow" in a bad economy. As soon as people start analysing this they'll come to the conclusion it's all smoke and mirrors.

krycor

Honorary Master
Well let's be honest. Our GDP didn't really grow as such. It was mainly supported by mining from a weak Rand ironically. Our most important sectors transport, construction and agriculture were negative. Manufacturing grew by only 2.1%. The rest of the sectors are sort of circulatory and expected to "grow" in a bad economy. As soon as people start analysing this they'll come to the conclusion it's all smoke and mirrors.
Still better than what happens in the US though.. they publish and celebrate predictions and when actual and corrections come it’s swept under carpet.

Kinda while recession is found 6-9months post fact there.. here the numbers are a bit more reflective.

krycor

Honorary Master
So.. 2nd US interest rate cut,
QE round 4in the US signaled, similar happening for EU.

Watch and wait I guess? Every recession related tracking has triggered so not surprised they throwing money at it, the American way.

I see Trump is trying hard to make his only options dictator or war to distract/delay indefinitely the election? Fun times..

Lupus

Honorary Master
I see we dropped down to almost 15 again after being at R14.60 for awhile. The volatility of the currency is annoying