Vodacom launches LTE in SA

T3rminator

Nice, however as always with some new tech why all the "so much space for activities" speech. Sure we can do a bunch of new cool stuff with LTE but it is not like you are going to make it insanely cheap to do so. Prices will remain high if operators have their way.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Prediction: OOB shark on LTE is gonna cause at least one person to lose their home due to the crippling debt :twisted:

latro

So they are going ahead with their 4G marketing.

Cell C, the time has come for you to nail this contradictive and arrogant network.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Mystery solved - Jannie is the Stig! :D

EDIT: Doesn't that mean he loses his job?

Bern

Expert Member
Prediction: OOB shark on LTE is gonna cause at least one person to lose their home due to the crippling debt :twisted:
Have they sorted the billing out yet or is it a free service for the foreseeable future?

cozinsky

Expert Member
Sadly you are not exaggerating. R2 a meb OOB at these insane speeds could cost you easily cost you your house. Vodacom should stop this unethical practise to exploit unsuspecting customers. This is one of the main reasons, I am hesitant to port my 4 MTN contracts to them. I love their networks and brand image but I despise their business ethics. Vodacom do you hear me?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
So they are going ahead with their 4G marketing.

Cell C, the time has come for you to nail this contradictive and arrogant network.
Smoking your socks, I see.

Where do you see ANY 4G marketing by Vodacom?

latro

Smoking your socks, I see.

Where do you see ANY 4G marketing by Vodacom?
What do you call this then? Photoshopped? Or are banners (presumably at the MyBB convention) not considered as marketing?

vodacom 4G.jpg

Last edited:

Haldex

Expert Member
The LTE version of the Galaxy S3 shows the connected signal as connected to 4G and the iPhone 5 shows connected to LTE.
It's the cell manufacturers that's calling it 4G, thus making it easy should Vodacom go to court.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
The LTE version of the Galaxy S3 shows the connected signal as connected to 4G and the iPhone 5 shows connected to LTE.
It's the cell manufacturers that's calling it 4G, thus making it easy should Vodacom go to court.
It's a crazy, mixed up situation. The vendors are using 4G and LTE interchangeably. The S3 says 4G on the back and, as you said, even the signal indicator shows 4G. The iPhone 5 shows LTE but is called 4G by most operators.

The Vodacom network is branded LTE and not 4G, but I suspect most people, including tech publications like this one and Techcentral, will just call it 4G.

I've been advocating for a while all networks should just call it 4G-LTE to minimise all the confusion.

MickeyD

RIP
What do you call this then? Photoshopped? Or are banners (presumably at the MyBB convention) not considered as marketing?
This was also explained in a previous thread. Blame MyBB for this one, not VC.

Last edited:

latro

As the old saying goes; assumption is the mother of all stuffups.

That's not from Vodacom. You'll have to ask rpm where he got that from.
Look Jannie, there's no need to be rude. I never attacked your person.

Your CEO calls it 4G. You advise it should be called 4G ''because that's what they do internationally''. This was exactly the point VC nitpicked on in court with Cell C.

But aside from the above and the banner, It seems that you're just going with LTE. Good decision. Wouldn't want to be contradicting yourself now would you?

/end