view emails on 2 computers thru a network

darrenb

I have outlook on both computers (XP and Win 7) and would like to view e-mails on both computers. All e-mails currently are on the XP computer, so whatever e-mails are on one computer they must be on the other. And if you send and receive from one computer will it be able to show on the other computer. Thanks!

Conradl

Expert Member
How do you retrieve your email, POP or IMAP? To make sent item appear you need to forward the mail to a sent items folder hosted on the mail server....

ambo

Expert Member
You really want to investigate using IMAP. You'll need to ask the people who host your email if it is supported though.

Hectic

Executive Member
I have outlook on both computers (XP and Win 7) and would like to view e-mails on both computers. All e-mails currently are on the XP computer, so whatever e-mails are on one computer they must be on the other. And if you send and receive from one computer will it be able to show on the other computer. Thanks!
The easy way would be to setup outlook identically. You must then just set the option that a copy of the email must be left on server for say 3 days. Then both pc's will receive the mail when it check for mail.

This will not work for emails that u sent though. It will only on the pc you sent it from, unless you setup a rule or cc it to your self.

That would be the layman's way. :D

I'm sure somebody is going to tell me how stupid I am. Lol
:p

edit: Not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you want to view the mail via a network, you will need something like Teamviewer to do that, I think.

Last edited:

howardb

Expert Member
Are the two PC's on the same network?
If using Outlook or Outlook Express, would you be able to point both PC's on the network to the same PST file? That way, whichever PC downloads the e-mails from the server (and uploads/sends) will save the info to the same PST's?
Just a thought, but not sure if it'd work? I'm not sure if the file gets locked by Outlook when in use.

Drake2007

Expert Member
IMAP is the way to go though if this isn't supported, another solution is to set up a gmail account which grabs email from the POP3 server for you.

darrenb

Are the two PC's on the same network?
yeah they are, it's just a small home network, my parents want to view e-mail on both.

From RoMark. The easy way would be to setup outlook identically. You must then just set the option that a copy of the email must be left on server for say 3 days. Then both pc's will receive the mail when it check for mail.
I dont really want to have to download each computer. I only have like 2 gigs/pm

Is there no file/folder that all the e-mails are stored to one specific file, because where are the emails stored? Maybe i can set that folder to share on the network and then i can just open it on both computers

howardb

Expert Member
Is there no file/folder that all the e-mails are stored to one specific file, because where are the emails stored? Maybe i can set that folder to share on the network and then i can just open it on both computers
As per my previous post, try this:

Do a search in Explorer for *.PST (e-mails and folders) and *.PAB (personal address book) files - they are usually held in the user's folder
e.g.
C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Accounts - on Windows 7
C:\Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook - on Windows XP

Last edited:

DJNgoma

Expert Member
If the server can't support IMAP, upload the PST to GMail and use that as an IMAP account.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I second Howardb's suggestion. I have about 10 PCs on a home network, and any user can log onto any PC and get their email and docs.

For the last decade and a half I've inter alia done this - simplifed version to accomplish your goal):

1. In the user's My Documents folder, create a folder called Mail.
2. Move the PST file from the user's default Local Settings/AppData location to the Mail folder under My Documents. I rename the PST file to something more readily identifiable, like AlexMail.pst. (If you Copy, then rename the original PST file to something else, otherwise your Outlook will default to the original location and file).
3. Place the user's My Documents folder (together with all their docs and folders) on a network folder. Share that folder on the network - you can use Permissions and Security to restrict access/sharing/privileges to one or several users, each exactly tailored as you wish.
4. Point the local profile's My Documents to the network location, so that when the user clicks My Documents it opens the folder on the file server (which can be a peer on the small LAN). Do this by right-clicking My Documents folder, then Properties > Location.
5. Start Outlook. It will fail to find the default/original PST file (moved/renamed in 2 above); when prompted, repoint it to the PST file in new Mail folder created in 2 and 3 above.
6. Create identical user profiles on each PC, and make sure each user's My Documents and Outlook point to the same location/file. Configure each user's Outlook identically on each PC.
7. Voila! Any user can log on anywhere and get their docs and mail. You can't concurrently open the same PST file in two instances/PCs (it's locked, correctly), but at least the identical PST file is available to the both systems, and you can be sure it has all the emails, deletions, address book/contacts, calendar, etc, etc. The only things that don't come across with the PST file are junk mail settings, customised templates (but simply copy NormalEmail.dotm in O2007), and Rules.

This method has the added advantage that the PST file is backed up when My Documents is backed up (which I do daily for all users).

As you learn more about Permissions and Security you can add greater granularity in managing each user's access to files and folders.

----------

PS. Storing personal email in a cloud owned by the world's most voracious information-hoarder gives me the heebie-jeebies. It'll be there forever, and can/will one day be used in evidence against you.

Last edited: