Users Divided Over Efficiency of iPhone OS 2.1

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
From : http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Users_Divided_Over_Efficiency_of_iPhone_OS_21_24338.html

When Steve Jobs announced the iPhone 2.1 firmware update that was released on Friday, he said that the main problem addressed by the update is the high incidence of dropped calls the iPhone faced, as well as the poor 3G signal quality. With the update now released, user reaction is mixed, as we will show.

The iPhone 3G in its initial form, while endowed with an impressive array of features was also laden with bugs such as the aforementioned dropped calls and signal issues in 3G, as well as a low battery life and a security oversight that made it trivial for someone to circumvent the iPhone’s password. An update, version 2.0.2, was released last month to fix some of these issues, but users reported no improvement for the most part.

The second time around, the update seems to have gotten mixed results: Users in the Apple iPhone support forums are divided into two categories. The first is made up of users for which the patch indeed worked. For them, the 2.1 update comes with better synch time, longer battery life, and first of all – improved 3G reception. "I have better signal in my home than usual [and] I have had no failed calls so far. Great update,” says user tsmithband.

Others though report no change or even yet worsening of call-drop rates. One user even reported: “In Ireland and since 2.1 applied yesterday, I have become a member of the call dropping population. I can barely get a connection success on call setup without multiple tries and the calls keep dropping. Had no problem before update so I am really regretting applying this update”.

While only a partial success, the 2.1 update is still better than 2.0.2. Apple still have work ahead of them to figure out why the fix failed for some users. Maybe they’ll get it right the next time around, after all the third time’s a charm.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I forgot to add, I'll just quickly write a mail Eric Blair at efluxmedia telling him that he should lay off the insults else he'll get bwana on his case.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
N82 all the way yes :) You can't go wrong with a N-series. The only phones that comes close are real phones like SE, HTC and some Samsungs/LGs.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I forgot to add, I'll just quickly write a mail Eric Blair at efluxmedia telling him that he should lay off the insults else he'll get bwana on his case.
I confine my activities to this forum. ;)

d0b33

Honorary Master
No problems here... I do a clean restore not just firmware update, fixes problems I had with iTunes 8 loving the new firmware including the new genius feature.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
No problems here... I do a clean restore not just firmware update, fixes problems I had with iTunes 8 loving the new firmware including the new genius feature.

That is great - and with the still-not-improved-enough 3G performance your music listening will not be interrupted by those pesky phone calls :rolleyes:

d0b33

Honorary Master
That is great - and with the still-not-improved-enough 3G performance your music listening will not be interrupted by those pesky phone calls :rolleyes:

Sure... I believe you have thoroughly tested the iPhone to form that opinion?

Last edited:

Keeper

Honorary Master
roux, you must be the funniest guy on MyBB with your "never say die" attitude.

+5 points

Tel us whats wrong with stuff we actually own, instead of something that 90% of us will never get to have anyway.

"whats wrong with the world" with your main man Roux.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Pardon me if this post is not very Rouxenator like but I have been pulled into a dark alley by the big guy with the kneecap chrusher and I know what is good for me so I'll have to listen to him.

Thanks for those you responded kindly on my posts (I know most of them were tongue in the cheek) and elso those that responded less kindly but added to a lively and valid discussion.

The two lessons learned here is that
1) You need not have something to have a view on it or to report about what you find out about it. Sure you can get your facts wrong but others will point this out to you.
2) There is no point in keeping up your views and statements about something and trying to convience those that have it that it might not be the best thing since sliced bread. People make choices and then back it up by putting money in that direction. One (or me) would be a fool to try and convince them they made a choice that could have been made better.

Now with all that has been said I think people know pretty well how I feel (not that it really matters) but the kneecap chrusher operators have had enough of it so if you will kindly excuse me, I will make myself scarce around any topic relating to this iTopic.

Have fun iFans,
Rouxenator :)

Keeper

Honorary Master
I will make myself scarce around any topic relating to this iTopic.

Have fun iFans,
Rouxenator :)

noooooooooooooooo!:(

c'mon man, just when i was about to hop onto the wagon with you, you flip the thing over doing 3 cartwheels and crash into the nokia building!

c'mon, keep it up - put some pressure on the guys trying to sell us overpriced stuff - I see a TV program coming soon!!

d0b33

Honorary Master

c'mon man, just when i was about to hop onto the wagon with you, you flip the thing over doing 3 cartwheels and crash into the nokia building!

c'mon, keep it up - put some pressure on the guys trying to sell us overpriced stuff - I see a TV program coming soon!!

We're not selling anything, he's the one starting these topics not knowing what he's talking about. And if someone who has knowledge on the subject offers advice he's quick to refer to them as "fanboys" since they don't share his view.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord

LOL :p Thanks for the support, I must admit I did enjoy it while it lasted. Crashing into the Nokia building - now that is respect Rock'n'Roll style :cool:

Thing is - there are a few people here that has invested a small fortune, and devoted a lot of time and effort, into iSomethings and they do not like it when folks (or trolls as I have been labled) go round and continually spread iBlasphemy. These iPeople know iModerators and, and, and....... let's just say I know what is good for me and listening to them would be it in this case.

I'll still write about other things from time to time but right now I'm gonna have to apply some iBrakes if you know what iMsaying.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I own Apple products yes, but I also build my own systems(quad core with nvidia graphics for now) and run all three OS's(Linux, OSX and Windows) so I'm not an Apple ifanboy as such but I buy their products because some are actually(you may find this hard to believe) worth it!

OSX and Linux have been the most satisfying OSs for me compared to windows. So to make things clear... owning Apple products does not mean you are clueless FFS.