Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per : http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid183_gci212456,00.html

1) In a network, latency, a synonym for delay, is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another. In some usages (for example, AT&T), latency is measured by sending a packet that is returned to the sender and the round-trip time is considered the latency.
The latency assumption seems to be that data should be transmitted instantly between one point and another (that is, with no delay at all). The contributors to network latency include:

Propagation: This is simply the time it takes for a packet to travel between one place and another at the speed of light.

Transmission: The medium itself (whether optical fiber, wireless, or some other) introduces some delay. The size of the packet introduces delay in a round trip since a larger packet will take longer to receive and return than a short one.

Router and other processing: Each gateway node takes time to examine and possibly change the header in a packet (for example, changing the hop count in the time-to-live field).

Other computer and storage delays: Within networks at each end of the journey, a packet may be subject to storage and hard disk access delays at intermediate devices such as switches and bridges. (In backbone statistics, however, this kind of latency is probably not considered.)

2) In a computer system, latency is often used to mean any delay or waiting that increases real or perceived response time beyond the response time desired. Specific contributors to computer latency include mismatches in data speed between the microprocessor and input/output devices and inadequate data buffers.

Within a computer, latency can be removed or "hidden" by such techniques as prefetching (anticipating the need for data input requests) and multithreading, or using parallelism across multiple execution threads.

3) In 3D simulation, in describing a helmet that provides stereoscopic vision and head tracking, latency is the time between the computer detecting head motion to the time it displays the appropriate image.
 
[OUPA]MrNutz;1544044 said:
As per : http://searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid183_gci212456,00.html

1) In a network, latency, a synonym for delay, is an expression of how much time it takes for a packet of data to get from one designated point to another. In some usages (for example, AT&T), latency is measured by sending a packet that is returned to the sender and the round-trip time is considered the latency.
The latency assumption seems to be that data should be transmitted instantly between one point and another (that is, with no delay at all). The contributors to network latency include:

Propagation: This is simply the time it takes for a packet to travel between one place and another at the speed of light.

Transmission: The medium itself (whether optical fiber, wireless, or some other) introduces some delay. The size of the packet introduces delay in a round trip since a larger packet will take longer to receive and return than a short one.

Router and other processing: Each gateway node takes time to examine and possibly change the header in a packet (for example, changing the hop count in the time-to-live field).

Other computer and storage delays: Within networks at each end of the journey, a packet may be subject to storage and hard disk access delays at intermediate devices such as switches and bridges. (In backbone statistics, however, this kind of latency is probably not considered.)

2) In a computer system, latency is often used to mean any delay or waiting that increases real or perceived response time beyond the response time desired. Specific contributors to computer latency include mismatches in data speed between the microprocessor and input/output devices and inadequate data buffers.

Within a computer, latency can be removed or "hidden" by such techniques as prefetching (anticipating the need for data input requests) and multithreading, or using parallelism across multiple execution threads.

3) In 3D simulation, in describing a helmet that provides stereoscopic vision and head tracking, latency is the time between the computer detecting head motion to the time it displays the appropriate image.

Thanks for the heads-up ;)

While I'm pretty OK with what latency is, I don't know how these on-line games measure it and over which protocol.
 
While I'm pretty OK with what latency is, I don't know how these on-line games measure it and over which protocol.

Guild Wars uses encrypted data on TCP/6112

Ingame there is a window that informs the player of what the last packet latency was (it is updated every few seconds) and what the average latency is.

Depending on the latency there is a little green, yellow, orange or red dot (I have only seen the green dot in screenshots, but I know the blood red dot very well :D)

I am going to assume that Guild wars is capable of measuring how long it took for a command to reach the server and confirmation of that command to reach the client.

Now to "log" what I see I run "ping www.google.com -t" while I play. If my Guild Wars connection suddenly stops working and I ALT-Tab to the ping command it is also timing out. The moment the ping packets stop timing out Guild Wars starts working again as well.

I know that ping packets are given a low priority but they actually reflect my Guild Wars experience 100%

Also in Guild Wars some times the latency spikes to 1,500ms - 30,000ms for a few seconds then continues at 500ms - 700ms.
 
Guild Wars uses encrypted data on TCP/6112

Ingame there is a window that informs the player of what the last packet latency was (it is updated every few seconds) and what the average latency is.

Depending on the latency there is a little green, yellow, orange or red dot (I have only seen the green dot in screenshots, but I know the blood red dot very well :D)

I am going to assume that Guild wars is capable of measuring how long it took for a command to reach the server and confirmation of that command to reach the client.

Now to "log" what I see I run "ping www.google.com -t" while I play. If my Guild Wars connection suddenly stops working and I ALT-Tab to the ping command it is also timing out. The moment the ping packets stop timing out Guild Wars starts working again as well.

I know that ping packets are given a low priority but they actually reflect my Guild Wars experience 100%

Also in Guild Wars some times the latency spikes to 1,500ms - 30,000ms for a few seconds then continues at 500ms - 700ms.

