Transferring of .com domain

Hi guys,

I am struggling to transfer my client's .com domain from their current host (which was created and managed by an other individual, let's call him Person B) to a new host (Axxess).

Usually I have worked with GoDaddy and bluehost, and how their process works is super simple. Basically unlock the domain that you want to to get transferred, get the authorization code (EPP), go back to GoDaddy's website, enter the domain name, enter the auth code, and there you go (very summed up I know).

But this time I thought let's give Axxess a go. So before anything, I contact Person B, ask him to unlock the domain, remove the domain privacy and give me the auth code. Person B does all that for me and sends the code. I go through the order process on Axxess's website, choose my hosting plan, and say I want to transfer the domain. Enter the domain, do my payment and I end up on the dashboard screen.

This is where I got very confused. Nowhere did Axxess ask me to enter the auth code. It also doesn't show any details about the state of the transfer. I wait a day to see if I or Person B get any emails. Nothing. I give Axxess a call and ask them where should I enter the auth code, or can I give them the code to start the transfer. They tell me, no, I'm not the one to enter the code. They have sent an email to the admin of the domain (Person B), and he should enter the auth code.

Again not GoDaddy nor Bluehost works like this. You enter the auth code on their site. But Axxess said never in the history of the internet has it ever worked like this (I call Bull). And after two weeks Person B still hasn't received any emails regarding the domain transfer. Person B asked his host are they blocking something, and they also confirmed the auth code should be entered from Axxess side before the process can continue.

Sorry for this long rant, but my question is, who is at fault here? Am I missing a step. Are SA ISP's way of doing this different? And what should my next steps be?

What you have explained is on par with how any tld is transferred.

I can then assume Absolute Hosting does it the way I am used to.

This might be a dumb question but can I cancel at Axxess and do the domain transfer with absolute hosting, or will that mess up the domain transfer too much..... because currently it's in........limbo.... for two weeks

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
I can then assume Absolute Hosting does it the way I am used to.

This might be a dumb question but can I cancel at Axxess and do the domain transfer with absolute hosting, or will that mess up the domain transfer too much..... because currently it's in........limbo.... for two weeks
Hi @VulneraryClown0

We handle transfers like everyone else and that is at the time of ordering you specify the EPP Code, and once paid the transfer will be initiated provided that the domain is unlocked and the EPP code correct.

I doubt the the transfer has been initiated from Axxess side considering that you haven't supplied them with the EPP code as of yet.

Bobbin

Executive Member
Yep, for .com domain definitely need that EPP code entered at the time of order. I did one fairly recently at another host. Sounds like OP got fed wrong info from Axxess.

Also once order/transfer and all that is done, don't forget to approve the ICANN verification email as well else domain will go into suspend while you fish for who got that email (unless you put your email down as owner). I assume this also applies everywhere.

Last edited:

Murmaider

Hi guys,

I am struggling to transfer my client's .com domain from their current host (which was created and managed by an other individual, let's call him Person B) to a new host (Axxess).

Usually I have worked with GoDaddy and bluehost, and how their process works is super simple. Basically unlock the domain that you want to to get transferred, get the authorization code (EPP), go back to GoDaddy's website, enter the domain name, enter the auth code, and there you go (very summed up I know).

But this time I thought let's give Axxess a go. So before anything, I contact Person B, ask him to unlock the domain, remove the domain privacy and give me the auth code. Person B does all that for me and sends the code. I go through the order process on Axxess's website, choose my hosting plan, and say I want to transfer the domain. Enter the domain, do my payment and I end up on the dashboard screen.

This is where I got very confused. Nowhere did Axxess ask me to enter the auth code. It also doesn't show any details about the state of the transfer. I wait a day to see if I or Person B get any emails. Nothing. I give Axxess a call and ask them where should I enter the auth code, or can I give them the code to start the transfer. They tell me, no, I'm not the one to enter the code. They have sent an email to the admin of the domain (Person B), and he should enter the auth code.

Again not GoDaddy nor Bluehost works like this. You enter the auth code on their site. But Axxess said never in the history of the internet has it ever worked like this (I call Bull). And after two weeks Person B still hasn't received any emails regarding the domain transfer. Person B asked his host are they blocking something, and they also confirmed the auth code should be entered from Axxess side before the process can continue.

Sorry for this long rant, but my question is, who is at fault here? Am I missing a step. Are SA ISP's way of doing this different? And what should my next steps be?

So this process actually depends on who the bankend ICANN Registrar is that Axxess is using.

There are 2 processes which can be used for a .com transfer. One being the one you describe of unlocking and attaining the EPP code and entering it at time of transfer (most commonly used).

However, _some_ ICANN registrars receive the transfer request and then do a whois lookup and gets the registrants information. They then sends the registrant an email saying that they have received a transfer request and the registrant needs to click on a link and enter the auth code to initiate the domain transfer.

However currently, this method only works if the registrant requests their existing ICANN registrar to remove the "Redaction" of their whois information before transferring the domain, else these emails don't ever reach the registrant.

There is provision for this method in the new RDAP implementation (which replaces whois) through authenticated lookups, but ICANN hasn't finalized how exactly they going to implement a centralized RDAP open id authentication or when. This will allow an ICANN registrar to lookup the un-redacted registrant information based on a transfer request (legitimate purpose).

I am however not aware of any of the big ICANN registrars still using this whois lookup method, maybe ask Axxess who they use as their ICANN registrar.

Regards,
Dave @ Domains.co.za

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
AFAIK Axxess use OpenSRS for their TLD's, and OpenSRS' transfer system follows the regular transfer process.
Afrihost, Axxess, xneelo and ZA Domains use OpenSRS
I suspect that there may be an issue with Axxess's transfer /order process

Rudebaker

I am not at all impressed with Axxess. Their service and attitude are shocking, and having to wait days for a reply to a ticket is unacceptable.
I'm in the process of transferring all my clients away from them to Elite Host, which offers excellent and professional service.