Status
Not open for further replies.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Assuming not DSTV Now compatible?
Root it.
Amend the build.prop file to have the model and manufacturer aligned to a certified box, essentially spoofing another make of Android device (e.g. Samsung Tablet)
Unroot.
Factory reset it.
Profit.

Note that this not work for every device. I have not had success with this method where the SOC is a Rockchip variant. It seems to mostly work with AMLogic SOCs.

Last edited:

ZAGadgetReviews

Root it.
Amend the build.prop file to have the model and manufacturer aligned to a certified box, essentially spoofing another make of Android device (e.g. Samsung Tablet)
Unroot.
Factory reset it.
Profit.

Note that this not work for every device. I have not had success with this method where the SOC is a Rockchip variant. It seems to mostly work with AMLogic SOCs.

I have been struggling with the root. I have noticed that certain devices have issues when rooting. For example, I tried to root an Alfawise A95X box. Got Recovery installed but due to hardware differences to the one people had overseas, recovery did not have access to the internal storage. It was then stuck on a reboot into recovery and once I got it out, could not get it to boot again (boot loop). Tried around 4-8 different firmware to reflash and nothing worked.

I have seen the way to make it certified but that is a lot of work and might only work short term mainly as DSTV can potentially keep adding new checks that you might have to keep updating. Nothing wrong with your approach though. Might be easier get a certified device that works out the box and hopefully keeps working. Mainly when a cheap box is $20-$30(1gb ram version) and a potentially certified box is $40(2gb ram version).

Gwheeler

Until I can test them, I cannot confirm. The only way to verify that they are certified is by checking the play store as below:

1) Open the play store.
2) Open the side left menu.
3) Select "Settings".

At the bottom, it will show the Device Certification. I am not sure under what circumstances it shows Certified or Uncertified. I have two mobile phones and one shows certified (Elephone U Pro) and one that is Uncertified (Oukitel Mix 2).

Every TV box has to tested and that means I need to get my hands on one. The ones I believe to work and be official certified is the three at the bottom of my previous reply.

If anybody does have any of those 3 devices and can verify it is certified and also test DSTV Now, that would be really awesome. Seem the demand for DSTV Now on a Android TV box.

I have tested the W95 as somebody did contact me advising that there are for sale on gumtree and states that DSTV now works. I tested it for half a day to get the older apk to work and could not get root access to do the required updated and remove the unwanted root files.

Thanks GearBestZA

Any news if anyone has one of these 3 boxes? and if any of them work with DSTV now?
Thanks

ZAGadgetReviews

Thanks GearBestZA

Any news if anyone has one of these 3 boxes? and if any of them work with DSTV now?
Thanks

The Xiaomi Mi Box does support it but I do not know anybody who had one to test. The Mi Box is an official Android TV Certified box so it has to work on it. (https://www.android.com/tv/).

The Mecool is running an unofficial version so will rather test it first. Doubt it will work brand new out the box. Some small modification as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.