Unifi Security Controller gateway

under_sky

Expert Member
Sorry for this might have been answered once before in the past but i have not been able to find anything on the web regarding this.

I have a Ubiquiti network set up and the USG(Unfi Security gateway) has this feature that will constantly check your ping with a echo server ping.ubnt.com problem being this is on the east coast US which gives a reading of 186msec the whole time i have tried to chat to UBNT about this if there is one for South Africa but nothing seems to work. When i change the value to 8.8.8.8 the measuring tool seems to stall and goes orange. Am i maybe misunderstanding this feature and using the incorrect IP. Could someone please maybe give me the IP of a local Echo Server that i could use to test my ping.

Would be greatly appreciated.

under_sky

Expert Member
8.8.8.8 accepts ICMP echo requests so it should work.
Tried that and got nothing out of it. Will give it another go now and see maybe i must give it some time to think. Takes like 4 minutes to restart which is crazy

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'll take a look later. I don't think it's icmp traffic.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Sorry for this might have been answered once before in the past but i have not been able to find anything on the web regarding this.

I have a Ubiquiti network set up and the USG(Unfi Security gateway) has this feature that will constantly check your ping with a echo server ping.ubnt.com problem being this is on the east coast US which gives a reading of 186msec the whole time i have tried to chat to UBNT about this if there is one for South Africa but nothing seems to work. When i change the value to 8.8.8.8 the measuring tool seems to stall and goes orange. Am i maybe misunderstanding this feature and using the incorrect IP. Could someone please maybe give me the IP of a local Echo Server that i could use to test my ping.

Would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, who is your service provider?
Or should I ask in which city are you?

Last edited:

gfmalan

Expert Member
The answer to your problem is to make use of a speedtest server, and not any host on the internet that replies to a ping.

Google’s DNS server doesn’t support speed tests...

Maybe use Cybersmart’s speedtest server “speedtest.cybersmart.co.za”

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I checked, it is ICMP traffic
08:51:35.535621 IP xxx.xxx.134.21 > server-13-32-143-41.lhr4.r.cloudfront.net: ICMP echo request, id 2698, seq 0, length 64
08:51:35.700567 IP server-13-32-143-41.lhr4.r.cloudfront.net > xxx.xxx.134.21: ICMP echo reply, id 2698, seq 0, length 64
08:51:36.537053 IP xxx.xxx.134.21 > server-13-32-143-41.lhr4.r.cloudfront.net: ICMP echo request, id 2698, seq 1, length 64
08:51:36.701950 IP server-13-32-143-41.lhr4.r.cloudfront.net > xxx.xxx.134.21: ICMP echo reply, id 2698, seq 1, length 64

Have tried changing mine to see what happens

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It still seems to ping ping.ubnt.com but it disregards the results. Have opened a support ticket with Ubnt.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Tried that and got nothing out of it. Will give it another go now and see maybe i must give it some time to think. Takes like 4 minutes to restart which is crazy
Incidentally, it takes about 3 seconds to provision the change via the controller?

under_sky

Expert Member
Quiet often I have to restart the gateway to get the new echo testvrunnjng. I stay in kyalami Johannesburg
Metrofibre and internet from Kiklo they pretty useless but seacom gives the internet Kiklo just collects the money

gfmalan

Expert Member
Quiet often I have to restart the gateway to get the new echo testvrunnjng. I stay in kyalami Johannesburg
Metrofibre and internet from Kiklo they pretty useless but seacom gives the internet Kiklo just collects the money
Seacom test server in JHB is:
sl-01-jnb.za.seacomnet.com

under_sky

Expert Member
Seacom test server in JHB is:
sl-01-jnb.za.seacomnet.com
You are a legend thanks for that, please could you let me know how you were able to get this as even the UBNT support were not able to help me, except set up a echo server yourself.

under_sky

Expert Member
I rebooted my USG after provisioning as advised by unifi support

Set to www.google.co.za

Now showing 1ms in the latency graph
Many thanks everyone for the help.

Noted that the google one also works, annoys me that when i dealt with the ubnt support staff they couldn't give me that answer