Vitamin D supplement ?

dunkyd

Expert Member
Any ideas which might be best ?
Preferably a decent daily dose - 600 to 1000 IU whatever that means...
Seems different brands have different ingredients ?? Why ?
Ex Dischem if possible, Clicks if I must.
Thanks.

marco

Expert Member
Two tins of sardines a week should be good. Not tuna as it is a large fish and has an accumulation of Mg. The Nordic countries have no problem with vitamin d even though they have little sunlight because of the oily fish they eat.

Swa

Honorary Master
The local tablets are useless. If you absolutely must crush them and soak in oil but the dose is still too low.

Rather order from abroad as it's cheap and you get the 5000IU dose you really need.

mister

Executive Member
Vitamins, the biggest scam.
Vitamin D is actually a hormone and incorrectly classified as a vitamin. Furthermore, you can *only* obtain the sulfated form from the sun - you cannot pop a pill, so no... not a vitamin scam.

Swa

Honorary Master
Vitamin D is actually a hormone and incorrectly classified as a vitamin. Furthermore, you can *only* obtain the sulfated form from the sun - you cannot pop a pill, so no... not a vitamin scam.
I don't know what you mean by "sulfated". There's only really two forms of Vitamin D that matter, the synthetic D2 form sold by the pharmaceuticals and the natural D3. The natural form is derived from sunlight and cholesterol so it's actually the same.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Question: why would anyone who lives in Africa need a Vit D supplement? Standing outside is free.
You will be surprised, a very common problem.

I do regular full blood tests and need to take vitamin D in winter. My clinical dietician has worked fatty fish into my eating plan to help me as well.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
You will be surprised, a very common problem.

I do regular full blood tests and need to take vitamin D in winter. My clinical dietician has worked fatty fish into my eating plan to help me as well.
What is 'wrong' with you that you are seeing a clinical dietician if you don't mind me asking?