Thanks, this is good info. Do you know if there is any way one can log the TCP latency? Someone told me it can be done via scripting in WoW?

While I take your point on ICMP tracking your TCP experience, you know what networking engineers are like. ;)

If you want, PM me the same type of info you posted above and especially how you see ICMP and TCP latencies drop together and I'll pass on to engineering.
 
World of Warcraft communicates on port 3724 with the TCP protocol. The patching process requires port 3724, 6112, and 6881-6999.

3724 TCP 6112 TCP 6881-6999 TCP

But what i find strange is that for the last week and a half I have had the best latency Ive had in my whole WoW experience. I have being sitting between 350-550, most of the time with only occasional spikes and then back to normal. I get these connection speeds morning and night, doing any activity ingame. The only thing that hasnt changed is that the unrestricted APN is still not right and reflects the same latency issues I was having before.

FYI Im in the bedfordview area, and I confirmed with my friend who is in Kempton and he is having the same great latency.
 
World of Warcraft communicates on port 3724 with the TCP protocol. The patching process requires port 3724, 6112, and 6881-6999.

3724 TCP 6112 TCP 6881-6999 TCP

But what i find strange is that for the last week and a half I have had the best latency Ive had in my whole WoW experience. I have being sitting between 350-550, most of the time with only occasional spikes and then back to normal. I get these connection speeds morning and night, doing any activity ingame. The only thing that hasnt changed is that the unrestricted APN is still not right and reflects the same latency issues I was having before.

FYI Im in the bedfordview area, and I confirmed with my friend who is in Kempton and he is having the same great latency.


Lucky you :)
I just wish this could get sorted out for the other peeps moaning on this forum, as well as me.

Lately I dread even connection to the internet via my 3G as I know I,m going to be dissapointed and pi##ed off.

The problem I am having is not only on online gaming but in general any international browsing / downloading etc.. is up the pole. I have even registered for the 3.6 test period before last weekend I was having gr8 speeds now everything has gone belly up and it seems as if no-one is capable of fixing this issue. I am so frustrated I want to pull my hair out and am wondering how ripped off I am going to be if I want to cancel my contracts as in all honesty since posting this issue to Vodacom Via phone - call,customer care,these forums and hello-peter the issue has not been resolved and vc has had 2 weeks to investigate feedback is almost non - existant and progress is painfully inconclusive. VC is going to roll out new services soon how can they be doing this when existing issues persist?

PS Sorry if I am rambling but my blood is boiling
 
Here is a discryption of LAG in BF2

This setting controls latency (or 'lag') compensation, which involves the game attempting to offset the delay between information being sent from your machine to the server and back again (as measured in milliseconds by your Ping). In games without client-side latency compensation, you have to lead your target by a certain amount, since whenever you fire a weapon your bullets will actually register in the game world with a delay equal to your Ping. In BF2, whenever you fire a weapon, whatever appears in your crosshairs at that particular moment is registered as being hit, regardless of where they actually are at that point in time. This removes the need to predict where your target will be based on ping delay, and makes the game feel more responsive. However it can also introduce quirks like ducking behind a wall and still being hit.

Im in Nelspruit the closest tower to me is Nelspruit primary school it is in Sonheuwel and this is about 500m from my house. I get a stable 3 bar connection and my in game latency starts at 120 that is still playable but then its starts going up to 900 and that is not cool at all my connection shows 3.6mbs and stays blue.

196.4.79.20:16567 saix server
Can i connect two 3g modems and bridge connection.
 
Last edited:
World of Warcraft communicates on port 3724 with the TCP protocol. The patching process requires port 3724, 6112, and 6881-6999.

3724 TCP 6112 TCP 6881-6999 TCP

But what i find strange is that for the last week and a half I have had the best latency Ive had in my whole WoW experience. I have being sitting between 350-550, most of the time with only occasional spikes and then back to normal. I get these connection speeds morning and night, doing any activity ingame. The only thing that hasnt changed is that the unrestricted APN is still not right and reflects the same latency issues I was having before.

FYI Im in the bedfordview area, and I confirmed with my friend who is in Kempton and he is having the same great latency.

So in your area (and Kempton) you get good latency lately on internet? / internetvpn? apn, but unrestricted still sucks.

When you guys connect again, without changing anything, post your IP please. It'll not only give the apn info but I can also see where you break out into SAIX.

As I indicated earlier we found some 'fascinating' routing happening 'upstream' but we had that sorted out. It could be what fixed it for you guys.
 
Thanks for that but must i accept that ill just have to be happy having this lag from time to time and there is nothing i can do.
 
So in your area (and Kempton) you get good latency lately on internet? / internetvpn? apn, but unrestricted still sucks.

When you guys connect again, without changing anything, post your IP please. It'll not only give the apn info but I can also see where you break out into SAIX.

As I indicated earlier we found some 'fascinating' routing happening 'upstream' but we had that sorted out. It could be what fixed it for you guys.

