goocreations

I've bought a Kingwin USB 3.0 hard drive docking station from the US. Whenever I touch the USB port, it shocks. From the feeling, I guess it's between 9V-12V. Since it's a US model, the power plug doesn't have an earth leakage, and I therefore suspect it might have something to do with that.

I'm not really concerned with electrocuting myself, since the station is in a wooden shelf. However, will this damage my PC in any way if I plug it in?

pgs

USA has 110v input and SA 220v ..........did you check the input voltage on the label or specs?

Yotch

Expert Member
Does it have a separate power pack? Maybe you could try a different unit. If you run a finger along the metal enclosure of a 3.5" external hard drive you can usually feel a slight prickle when the unit is running but it shouldn't be very noticeable. I think that most two pin switching supplies do this.

sajunky

Honorary Master
+1 to Yotch. Try to reverse AC plug and see if shocking is less intrusive. AC power supply has safety capacitors to prevent developing static electricity, some give to much leakage. Not much danger if shocking is moderate. It can be fixed with changing to earthing plug and special circuit, but I can't advice remotely (safety matter).