This is why I pay for Cool Ideas

Splinter

Honorary Master
Been playing Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim for the last couple of weeks. Just found out that Borderlands 3 dropped some more DLC.

A 15.6GB download.

Started at 21:05 (9:05 pm). Download completed, at latest, 21:20 (9:20pm).

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hope Vodacom can go live this week so I can also sign up (via CISP).

I'll probably start with the 40/40 until I get my Telkom and Afrihost cancelled. Vodacom is stupid expensive.
1593373005214.png

I am very happy with the Fixed LTE speeds I get so far. A higher upload will be nice for my server though. And this is through a VPN.

1593372872808.png

Last edited:

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Been playing Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim for the last couple of weeks. Just found out that Borderlands 3 dropped some more DLC.

A 15.6GB download.

I don't want to sound stupid but the download speeds will probably be same with a different(decent) ISP? :p

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member

A 15.6GB download.

So you're saying you're not getting full speed with cisp? Assuming you have 200 down it should've taken 11 minutes. Your avg speed down for 15.6GB over 15min is 150 down. Never knew cisp offered 150 down packages.

s0lar

Expert Member
So you're saying you're not getting full speed with cisp? Assuming you have 200 down it should've taken 11 minutes. Your avg speed down for 15.6GB over 15min is 150 down. Never knew cisp offered 150 down packages.

Most likely other downloads/activity on the line. Not everybody is a one person household.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Most likely other downloads/activity on the line. Not everybody is a one person household.
True. Its important to have fairness when there is multiple users on a link. That is where CAKE and FQ_CODEL are darn good.

furpile

Expert Member

I'll probably start with the 40/40 until I get my Telkom and Afrihost cancelled. Vodacom is stupid expensive.
View attachment 866823

I am very happy with the Fixed LTE speeds I get so far. A higher upload will be nice for my server though. And this is through a VPN.

View attachment 866819
You will be glad you signed up with CISP. Vodacom actually dropped their prices if you take a contract, plus huge specials now to get sign ups. But many people in my area are struggling with them, to the extent that some of them can almost not even manage a Teams meeting. My 10/5 line with CISP on Vodacom has no issues. You also can't beat the support they have here on the forum.

RedViking

Nord of the South
You will be glad you signed up with CISP. Vodacom actually dropped their prices if you take a contract, plus huge specials now to get sign ups. But many people in my area are struggling with them, to the extent that some of them can almost not even manage a Teams meeting. My 10/5 line with CISP on Vodacom has no issues. You also can't beat the support they have here on the forum.
I'll NEVER touch a contract Ever with Vodacon. Ever.

Just hope they don't drag their feet to make it available to other ISP's so they can get as many as possible direct signups.

Crowley

Executive Member

View attachment 866823

View attachment 866819
Stay away from Vodacom for fibre. Been there, got throttled to 2Mbps on a 100Mbps line.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Does Vodacom lockout the router on their links?

grok

Honorary Master

A 15.6GB download.

Roughly how many LDH (Linux Distros per Hour) is that?

s0lar

Expert Member
True. Its important to have fairness when there is multiple users on a link. That is where CAKE and FQ_CODEL are darn good.

Woah! Haven’t looked at this in a while. I remember setting up tc token buckets in 2.4 kernel on a shared 384 adsl. Things have come a way since then.

furpile

Expert Member
I'll NEVER touch a contract Ever with Vodacon. Ever.

Just hope they don't drag their feet to make it available to other ISP's so they can get as many as possible direct signups.

Unfortunately they have lowered their prices a few months ago already, and nothing has been passed on to the ISP's. Also the specials that they have to get people onto a contract is crazy, a friend gets 20/20 uncapped for less than what I pay for 10/5 uncapped. But I will gladly pay a bit extra for the service I have received from CISP.

I actually gave up on fibre because I did not want to go with Vodacom, until a few months later someone on MyBB enlightened me to the few other ISP's on Vodacom's network. The fact that they say the give yo a free router but then want to do a credit check on you with a month to month plan really annoyed me. They actually lease the router to you over 12 months hence the credit check.

Stay away from Vodacom for fibre. Been there, got throttled to 2Mbps on a 100Mbps line.

This was the other big issue with Vodacom, their FUP is ridiculous. Why would you throttle a 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps both to 2 Mbps? Nevermind that there is a FUP on uncapped.

Does Vodacom lockout the router on their links?

From what I could see yes. I went with CISP who give you all the freedom to do what you want. From other forum posts I gathered that you have to contact Vodacom to change your wifi password. I have not gotten into any of my friends routers to see what they allow yet.

Splinter

Honorary Master

You're such a pee-on-parader :)

You should know that international speeds are slower....

Splinter

Honorary Master

Also note I said "latest" - because that's when I went back and it had finished already :)

MRTOM

Also busy signing up with Cool Ideas canceled with Vox they could not fix problem i had with them.For now only 10/5 package do mostly gaming and little Youtube and Twitch.:)