US Election 2020

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
These are the inherit problems with the lock downs, vastly increase chances of infecting all your essential service workers through the transportation system. Or do a shorter lock down where transportation system is non existent. This is the balancing act i was talking about.
It's much easier to protect the essential service workers if the vast majority of other people aren't also around. Like on NZ's buses - only boarding through rear door, no one sitting in front 2 rows, no cash accepted, etc. And if those workers aren't able to get to work, you're exacerbating the problems immediately, making it much more difficult to get a handle on it.

Obviously I agree with you that it's a balancing act.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. These okes have to play the "what do I do to minimize casualties long term" game as well as the "do I inflict the peak pain sooner or later" game.

For society I don't see a clear win scenario. Only how severe the loss will be. Tough times.

And then you have Trump playing the "How can I make this about me and who cares about the plebs" game. What a chop.
100%, things need to be evaluated daily, there is no correct answer to this problem and each country requires a different solution.

It's much easier to protect the essential service workers if the vast majority of other people aren't also around. Like on NZ's buses - only boarding through rear door, no one sitting in front 2 rows, no cash accepted, etc. And if those workers aren't able to get to work, you're exacerbating the problems immediately, making it much more difficult to get a handle on it.

Obviously I agree with you that it's a balancing act.
Cool then we are in agreement because balancing act is what ive been arguing the entire time.

Yes dont get me wrong its a balancing act, which is the way i see the Trump admin wants to go forward with it. You cant just shut a whole country down for months and expect that's the best response to the situation either.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
The Senate on Wednesday approved a historic, $2 trillion stimulus package to provide a jolt to an economy reeling from the coronavirus pandemic, capping days of intense negotiations that produced one of the most expensive and far-reaching measures Congress has ever considered.

In a remarkable sign of overwhelming bipartisan support for the legislation, the vote was unanimous at 96-0.

cerebus

Honorary Master
United States

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

13000 new cases since yesterday. At this rate the US will overtake China within a few days

konfab

Honorary Master

lumeer

Expert Member
In February, when America had just fifteen recorded cases of coronavirus infection, Trump said that they had it under control and that their number of cases would soon be down to zero.

Less than a month later, they've got almost seventy thousand cases, with a thousand deaths, but Trump says that the country will be able to return to normal by 12 April.

rietrot

Honorary Master
In February, when America had just fifteen recorded cases of coronavirus infection, Trump said that they had it under control and that their number of cases would soon be down to zero.

Less than a month later, they've got almost seventy thousand cases, with a thousand deaths, but Trump says that the country will be able to return to normal by 12 April.
Do you want him to say the world is going to end and this is the apocalypse?

rietrot

Honorary Master
He is clearly incompetent and doesn't grasp the seriousness of the situation; completely out of his depth.
They are doing great in terms of screening. Better than most European countries were people are starting to protest against the lockdowns that isn't working.

lumeer

Expert Member
They are doing great in terms of screening. Better than most European countries were people are starting to protest against the lockdowns that isn't working.
They're not doing great. With infection numbers growing exponentially and a mean time of fifteen days before death in those who die from the disease, the worst is yet to come.

rietrot

Honorary Master
They're not doing great. With infection numbers growing exponentially and a mean time of fifteen days before death in those who die from the disease, the worst is yet to come.
Well I bet you would be happy if they just didn't test as excessively and only tested people who are on the verge of dying like some countries. That will keep the number of infected down