TopTV Install Process guide - Read first

sualk_10

This is a message to Antithesis.

I just got my TopTV decoder and dish set up and would like to know what my next step is?

Do I go to Checkers Easy Pay and make the deposit now or do I wait for a notification from TopTV telling me that everything is up and ready to go?

The installer sent an sms with my smart card number etc.

I would really appreciate a reply from you or anyone who has got TopTV up and running already.

psainsbury

Hey Sualk - The official process should be that TopTV will activate your subscription, and then you'll get an SMS telling you what you owe TopTV.

From my experience, the Activation doesn't always go smoothly, so its probably best to give TopTV a call and confirm that they have activated your subscription. (Apparently you should leave it on Channel 160 while it's activating - not sure why it makes a difference but that's what I was told to do) I was activated on Tuesday but I still haven't received an sms telling me what I owe them, so that side of things might take a while. (I'm going to be calling them today to find out what I owe them since I don't want to be cut off for non payment even though I haven't been asked to pay anything yet)

sualk_10

This is a message for any upcoming TopTV customers looking for an installer in the Bluff(Durban) area.

I highly recommend "Matsat" they're very good and had my satelite up and running in no time.

ismaild

Hey, i never got the 'voucher', would i still be able to get mine installed?

psainsbury

Hey, i never got the 'voucher', would i still be able to get mine installed?

I haven't heard of anyone who did get a voucher... When you have the box, call TopTV, they'll take your details and give you a customer number and send you details of installers in your area. You then call the installer, give them your customer number and they come out and install. (I'm assuming they confirm with TopTV that you are eligable for a free install) Some installers have been trying to charge for the installation, so it's best to confirm with them that it's a free installation before they come.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
I'm often bored :)

As far as I know the installers don't phone TopTV first - they just pitch, install and then attempt to get it activated.

sualk_10

I finally got everything sorted out with TopTV this morning.

My package(R249) is up and running.

Loving Kerrang!

I have to take my hat off to the TopTV call centre.The friendliest people you can have :)

I think the longer TopTV will be running,the more channels they will add.I'm also sure we can expect SyFy,Comedy Central too in the not so distant future.

I'm so happy to have made the jump from DSTV.AMEN to that.

Iwojima

Expert Member
@Anti: I'm keen to get myself setup this weekend. Any idea where can I buy the decoder and the quickest local route for installation? I'm also in East London :)

EDIT: Managed to find stock @ Game. Now the battle to get it up and running...

Last edited:

engelbma

Got decoder and everything installed yesterday, yipeeee. Installer sent SMS around 17:00 Friday, it is 11:48 next day and still no news on activation.
What was the response time for activation you experienced?

psainsbury

My initial activation took about 5 minutes to start, and then failed. Took me till mid day the following day to call the call centre again, and it was up and running 15 minutes after I put down the phone. It seems like the volume of activations causes some of them to fail, and they just need to re-send the activation signal for your decoder.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
The installer we arranged last week Tuesday says that they are not doing any more installs till they get paid by TopTV.

I have already paid the difference required for the month, guess I'll get credited but am not very happy about this.

acidb

Expert Member
The installer we arranged last week Tuesday says that they are not doing any more installs till they get paid by TopTV.

I have already paid the difference required for the month, guess I'll get credited but am not very happy about this.

Why pay them in advance without even having a setup installed?

I got mine installed this morning and still waiting for the activation, he sent the sms @ 12:30 but here I am still waiting....damn.

acidb

Expert Member
(Apparently you should leave it on Channel 160 while it's activating - not sure why it makes a difference but that's what I was told to do)

Since reading this, I've put the decoder onto this channel and it now says: "Sorry, this channel is not available"

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Why pay them in advance without even having a setup installed?

I got mine installed this morning and still waiting for the activation, he sent the sms @ 12:30 but here I am still waiting....damn.

As its not a very large amount I had to pay in and as I like getting things done I paid in advance.

TopTV paid them, they arrived yesterday and did the installation so all's well that ends well.

The installers really went out of there way to assist, Thanks Sats-R-Us :)

Also he sent the SMS last night but I only got an sms from TopTV after calling them and asking.

Edit:
They sorted it out yesterday :)

engelbma

Got decoder and everything installed yesterday, yipeeee. Installer sent SMS around 17:00 Friday, it is 11:48 next day and still no news on activation.

Got tired of waiting, went to their offices on Thursday, 5 minutes later activated. Got home = pure joy !!! Lesson 1 - Do not go Call Centre or SMS route if possible drive to Woodmead and get all your issues resolved. The folks are friendly and helpfull. Lady told me they are training more people for callcentre :)