TopTV Install Process guide - Read first

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Just thought I'd compile one of these so we can have a little clarity for folks :)

Step 1 - Buying the stuff

Buy your decoder from either Pep, House and Home or Game.
At the moment (and until TopTV changes it) it's R499.

In your box you should have:

1 x remote
2 x AAA batteries
1 x Decoder
1 x Smart Card

You may or may not have a voucher for installation. If anything is missing I urge you to contact the shop you purchased from and ask!

Step 2 - Getting a customer number

OK so you've got your decoder and you want TopTV. What's next? Phoning the help centre to get allocated a customer number and given a list of installers.

1. Phone 08600 86788 (08600 TOPTV) and make the appropriate selections (1,2,3)
2. Have on hand: Your banking details and your ID number
• TopTV can only do debit orders from customers that bank with Standard Bank at this point. You may also pay your account via EFT or at any Standard Bank.
3. When you get through to a consultant, they will ask you for all your information as well as which package you want to be on. There are several threads on MyBB detailing exactly what the packages consist of and how much they cost.
4. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE CONSULTANT FOR A CUSTOMER NUMBER AND CALL REFERENCE NUMBER AS WELL AS BANKING DETAILS FOR TOPTV
5. The consultant will ask whether you'd like to have the numbers for installers or would like them to send your number to installers in your area. I'd strongly advise you to do both as this will allow you to keep in control to an extent.
6. If you're in one of the lucky areas, there is a list of installers (link later) for you to call.

Step 3 - Actually getting it all set up

If you're lucky, you either now have the number of an installer or an installer has now called you to set up a time. Excellent news, you'll be up in a matter of minutes.

Some guidelines for installers:

• Make sure your installer is TopTV accredited and if possible has gone on training with TopTV about decoders etc. Some installers are accredited and haven't gone on training (so don't know what to do with the decoder menus etc) and some installers have gone on training but aren't accredited (so TopTV will probably not pay them).

• DO NOT accept an installer that says they will charge you unless you fall into the categories below. This has been dealt with by TopTV and only under special circumstances should it cost you more than R499 to get up and running.

1) Cable longer than 25m will cost you extra - TopTV has provided for 25m per customer
2) Being far away from the installer will cost you extra - I believe there is a 5km radius

• DO NOT make an arrangement with an installer unless you're certain you can keep it - there are some installers that are charging cancellation fees so ask upfront.

• ASK about an extra point beforehand as you will be charged for this.

For a list of people who are accredited installers/have worked for everyone else:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?229112-TOPTv-Installers

Step 4 - Stuff to tell your installer

The information that TopTV has sent your installer is probably wrong. Use the excellent site at http://www.dishpointer.com/ to find the correct information. What you want is 4.8E Sirius 3,4 in the satellite selection menu.

When your installer has a signal, they're going to need to phone through to activate your unit. The number they have been given is the same overworked 08600 number we have so it may take some time.

[info removed to avoid abuse by non-installers] :D

Another alternative is for them to sms the following to 40008:

Installer ID: their installer ID
Smart Card #: xxxx xxxx xxxx (three sets of 4 numbers)

Which works perfectly :) Got a call and am now watching TopTV!

Step 5 - Paying and all that jazz

TopTV is only able to accept debit order payment from people banking with Standard Bank at present. However, there are other ways to pay.

EFT with your customer number as a reference:

TOPTV
STANDARD BANK SANDTON
Acc #: 252315553
Branch #: 019205
Current Account

Pay at any standard bank
Pay at Checkers etc

That's it, you should now be watching and enjoying TopTV :)

I'll add to this as and when I get more information, hope it's useful to someone.

Last edited:

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Thanks JD, added to the OP. We'll get this whole process working snap snap soon I hope :p

rashmirambiritch

Just thought I'd compile one of these so we can have a little clarity for folks :)

Step 1 - Buying the stuff

Buy your decoder from either Pep, House and Home or Game.
At the moment (and until TopTV changes it) it's R499.

In your box you should have:

1 x remote
2 x AAA batteries
1 x Decoder
1 x Smart Card

You may or may not have a voucher for installation. If anything is missing I urge you to contact the shop you purchased from and ask!

Step 2 - Getting a customer number

OK so you've got your decoder and you want TopTV. What's next? Phoning the help centre to get allocated a customer number and given a list of installers.

1. Phone 08600 86788 (08600 TOPTV) and make the appropriate selections (1,2,3)
2. Have on hand: Your banking details and your ID number
• TopTV can only do debit orders from customers that bank with Standard Bank at this point. You may also pay your account via EFT or at any Standard Bank.
3. When you get through to a consultant, they will ask you for all your information as well as which package you want to be on. There are several threads on MyBB detailing exactly what the packages consist of and how much they cost.
4. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE CONSULTANT FOR A CUSTOMER NUMBER AND CALL REFERENCE NUMBER AS WELL AS BANKING DETAILS FOR TOPTV
5. The consultant will ask whether you'd like to have the numbers for installers or would like them to send your number to installers in your area. I'd strongly advise you to do both as this will allow you to keep in control to an extent.
6. If you're in one of the lucky areas, there is a list of installers (link later) for you to call.

Step 3 - Actually getting it all set up

If you're lucky, you either now have the number of an installer or an installer has now called you to set up a time. Excellent news, you'll be up in a matter of minutes.

