goocreations

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
156
I've bought a Kingwin USB 3.0 hard drive docking station from the US. Whenever I touch the USB port, it shocks. From the feeling, I guess it's between 9V-12V. Since it's a US model, the power plug doesn't have an earth leakage, and I therefore suspect it might have something to do with that.

I'm not really concerned with electrocuting myself, since the station is in a wooden shelf. However, will this damage my PC in any way if I plug it in?
 

pgs

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
646
USA has 110v input and SA 220v ..........did you check the input voltage on the label or specs?
 

Yotch

Expert Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
3,198
Does it have a separate power pack? Maybe you could try a different unit. If you run a finger along the metal enclosure of a 3.5" external hard drive you can usually feel a slight prickle when the unit is running but it shouldn't be very noticeable. I think that most two pin switching supplies do this.
 

sajunky

Honorary Master
Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
13,124
+1 to Yotch. Try to reverse AC plug and see if shocking is less intrusive. AC power supply has safety capacitors to prevent developing static electricity, some give to much leakage. Not much danger if shocking is moderate. It can be fixed with changing to earthing plug and special circuit, but I can't advice remotely (safety matter).
 
Top