• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

US politics general thread

greg0205

Honorary Master
Is it you who "never said" that English was your first language?

Right then:

"From the standpoint of" has the same meaning as "from the point of view of".

Water has a point of view?
Don't forget that Hurricanes like Katrina and Andrew and Sandy and Harvey were all wet in terms of Coca-Cola. And Pepsi. And Iced Tea. And puppies. And kittens...

rietrot

Executive Member
Is it you who "never said" that English was your first language?

Right then:

"From the standpoint of" has the same meaning as "from the point of view of".

Water has a point of view?
O, so he used the wrong word and that triggers your inner grammar nazi. Who cares? I'm sure you'll get over it.
You guys are just trying to distract people from all the winning in the news article I posted earlier.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
You must have ignored the word "order". It was not left open to interpretation, it was a direct order to release un-redacted from the only authority that may do so. You don't "propose" shyte, you obey. In the military you can be court-martialled for ignoring a direct order from a higher authority. They're free to bitch and moan all they want about how this is "abuse of power" or how this "compromises intelligence", they are not free to disobey, end of story.
Nobody is disobeying anything Kim Jong Un, they are doing what Trump asked whilst merely making suggestions, Trump can then choose if he wants to listen to those suggestions. Making suggestions is not court martial material unless you think North Korea is best Korea.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You must have ignored the word "order". It was not left open to interpretation, it was a direct order to release un-redacted from the only authority that may do so. You don't "propose" shyte, you obey. In the military you can be court-martialled for ignoring a direct order from a higher authority. They're free to bitch and moan all they want about how this is "abuse of power" or how this "compromises intelligence", they are not free to disobey, end of story.
Oooh somebody is turned ON

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Oh now i see how NBFTW has his views on this proposition from the FBI. He didnt actually read the Bloomberg article first, he read the Zerohedge one that twisted things and told him to feel outraged. Lemmings will never learn with that propaganda source.

rietrot

Executive Member
Nobody is disobeying anything Kim Jong Un, they are doing what Trump asked whilst merely making suggestions, Trump can then choose if he wants to listen to those suggestions. Making suggestions is not court martial material unless you think North Korea is best Korea.
Not yet. But watch this blow up in their face, if they try and redact to true agenda behind the witch-hunt.

greg0205

Honorary Master
*Cough, cough, bullsh!t, cough*

When service members shouldn’t follow orders

What the Law of Military Obedience Can (and Can’t) Do–What Happens if a President’s Orders are Unlawful?

Emjay

Expert Member
Aren't you the guy who pretended that you're not actually on the right? lol.

It's like this article was written for you.

The party that elevated clueless buffoons like Donald "climate change is a chinese hoax" Trump (who also doesn't understand trade agreements, tariffs, NATO, the EU, healthcare, etc. etc.), Jim "this snowball I'm holding disproves climate change" Inhofe, Roy "sharia law has taken over the US" Moore, Joe Arpaio, Louie Gohmert, Ben "they built pyramids to store grain" Carson, Todd "legitimate rape" Akin, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Rick "Juarez is the most dangerous city in America" Perry, etc., etc. don't really get to complain about intellectual capabilities.
You are obfuscating the issue at hand, and using ad hominem arguments. What does Trump or climate change have anything to do with this at all? There is verifiable proof of Trump's divisiveness, his lack of policy understanding, and that climate change is a thing. And believing a man is entitled to the right to a fair trial puts me on the right? I am not a guy either.

Kavanaugh should be impeached for lying to the Senate. However, the Democrats have turned this issue into a political circus and at the actual expense of the "victim". Senator Feinstein's strategy on this was despicable, but you chose to ignore that fact and instead say: "Oh, but Trump!!!$#one!". Here we have a she said, he said situation. There is no way to take this matter forward legally in any way. There is zero to investigate either. Making accusations does not make a man guilty. There is absolutely no way to prove either case.

She did. :)

The medicare-for-all proposal saves them $2t over the same period as their current spending.
And, where does the other USD38 Trillion come from?

Randhir

Honorary Master
Oh now i see how NBFTW has his views on this proposition from the FBI. He didnt actually read the Bloomberg article first, he read the Zerohedge one that twisted things and told him to feel outraged. Lemmings will never learn with that propaganda source.
So... The usual?

cerebus

Honorary Master
And, where does the other USD38 Trillion come from?
I don't think you understand the basic argument here - and neither does Jake Tapper.

The Koch Brothers-funded study found that there would be an increase in Federal expenditure of $32 trillion to fund Medicare for all over 10 years. That seems fairly accurate. Either you would need to increase taxes, or cut somewhere else, to get that money into the Federal budget.

However, as a result of introducing Medicare for all, according to the same study TOTAL PUBLIC healthcare spending in the US including Federal + private would actually go down by $2 trillion over the same period. So even if you couldn't find any other way than raising taxes to pay for it, the public would save in the long run on their medical costs vs the increase in taxes. That's how single payer healthcare works in the rest of the developed world. And at the same time, uninsurance would be eliminated, and the hugely distorted pricing models of healthcare and insurance providers would disappear.

There are other progressive proposals that would add the other $8 trillion, again over 10 years. These include free college tuition, paid family leave, and Social Security expansion. Again, if you want to get into a detailed analysis of 'how do we pay for it' issues, that's fair enough but the counterargument I made above is that nobody asked how Trump intended to pay for the corporatist tax cut they introduced, that was projected to add $2 trillion to the deficit. And that is based on nothing more substantive than debunked trickle-down economics theories. If you're going to be fair towards Ocasio-Cortez, you need to ask the same questions of Conservatives.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Lemmings will ignore ZH just because it disagrees with their brainwashing ...

I read both articles fyi and never once pretended not to be reading ZH regularly, it's a damn sight better than CNN on any given day. You can try and spin it, unsuccessfully, as much as you want, the fact remains they were specifically told un-redacted, there is no room for interpretation, there is no point in proposing anything else.

Unless of course the FBI is just that retarded that they cannot understand a simple instruction.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Lemmings will ignore ZH just because it disagrees with their brainwashing ...

I read both articles fyi and never once pretended not to be reading ZH regularly, it's a damn sight better than CNN on any given day. You can try and spin it, unsuccessfully, as much as you want, the fact remains they were specifically told un-redacted, there is no room for interpretation, there is no point in proposing anything else.

Unless of course the FBI is just that retarded that they cannot understand a simple instruction.
Thanks for your opinions Kim.