VDSL Upgrade

Stiffmeister

I was at a client of mine yesterday evening. He has a line and data package with Telkom. No speed upgrade at that point for him.
Ah. I guess they'll just upgrade from March 1st as they've said. Would've been nice if their service was good like Afrihost haha.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hello guys

I've had VDSL for a while now. I'm on a 20mb line and I was considering upgrading to a 40mb (no fibre in my area unfortunately so this is the best option)
Can you guys check my stats and tell me if it would be good enough to handle a 40mb and what speeds would I likely be getting?
Any help would be appreciated folks! Thanks.

View attachment 1018668
Your SNR is really interesting for VDSL, at 19/21dB attenuation I would have pegged you as max ~25Mbps, but your SNR is really good so they've probably added a repeater/signal strengthener somewhere in the loop, so you should easily manage 40Mbps.
I borrowed a router from a friend and I'm really not sure how to interpret these... is 20mb the best I'm going to get?

View attachment 1019274
I think it's probably different bands, VDSL includes higher bands than ADSL, that's why you can transfer more over the same line (while moving from ADSL2+ to VDSL if you can manage e.g. only 5-10Mbps has no benefit).
There's some calc usually that gives you an average, but based on your first and second band, 35-40Mbps should be attainable.

DanyaalShah

Your SNR is really interesting for VDSL, at 19/21dB attenuation I would have pegged you as max ~25Mbps, but your SNR is really good so they've probably added a repeater/signal strengthener somewhere in the loop, so you should easily manage 40Mbps.
My SNR seems to have increased 25.9 Down, 20.9 Up. Hopefully this is better for me

DanyaalShah

I called Telkom. Told them do a port reset for me.
Line started syncing at 45mbps but upload dropped to 3mbps.
Interesting enough, I'm not even getting downloads at 45mbps but rather 20mbps, even slower than what it was on my 20mb line. Local ping used to be 23ms now is 38ms.
Called them second time, guy did a port reset, no change.
Anyone have any idea what's happening?
I called again and told them to downgrade me back to 20mbps.
Screenshot (23).png
Speedtest: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11019912752.png

src926

I called Telkom. Told them do a port reset for me.
Line started syncing at 45mbps but upload dropped to 3mbps.
Interesting enough, I'm not even getting downloads at 45mbps but rather 20mbps, even slower than what it was on my 20mb line. Local ping used to be 23ms now is 38ms.
Called them second time, guy did a port reset, no change.
Anyone have any idea what's happening?
I called again and told them to downgrade me back to 20mbps.
View attachment 1029254
Speedtest: https://www.speedtest.net/result/11019912752.png
Not sure if it still works like this but they might need to upgrade your account to match your new line speed. No use having a 40Mb line but the account is limited to 20Mb.

DanyaalShah

Not sure if it still works like this but they might need to upgrade your account to match your new line speed. No use having a 40Mb line but the account is limited to 20Mb.
I thought this was the issue but I have a capped data account from another ISP. I tried that account and still the same issue. Not sure what else to do besides downgrade now

MavChat

Expert Member
I thought this was the issue but I have a capped data account from another ISP. I tried that account and still the same issue. Not sure what else to do besides downgrade now
Who manages your line?

MavChat

Expert Member
Telkom - have a DSL package with them. Of course, their technical support team only knows how to do port resets and tell you to connect via ethernet and do Speedtests till thy kingdom come.
Tell them to turn on self install and then after two minutes turn it off again then recreate the ports.

Reactions: Yuu

DanyaalShah

Tell them to turn on self install and then after two minutes turn it off again then recreate the ports.
Yeah so the two consultants I spoke to had no idea what to do and proceeded to just do port resets.
I called the sales department and a person there told me that on their side I still appear to have a DSL Unlimited 20Mb package and my TIN shows I have a 20Mb line and I need to pay in order to get the 40Mb speeds on my line even though I explained that my line is syncing at 45Mb??? Afaik, these upgrades were free and those on 20MB would be upgraded to 40Mb whilst paying the price of the 20Mb package but as usual, they have no idea what’s happening. I can’t even downgrade to the 20Mb because each time I call, they say I’m on 20. Games are so unplayable because the ping spikes, websites stop loading, I don't even get full download speeds... I've no idea what to do now because they won't help

MavChat

Expert Member
Yeah so the two consultants I spoke to had no idea what to do and proceeded to just do port resets.
I called the sales department and a person there told me that on their side I still appear to have a DSL Unlimited 20Mb package and my TIN shows I have a 20Mb line and I need to pay in order to get the 40Mb speeds on my line even though I explained that my line is syncing at 45Mb??? Afaik, these upgrades were free and those on 20MB would be upgraded to 40Mb whilst paying the price of the 20Mb package but as usual, they have no idea what’s happening. I can’t even downgrade to the 20Mb because each time I call, they say I’m on 20. Games are so unplayable because the ping spikes, websites stop loading, I don't even get full download speeds... I've no idea what to do now because they won't help
Simple, your line is syncing to the new speed, but if you want to get those speeds, they want you to pay for the 40mbps data package.

DanyaalShah

Simple, your line is syncing to the new speed, but if you want to get those speeds, they want you to pay for the 40mbps data package.
Okay I didn't know it was working like this because I was under the impression that all the changes were inclusive. But how do you explain why I'm not getting the full download speed on a capped data account from another ISP?

MavChat

Expert Member
Okay I didn't know it was working like this because I was under the impression that all the changes were inclusive. But how do you explain why I'm not getting the full download speed on a capped data account from another ISP?
Because capped accounts are not limited to speed. Whether you are on a 2mbps line or a 40mbps or 10mbps line the data will run at the fulll capability of your line.

On uncapped packages your ISP limits you to the speed of the package you are paying for. Also, if you are on a 20mbps line and your data package is 40mbps, you will then be limited to your line speed.

Edit: missed the not getting speeds part haha

Send me your number via DM and I will check the line.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
What speed do you get with a capped account?

DanyaalShah

Because capped accounts are not limited to speed. Whether you are on a 2mbps line or a 40mbps or 10mbps line the data will run at the fulll capability of your line.

On uncapped packages your ISP limits you to the speed of the package you are paying for. Also, if you are on a 20mbps line and your data package is 40mbps, you will then be limited to your line speed.

Edit: missed the not getting speeds part haha

Send me your number via DM and I will check the line.
Will send it through now :( Thank you!

wingnut771

Honorary Master
20Mbps still. That's what I wasn't understanding. And not even the full 20, sometimes like 15-16.
Sounds like congestion to me, especially when you say you get ping spikes in game. Try again around 1am to see how it is when the exchange is quiet.