The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

DarkImpact

Can also create a USD account on easyequities if you are looking to invest in shares offshore:

Messugga

Honorary Master
Which I don't really see the point of. If you're trying to do the Forex trading thing, go leveraged. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. The only reason you should be swapping ZAR for USD is because you need USD.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Which I don't really see the point of. If you're trying to do the Forex trading thing, go leveraged. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. The only reason you should be swapping ZAR for USD is because you need USD.
Or you're diversifying your cash reserves?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Disagree, you can also buy USD to protect your purchasing power over the long term.

FlashSA

Executive Member
So your safety fund is based on an unsecured instrument traded on the JSE, which you're planning on selling when the country goes tits up. Great.
Please follow my posts. The FNB Global Account is a risk free banking account in your choice of USD, Euro, AUSD etc. That is where I am starting to build a foreign currency nest egg. Downside = little to no interest earned on the money. Upside = if the Rand tanks, your money is safe in foreign currency and you can change back to Rands within minutes....

Messugga

Honorary Master
Please follow my posts. The FNB Global Account is a risk free banking account in your choice of USD, Euro, AUSD etc. That is where I am starting to build a foreign currency nest egg. Downside = little to no interest earned on the money. Upside = if the Rand tanks, your money is safe in foreign currency and you can change back to Rands within minutes....
Whoops. Thought you were the ETN guy. Your solution actually makes sense to me.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Global Account is nice indeed.
You "buy" Forex" at an agreed rate - so watch that rate, and you dont have to accept the offer.
Doesnt matter whether other people see the point of it or not .... its what you have decided and good for you.

Right now, Ben Franklin and Useless S Grant are nice pals to have lying around. :)

@WingNut ..... if ever you are in the area :)

1590085919086.png

krycor

Honorary Master

In short, if a nation does not produce any actual products to offset against their printing then the printing of money does nothing more than create short term illusion that you are better off but mid to long term the fact nothing gets produced will kick in quickly.
Will not products but value.. value and efficiencies.

Value can be derived by products or services sold, efficiencies in producing those products or delivering those services.

Now if you look at the last few years western world fast hitting their labour efficiency cap and now going towards autonomous mechanized labour which bumps it up some more.

This kills their labour which post service revolution the economy is already consumer based and just for good measure ultra capitalistic models are killing itself with healthcare becoming more important.

Slap on the cost disparity based on reserve status and you can easily see short of us printing money at a rate to cheapen debt or gov doing something ultra stupid we not hitting the same limits.

Only way I see fiat issue resolving itself is a new independant reserve currency and USD floating vs their debt etc ie japanification in a lot of ways. US won’t like it but the other than defaulting seems way it’s gonna go. Just hope for their sake they can pay off without being reserve currency which I don’t think is possible.. population size matters and theirs is tiny. Ie 300m consumers vs >1t in China, India, other Asian countries(combined), Africa (combined) (economic regional block power).