The ZAR Exchange Rate Thread

MirageF1

Executive Member
Rand sub 21 for first time in 3+ months

Currently trading at 20.876

16.54 to the Greenback.

air

Expert Member
@Cage Rattler, dumb it down for me please, ZAR be acting strangely, considering current circumstances. What do the propellorheads have to say? Cheers for the inputs!

3WA

Executive Member
Today looks like a good day to buy dollars.

Hovering at R16.40

Arzy

Honorary Master
I'm sure they'll drop it by another 25 points.

I wonder though when the banks will have to start reducing their margin.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm sure they'll drop it by another 25 points.

I wonder though when the banks will have to start reducing their margin.
Jeez, already at 2.5%. At this rate soon we'll enter negative rates as well.

John Tempus

Expert Member
You don't need a fortune teller to predict where the rand might be , it is not long term sustainable and that is the only problem. The bounce back to R20 and beyond is going to be far more brutal than the short term recovery that is driven by speculate gambling.

Look at the pre 2008 global recession, the rand peak on and short term recovered for a few months before the world started to get their **** together and since then the Rand kept losing ground.

I see the same thing now, if the Rand strengthen like this be really concerned that we are about to hit a global recession and the longer the rand recovers at this pace the worse this recession is likely to be.

The rand recovering and recovering quickly is a short term speculative result that is masking a much bigger global problem and will bounce back way worse than the short term recovery.

TLDR; Its all speculative gambling strengthening the rand. There is absolutely sweet fkall happening in SA that would encourage long term sustainability for investors to get involved or to have any long term faith in the Rand.

Last edited: