Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me, my 3g modem picks up 3g and connects to it, but I can not access any websites or even sign into msn. It says something about DNS and Keyports, when I try to sign into msn. I have notice that it seems to upload data but it doesn't want to download data. any ideas?
 
Connection to 3G service

hi y'all,

Recently I have had an issue when connecting to the Vodacom GPRS/3G service. When connecting, the connection is successful and I am assigned a IP Address, but am unable to browse the internet, download email ext. It seems that when connecting the assignment of a DNS server for my connection fails. To resolve this I just disconnect and reconnect, but this can take up to 5 attempts. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks & Keep well
 
V3G et all - any comments?

My understanding is that the GPRS / 3G network pushes through DNS configuration for the connection which sometimes is invalid (the IP Address is non responsive). Disconnecting and Reconnecting sometimes provides different DNS settings which solves the problem.

Thanks!
 
I have seen the same problem on occasion, disconnect / reconnect usually solves it.

IC - think this can get moved the the normal "things are down" thread.
 
V3G et all - any comments?

My understanding is that the GPRS / 3G network pushes through DNS configuration for the connection which sometimes is invalid (the IP Address is non responsive). Disconnecting and Reconnecting sometimes provides different DNS settings which solves the problem.

Thanks!

I don't know the reason for the error, but why not try manual DNS settings for that connection:).
 
V3G et all - any comments?

My understanding is that the GPRS / 3G network pushes through DNS configuration for the connection which sometimes is invalid (the IP Address is non responsive). Disconnecting and Reconnecting sometimes provides different DNS settings which solves the problem.

Thanks!

Can neither confirm nor deny this. :)

But will pass on. Maybe try Saul's idea. It will give a clear answer either way.
 
Can neither confirm nor deny this. :)

But will pass on. Maybe try Saul's idea. It will give a clear answer either way.

Thanks - would be nice if this is solved since it is occurring more frequently. I use my mobile phone to also pull email during the evenings, and lately this also seems to fail from time to time due to this same reason.
 
hi y'all,

Recently I have had an issue when connecting to the Vodacom GPRS/3G service. When connecting, the connection is successful and I am assigned a IP Address, but am unable to browse the internet, download email ext. It seems that when connecting the assignment of a DNS server for my connection fails. To resolve this I just disconnect and reconnect, but this can take up to 5 attempts. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks & Keep well

V3G et all - any comments?

My understanding is that the GPRS / 3G network pushes through DNS configuration for the connection which sometimes is invalid (the IP Address is non responsive). Disconnecting and Reconnecting sometimes provides different DNS settings which solves the problem.

Thanks!

[peanut gallery]
I don't think it's the DNS allocation that's at fault, I think it's the entire IP connectivity. In these situations (which I often see) you get the IP address and DNS address allocated, but regardless of whether you ping a domain name or a specific IP address it's impossible to contact anything. The received bytes counter on the card remains zero.

next time it happens, trying pinging a known good IP address. i predict you'll get nothing, meaning there is a problem other than DNS. Or just disconnect and reconnect a few times!
 
@peanut gallery:
I don't think it's the DNS allocation that's at fault, I think it's the entire IP connectivity. In these situations (which I often see) you get the IP address and DNS address allocated, but regardless of whether you ping a domain name or a specific IP address it's impossible to contact anything. The received bytes counter on the card remains zero.

next time it happens, trying pinging a known good IP address. i predict you'll get nothing, meaning there is a problem other than DNS. Or just disconnect and reconnect a few times!
My thoughts exactly.
 
I havent read through all the posts lately, so I apologize if a solutions has been posted for my prob. I have upgraded to the 3.6 trial a few days ago, but my internet is not "lekker". I get time out errors in itunes and some sites are slow as never before. Even downloads run at 60kbps, what could be the prob? I have a 4/5 bar signal strenght.

I know my problem description is not very specific, but hey I got a problem.
 
Last edited:
I havent read through all the posts lately, so I apologize if a solutions has been posted for my prob. I have upgraded to the 3.6 trial a few days ago, but my internet is not "lekker". I get time out errors in itunes and some sites are slow as never before. Even downloads run at 60kbps, what could be the prob? I have a 4/5 bar signal strenght.

I know my problem description is not very specific, but hey I got a problem.

You're not the first to mention a slowdown what appears to be on the new profile.

Which modem / firmware are you using?
 
Internetvpn Not Working In Durban..im Not Alone Too

INTERNETVPN DOESNT SEEM TO BE WORKING? MAKES A CONNECTION BUT NO DATA IS BEEN RECEIVED? BUT INTERNET APN WORKS?

SOME PEOPLE CANT EVEN USE ANYTHING VLIVE/INTERNET NOTHING


DURBAN
..........:confused:
 
Im using a usb E220. It has the latest firware and Im using VMC Lite version 3.2.1.156

And you're on XP?

As a test, please try this firmware and let me know if it made any improvements. Note this is a specific test I want you to do on XP. Do not load this if you're on Vista.

Note to other forumites reading this: Please do not install this firmware (it's an downgrade) if you don't need to. Don't try and fix something that's not broken!

http://www.omnisol.co.za/E220Update_11.110.01.03.00.zip
 
Having same problem has jannievdberg.

I have hit over 2Mbps a few nights ago, but that was short lived.

Now I'm hitting around 500Kbps - 800Kbps.

I have tryed different setups of combinations between firmware and software, but nothing changes. There isn't any funny software running in the background, system was formated only essential drivers are being used.

I was getting better speeds with my E620 (1.2Mbps - 1.4Mbps).

I'm thinking now of getting the signal booster from poynting, but i don't see it doing much for me because i already getting a signal of 4/5 and sometimes 5/5 (if i move some stuff around:D)

Thinking of getting modem/sim checked, but seeing that i live in Port Elizabeth getting any sort of decent service is going to be a nightmare.:p
 
Was having endless page reset issues last night, internet and unrestricted APN. Signal also seemed to swing from GRPS to 3G to HSDPA (repeat). PPDB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X