Vodacom hits back at IS

ernstn

Expert Member
Vodacom's implementation was actually the one factually flawed. Scary that they actually admit that it did happen in the beginning!

Something I have not seen is Vodacom explain is what the major Vodacom reasons are for doing the CA and what they would gain out of its implementation.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
All I know is... I just don't like it. :mad:

They can "fix" it and "patch it" as much as they want. I don't want it.

I like my Internet "unadapted" please....

... just saying... please don't tell me I am "factually incorrect" :(

BBSA

Honorary Master
Vodacom start to sound more and more like Robert Mugabe on this issue.

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
So Vodacom is right and everyone else is wrong. Mmm.

Bio, it's not that at all.

It's one thing to have an 'opinion' on something and to publicly state it. Absolutely no problem. That's what this forum is all about, for example.

But if you want to state something as a 'fact', it's best to rather first ask than to fire from the hip without the supporting info.

And that's what happened with both the ISOC and IS statements. They both made statements that just were not correct and, the saddest of all for me, they never actually asked Vodacom for feedback or to clarify before they made these statements in the press. Which would have been the proper protocol.

It weren't just the ones addressed in the latest press release, BTW. Some other, really silly things were stated that were patently just not true. Like Vodacom blocking Skype and throttling IP protocols.

Any person on this forum could have told them it's not true. Yet, a body, self-appointed to 'Manage the Internet' (according to their manifesto), decide Vodacom is blocking Skype? Without actually checking the facts. Or even testing it. Not good.

So, for me, this is not about if CA should have been introduced or not or if it was done badly or not. That debate is alive and well!

Rather it's about the process of establishing fact before going to press. RPM, Duncan and other responsible journos will tell you, they will always give all parties a chance to comment before publishing their articles.

Understand the impact of a large, well respected company or society publishing an opinion on the operations of another. Readers will take it seriously. And if it's factually correct, good. But respected organisations should not speculate in the press, at least without getting the facts first.

Turiko

Banned
Aha :rolleyes: I was waiting for this...

Some other, really silly things were stated that were patently just not true. Like Vodacom blocking Skype and throttling IP protocols.
These are not silly things, they are probably happening. For example, another service provider, iBurst is most defnitely throttling IP protocols and today was clear proof of it with my little experiment I did earlier. If iburst are doing it, who else is? Most everyone, including Telkom. At one stage on this very forum people complained that Telkom was shaping VoIP traffic. I wouldn't put it past them, and since Vodacom is actually for all intents and purposes made up of ex-Telkom people, it doesn't surprise me. Your company actually tried to recruit me some 10 years ago but I am glad I said no- I valued the fact that I am able to be home in the evenings and on weekends.

Understand the impact of a large, well respected company or society publishing an opinion on the operations of another. Readers will take it seriously.
Actually, IS is far more respectable than Vodacom. Why? Because at least IS don't have an unstable network and reluctance to invest in it because the damn pocket lining needs to be kept within +/-2mm of it's enormous dimensions.

I also believe that IS actually know the internet better than a company that has historically been dedicated to switching voice calls and only recently got into the internet game. Experience counts! What Vodacom did speaks volumes about the large gap between an ISP that knows what it is doing and a GSM SP that can like to think it knows best for its subscribers and wants to cry when it irks the ire of many internet users by violating internet standards and practices. Have a look at iBurst for some good examples of how violation of good internet practice has resulted in p1ssing off of subscribers.

Last edited:

vodacom3g

Vodacom Representative
These are not silly things, they are probably happening. For example, another service provider, iBurst is most defnitely throttling IP protocols and today was clear proof of it with my little experiment I did earlier. If iburst are doing it, who else is? Most everyone, including Telkom. At one stage on this very forum people complained that Telkom was shaping VoIP traffic. I wouldn't put it past them, and since Vodacom is actually for all intents and purposes made up of ex-Telkom people, it doesn't surprise me. Your company actually tried to recruit me some 10 years ago but I am glad I said no- I valued the fact that I am able to be home in the evenings and on weekends.
Thanks for proving my point of the importance of facts vs. half-arsed statements. :rolleyes:

Won't you please provide proof on Vodacom shaping protocols on the network?

Actually, IS is far more respectable than Vodacom. Why? Because at least IS don't have an unstable network and reluctance to invest in it because the damn pocket lining needs to be kept within +/-2mm of it's enormous dimensions.

I also believe that IS actually know the internet better than a company that has historically been dedicated to switching voice calls and only recently got into the internet game. Experience counts!
So everytime IS has an issue or problem with their voice services, Vodacom should publish a press statement? :rolleyes: Somehow I don't see Vodacom doing that.....

aadil-old

Banned
vodacom seems to be getting a bad rep on this. Quick get the marketing guys to a launch a snazzy campaign to blind everyone and make them love vodacom again :(

Last edited:

MrG

Executive Member
With my experience of what ive tested using MTN and Vodacom there is something very weird going on with voip on the Vodacom network. (since I started using VOIP with a data bundle. Been over a year)

I always struggle to death anywhere I am even standing in many different fixed locations all across Cape Town and Port Elizabeth, I can never get a consistent connection for VOIP. Either just breaks up very badly.. (no IP traffic.. I think it was downwards for a couple of seconds at a time ever half a minute.. very bad) or it is just very delayed.

MTN I can have a brilliant call when standing still somewhere and it works perfectly like 98% of the time while u driving somewhere. Might break up for a second or two once or twice in a 15 minute call but thats it.

Same handset, same software, different sim cards... different results. How can it be my handset. Impossible.

ndu-x

im glad vodacom is getting a bad name,those bastards are still charging us a so-called 2rand per meg,which is really 2,50per meg..look at vmobile with its 500000 customers,they charge 50cent,whilst a huge company like vodacom with more than 34million customers charge us rediculous amounts.growing up vodacom was my fav cellphone company,im 19 now and i have lost all respect for vodacom or should i say vodacons

ndu-x

i downloaded an 980kb mp3 with direct link,and 2.50 it was,sumtimes more..dont believe me go to prodigits.co.uk and take a luk at wap and mobile forum im not da only one complaining..bundles are xpensive im no rich kid ya heard bro

ndu-x

yes it is a uk site but has lots of south africans, more then 400 south africans login everyday..why u defending vodacons?

milomak

Honorary Master
what you are saying is making little sense. and why shouldn't anyone defend vodacom?

ndu-x

maybe voda shouldnt do false advertising,and whats up with dissin my english?its street english yo should recognise,ya heard?

ld13

Honorary Master
maybe voda shouldnt do false advertising,and whats up with dissin my english?its street english yo should recognise,ya heard?

What false advertising? If you feel that they are falsely advertising something, feel free to contact the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa (ASA) with the proof so that they can have a go at Vodacom. Also, if you don't mind, post the proof here as well please. Well, not here, in a new thread thank you.

I do not call what you are trying to type English by the way. No one does. It is lazy-english that.