Uncapped ADSL offerings: pricing comparison

heynnow

erm...no restrictions...
thats misleading. shaping restricts the usage.

Kuga

Expert Member
Hows is "SAOL Fixed IP 384 Kbps --15GB monthly cap R347 (R499 all-in-one)" considered uncapped when it has a 15GB cap?

Kaufies

Expert Member
Axxess 384 still looks the best if you have a 4mb line. I'd like to see the new guys challenge that market

Origin248

While I don't want to sound like someone who just keeps on complaining - but I really want mbb to write something about the quality of services from these ISP's.

I mean, I've been using Screamer for over a month and I'm really disappointed with the quality of service - I get about 10 hours of internet downtime a week. It's one thing to have unstable speed but another thing not to get internet all together for hours.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
As far as i understand it, the saol uncapped offering has no 15 gig cap.

//edit oh i see the fixed ip option is listed. Why is the standard uncapped 384kbps package not listed?

http://www.saol.com/adsl20.php

Last edited:

Kaufies

Expert Member
As far as i understand it, the saol uncapped offering has no 15 gig cap.

Iirc, the fixed IP account is separate from the the account you're thinking of. Also, the 15 gig account is "uncapped," you just pay for every gig after the 15.

EDIT: Your edit kinda makes my post redundant:(

Kokkerot

The uncapped option from SAOL is currently the best package as far as speed goes when you have a 384kbs line. It is unshaped and stable.

This article only refers to the fixed IP offer and not to the "real" uncapped offer that SAOL has for also R499.

Johnfpro

I thought the uncapped was exactly that. Not some service with restrictions of some sort.

LabAnimal

Expert Member
The uncapped option from SAOL is currently the best package as far as speed goes when you have a 384kbs line. It is unshaped and stable.

This article only refers to the fixed IP offer and not to the "real" uncapped offer that SAOL has for also R499.

I hope you're right - but then why did RPM include it in this uncapped article? Surely then it doesn't belong there!

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Where's SAOL's simply uncapped? From their website:

About Simply Uncapped

The Simply Uncapped account is as the name suggests, this is a totally uncapped account.

What does the ADSL service consist of ?

The Simply Uncapped service consists of the following features:

* ADSL Line Rental (384k)
* Uncapped Bandwidth
* 1 Mailbox
* Works On Any Router
* Dynamic IP Address
* R5.00 per Mailbox per Month (max of 5 mailboxes)

Terms & Conditions

* This is on a month to month agreement.
* N.B If you currently have a normal telephone line (this line rental is still payable to Telkom), we will need to upgrade your line to ADSL and transfer the ADSL portion of the line to Saol.com. This transfer process takes Telkom up to 21 days. On confirmation of transfer we can activate this service immediately and have the router shipped to you no later than 48hrs. While we will endeavor to have your ADSL line transferred to Saol.com in this time frame, please note that this is reliant on Telkom's planning department. Should there be a delay or early delivery we will inform you accordingly.
* If you already have ADSL (not with Saol.com), we will migrate your ADSL line to Saol.com. This migration process takes Telkom up to 10 days. While we will endeavor to have your ADSL line transferred to Saol.com in this time frame, please note that this is reliant on Telkom's planning department. Should there be a delay or early delivery we will inform you accordingly.
* If you already have ADSL with Saol.com, we can activate this service immediately.
* This account can ONLY be used from the ADSL line that is registered with Saol.com
* N.B This is NOT available on a 512k, 1024k up to 4096k service.
* N.B If you require your account to be downgraded at anytime, a R200 downgrade fee will be applicable.

No 15Gb monthly cap. No fixed IP.

Jan99

I have to agree with Kaufies, I have had the Axxess 384kbps (4mb after hours), and this has been awesome. I would love to see if Afrihost or WebAfrica can do something similar....

superskully

Expert Member
Cybersmart has unofficial uncapped 384k at R512 incl. line rental.
Has anybody ever used this.
I am planning to install ADSL at the end of the month.
My choice is between Cybersmart and SAOL.

ShdwFlash

While I don't want to sound like someone who just keeps on complaining - but I really want mbb to write something about the quality of services from these ISP's.

I mean, I've been using Screamer for over a month and I'm really disappointed with the quality of service - I get about 10 hours of internet downtime a week. It's one thing to have unstable speed but another thing not to get internet all together for hours.

+1

We should have a quality comparison too - and not just a basic one - an extensive one at that. What use is cheaper broadband if you can't use it properly?

Mcwidowmaker

Missed the openweb 256 business hours, uncapped after hours. With no rolling cap, its not bad value at R1299. :D

Ou grote

Honorary Master
And don't forget that the "affordable ones" are not ADSL, and should be in the same class as DIAL UP.

So the cheapest uncapped ADSL is in fact R2499 per month.

ben dover

I have the screamer 384 uncapped and you are assigned a private IP of 10.x.x.x.
It's a fail, and browsing is as slow as ever, P2P almost non-existent...

Really not worth it....

zolly

Expert Member
What the deal with the SAOL account? It seems the writer made a major boo boo referencing information from another part of the site.

Mcwidowmaker

For R35/m screamer offers a static public ip, which ain't bad. Can't comment on the p2p though.