VDSL Upgrade

DanyaalShah

Hello guys

I've had VDSL for a while now. I'm on a 20mb line and I was considering upgrading to a 40mb (no fibre in my area unfortunately so this is the best option)
Can you guys check my stats and tell me if it would be good enough to handle a 40mb and what speeds would I likely be getting?
Any help would be appreciated folks! Thanks.

Screenshot (21).png

cavedog

Honorary Master
I am a bit of a noob when it comes to all this. I have internet through Telkom so will I also get an upgrade?

I believe that Mybroadband did write an article about it. Openserve confirms free upgrades I think is the article name.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I borrowed a router from a friend and I'm really not sure how to interpret these... is 20mb the best I'm going to get?

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 14.32.58.png

Totempole

Expert Member
I borrowed a router from a friend and I'm really not sure how to interpret these... is 20mb the best I'm going to get?

View attachment 1019274
My best guess would be that you're running in Fast Path mode instead of Interleaved. Slightly lower upload and download speeds, but significantly better latency.

If I'm reading your stats correctly It looks like you should easily be able to get 40Mb VDSL.

I can't figure out why there's more than one figure for each stat though (D1; D2; U1 U2; U3 etc).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My best guess would be that you're running in Fast Path mode instead of Interleaved. Slightly lower upload and download speeds, but significantly better latency.

If I'm reading your stats correctly It looks like you should easily be able to get 40Mb VDSL.

I can't figure out why there's more than one figure for each stat though (D1; D2; U1 U2; U3 etc).
Thanks - appreciate the assessment. I'm really unfamiliar with this hardware :eek:

Totempole

Expert Member
Thank you wonderful people for all the help! I’ll just wait for the free upgrade. Saved me some coin haha
Hoping for a free upgrade myself. But my line is linked to a Telkom voice service and has been migrated to Afrihost. So not sure what this will mean for me.

MavChat

Expert Member
Hoping for a free upgrade myself. But my line is linked to a Telkom voice service and has been migrated to Afrihost. So not sure what this will mean for me.
Depending on your service, your sync speed may increase but if they manage the data package to the speed your data package is on there will be no improvement, if not you will get the increased speed.

Totempole

Expert Member
Depending on your service, your sync speed may increase but if they manage the data package to the speed your data package is on there will be no improvement, if not you will get the increased speed.
I have a separate data package with Vox and another small ISP, so they're not rate limited.

But at this point, no sign of price drops for standard DSL services through Telkom and ISPs.

Only PureDSL bundled services seem to be on the cards for a price reduction at this point.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have a separate data package with Vox and another small ISP, so they're not rate limited.

But at this point, no sign of price drops for standard DSL services through Telkom and ISPs.

Only PureDSL bundled services seem to be on the cards for a price reduction at this point.

Openserve is also changing Copper connect speeds and pricing. The Copper Connect lines will be upgraded also but obviously it will depend on the ISPs if they will drop pricing.

MavChat

Expert Member
Openserve is also changing Copper connect speeds and pricing. The Copper Connect lines will be upgraded also but obviously it will depend on the ISPs if they will drop pricing.
Or upgrading to the new speeds

Totempole

Expert Member
It basically depends on who is actually in control of increasing the speeds.

If it's up to the ISPs, and you don't have a bundled data package with them, I'm sure they'll be far less inclined to upgrade the client.

If the upgrade will be a blanket upgrade (exchange permitting) performed by Openserve themselves, then we may be in luck.