K i PMed my IP to u V3G and im using the normal internet APN, not the internetVPN.
 
I get a stable 3 bar connection and my in game latency starts at 120 that is still playable but then its starts going up to 900 and that is not cool at all my connection shows 3.6mbs and stays blue.

This reminds me of a problem I had 2 weeks ago for about a week. Was playing TF2, and after about 45mins-1hour, my latency would instantly shoot from 120 odd to 980 odd. I would exit the game and do some Vodacom Speedtests. The result was decidedly Vanilla 3g (320kbps Down and almost nothing up).

The odd thing was that my E220 Light stayed cyan (hsdpa colour). And by this point I was using the 3G Only option.

I went through every conceivable Firmware, Dashboard, APN combination, and could not guarantee stability. One day *poof* working again. So I put it down to a VC fault which had been corrected.

I will check in later and post my firmware/dashboard versions if anyone would like to try get the same.

On a somewhat related note, my WoW ping has been a stable 600ms for the past 2 weeks, which I'm quite happy with. So it's not a global problem, which makes me wonder about it being a port issue.

Average speedtests at any time of day give me around 2400kbps down and 350kbps up. .. I like living on the 6th floor. :)

MrOoze
 
K i PMed my IP to u V3G and im using the normal internet APN, not the internetVPN.

Actually, according to the IP you PM'd me, you're on the internetvpn APN.

If your IP starts with:

10.x.x.x - you're on the internet apn
196.x.x.x - you're on the internetVPN apn
41.x.x.x - you're on the unrestricted apn.

The last 3 numbers will give an indication where you are in the country.

Can you switch to the internet apn (and back a few times) and give me your experience on gaming latencies.
 
Actually, according to the IP you PM'd me, you're on the internetvpn APN.

If your IP starts with:

10.x.x.x - you're on the internet apn
196.x.x.x - you're on the internetVPN apn
41.x.x.x - you're on the unrestricted apn.

The last 3 numbers will give an indication where you are in the country.

Can you switch to the internet apn (and back a few times) and give me your experience on gaming latencies.

Hi vodacom3g. How can I get unrestricted apn? Maybe this will help me :)

PS would a tracert maybe assist?
 
Last edited:
Actually, according to the IP you PM'd me, you're on the internetvpn APN.

If your IP starts with:

10.x.x.x - you're on the internet apn
196.x.x.x - you're on the internetVPN apn
41.x.x.x - you're on the unrestricted apn.

The last 3 numbers will give an indication where you are in the country.

Can you switch to the internet apn (and back a few times) and give me your experience on gaming latencies.


Wow didnt even know that, then what is the actual name i need to use for the APN settings, mine is currently internet.
 
K i PMed my IP to u V3G and im using the normal internet APN, not the internetVPN.

Actually, according to the IP you PM'd me, you're on the internetvpn APN.

If your IP starts with:

10.x.x.x - you're on the internet apn
196.x.x.x - you're on the internetVPN apn
41.x.x.x - you're on the unrestricted apn.

The last 3 numbers will give an indication where you are in the country.

Can you switch to the internet apn (and back a few times) and give me your experience on gaming latencies.

Wow didnt even know that, then what is the actual name i need to use for the APN settings, mine is currently internet.

:confused: Some confusion going on here:confused::confused:
 
Hi vodacom3g. How can I get unrestricted apn? Maybe this will help me :)

PS would a tracert maybe assist?

Hi Grim,

I'm currently on an unrestricted APN and i have the same problem as everyone else, so i'm pretty sure that it won't sort your problems out.

Last night wasn't to bad, i only had 2 disconnections over 3 hours, but it doesn't seem to be port related because i run a ventrilo server on my home pc and everytime Lord of the rings disconnects so does my vent server.

Also i play with 6 guys of which 5 of them are on vodacom and all have the same problem. The disconnections don't seem to happen all at the same time, so the problems seems to be localized. Not sure if this info helps but i suppose the more info the better.

It doesn't seem to be signal either because all of the guys have great signal with the exception of one.

Anyway hope this helps resolve the issues Vodacom3g.

Looking forward to a trouble free gaming experience :D

P.s it's really nice to have a rep from vodacom on the forums :D i'm an old iburst customer :rolleyes: so this is really great.
 
I reckon Vodacom should send some spies to MTN, because with MTN I have no problems. I was getting latencies of just over 250ms this weekend apposed to the 3000 – 6000ms Vodacom was giving me.

I have tried all different settings, modem software/firmware, motherboard drivers/bios updates, ingame settings, and numerous formats I have given my system.

I have asked blizzard (world of warcraft) to check what is going on with my connection, they say I must run trace route….mmmm, can’t run one of those….they said they can’t help me without that info, but they basically pointed the finger to my ISP for the bad latency.

Maybe I’m stating the obvious here but if we can’t run trace routes we won’t be able to find out where the problem is with Vodacom or wherever the problem lies.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X