upgrade suggestions

technojunky

My wife's cellphone phone contract is due for upgrade - currently on a Vodacom top up 150 with no data. Data top ups are killing her, company policy doesnt allow for cellphones to use the WIFI so need something with a solid data plan.

Any suggestions for whats a good deal currently, preferably with a new handset? Wouldn't mind porting if needed.

Speedster

Executive Member
My wife's cellphone phone contract is due for upgrade - currently on a Vodacom top up 150 with no data. Data top ups are killing her, company policy doesnt allow for cellphones to use the WIFI so need something with a solid data plan.

Any suggestions for whats a good deal currently, preferably with a new handset? Wouldn't mind porting if needed.
Port to Telkom freeme. 1GB with P Smart is R169, or P10 lite is R199.

This includes unlimited Telkom calls, free WhatsApp, 10GB on Telkom Wi-Fi and stacks of sms.

Edit: Depending on your budget, this could be a really good deal too

R249.00PM X 24
Huawei P20 LITE on FREEME 1GB
Free 10GB data PM x 6
Free 100 FreeMe All-Net Minutes x 24-months
1GB Data PM x 24
Free Telkom-to-Telkom calls

Last edited:

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
My wife's cellphone phone contract is due for upgrade -
Wouldn't mind porting if needed.
Check that upgrade date is not month 22. Networks love to try and get you to upgrade 2 months early to try lock you into another 24 months + the 2 months left.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Also consider buying the device outright. You can often get good sim only deals, month to month "contracts" or even go the Axxess/Afrihost route.

Brawler

Executive Member
Check that upgrade date is not month 22. Networks love to try and get you to upgrade 2 months early to try lock you into another 24 months + the 2 months left.
In my experience with MTN this is not the case. Closed at least 2 contracts which had multiple early upgrades and ended the contract 24 months after the latest upgrade.