Some guidelines for installers:

• Make sure your installer is TopTV accredited and if possible has gone on training with TopTV about decoders etc. Some installers are accredited and haven't gone on training (so don't know what to do with the decoder menus etc) and some installers have gone on training but aren't accredited (so TopTV will probably not pay them).

• DO NOT accept an installer that says they will charge you. This has been dealt with by TopTV and only under special circumstances should it cost you more than R499 to get up and running. If anyone knows what the circumstances are (distance seems to play a part), please post and I'll put it here.

• DO NOT make an arrangement with an installer unless you're certain you can keep it - there are some installers that are charging cancellation fees so ask upfront.

• ASK about an extra point beforehand as you will be charged for this.

For a list of people who are accredited installers/have worked for everyone else:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?229112-TOPTv-Installers

Step 4 - Stuff to tell your installer

The information that TopTV has sent your installer is probably wrong. Use the excellent site at http://www.dishpointer.com/ to find the correct information. What you want is 4.8E Sirius 3,4 in the satellite selection menu.

When your installer has a signal, they're going to need to phone through to activate your unit. The number they have been given is the same overworked 08600 number we have so it may take some time.

[info removed to avoid abuse by non-installers] :D

Another alternative is for them to sms the following to 40008:

Installer ID: their installer ID
Smart Card #: xxxx xxxx xxxx (three sets of 4 numbers)

Which works perfectly :) Got a call and am now watching TopTV!

Step 5 - Paying and all that jazz

TopTV is only able to accept debit order payment from people banking with Standard Bank at present. However, there are other ways to pay.

EFT with your customer number as a reference:

TOPTV
STANDARD BANK SANDTON
Acc #: 252315553
Branch #: 019205
Current Account

Pay at any standard bank
Pay at Checkers etc

That's it, you should now be watching and enjoying TopTV :)

I'll add to this as and when I get more information, hope it's useful to someone.

Thanks :) Just a question though, do we use our account number as reference and do you have any idea how much the pro-rata fee is? I'd prefer to pay at chckers, pick and pay etc, do you by any chance hae Easypay details for this? Thanks so much:D

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Thanks :) Just a question though, do we use our account number as reference and do you have any idea how much the pro-rata fee is? I'd prefer to pay at chckers, pick and pay etc, do you by any chance hae Easypay details for this? Thanks so much:D

Reference is your customer number (I was 1078, dunno what you are) and as far as pro-rata goes, I have no idea - I don't think they've thought about that. It's close enough to the beginning of the month that I don't mind paying the full amount.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
They wouldn't give a customer number to us, or a reference number, or installer details, they said they would sms, but no sms!

AntiThesis

Executive Member
They wouldn't give a customer number to us, or a reference number, or installer details, they said they would sms, but no sms!

Damnit that sucks! Perhaps they've been told now to not give out customer numbers. Either that or the system is overworked and there are different people taking details while others capture later. I don't think anyone has actually had an sms from TopTV yet so eish. There have been a number of phonecalls to people though so perhaps there's hope there.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Excellent information could a mod please make this sticky -

EasyPay number will display on the next invoice they send via electronic mail - That what the consultant told me as I opt for direct deposit. And my Reference/Client Number is 4000+ - I could of been sorted out on Saturday but it appears the smart card could not be found - Finally a technical Guy added the details and phoned me as Promised.

When you phone the installer ask them nicely what areas do you do installation and also ask them if they know the process on getting paid by TopTv to do installation, do not fall a victim - Many people will claim they are TopTV installers but are not - If they know the method on getting paid then I would vouch for them - Also take down there name and if they cannot keep a promise to Install on a certain date. I am on my phone.

abjater

Not 100% sure, but INSIST on the number when you call them, the "system will SMS the numbers" seems a bit dodgy! A friend was still waiting for his number 5 hours later, so I told him to call again, to discover he is not on the system, for some reason, and had to do the customer details stuff all over again. So insist on that number, as AntiThesis said way up there in the thread!

nhlayisek0

called toptv 2day,got
thru but then they told me they cant give
me the customer no. thru da phone and
they will send me an sms,it has been 8
hours nw,my installation date is 2moro,if
they dnt send the sms 2nyt then im
screwed coz i wil have 2 arrange
another date

mazelove

Hey guys how much cable are we intitled to ? My installer told me i am going to need about 60m and he is going to charge me extra , is that right ?

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I suspect that's one of the things that's right - I'll look for the reference but I think it was somewhere like 20 or 25m free.

mazelove

It seems i am going to pay R175 for extra cable, it hurts. Suppose if i had to use lets say 10m cable were they going to give me my remaining 15m ??? i just wonder ...lol

RichardG

Honorary Master
Hey guys how much cable are we intitled to ? My installer told me i am going to need about 60m and he is going to charge me extra , is that right ?

Supply him with the cable - you only entitled to 25 m.

psainsbury

I've had great service from TopTV so far (I'm at the point of getting an installer to come do the installation). Took about 10 mins on hold before I spoke to someone at TopTV who was super friendly and really great to deal with. Explained the whole payment, installation and activation process and gave me both my customer and account number. Got my SMS welcoming me and another with installer details about 15 minutes after the call. Looks like their efforts to beef up their call centre are working well.

I'll be calling the installers on Monday (don't want to interrupt their weekend with calls and it's not like they'd be able to install today anyway ;) ) Thanks a lot for the guide. :)