Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW my problem has been intermittent over the last 2 weeks getting progressively worse until the height of absurdity was reached this weekend when out of 3 computers in the same house, 2 using new modems, one the older flat one - only 1 would connect/ or only 1 would not connect and there was no pattern.
All this time my s-i-l in the house next door (literally - we have 2 houses on a smallholding and he is not 50m away) could NOT connect at all!!!
 
I've tried that and it's not working.

It's unbelievable. After 2 years of using VCM-Lite without a problem, this is the worst I've experienced.

Now it's suddenly started working again!

Is it a problem with the capacity of the network? Must I now wait until late at night to use 3G?
 
Looks like we've pinned the problem in the Pinelands/Claremont/N1 City/Goodwood area to a transmission link problem.

Should be resolved in the next 24 to 48 hours. Let's watch it.

Tonight has been rock solid for me (touch wood) :cool:
 
I was sitting with random disconnects last yesterday in the day (Cape Town), and some zero throughput problems last night (Bothasig).

I only came to this thread now and noticed the solution of setting the APN manually, so I'm giving it a shot and will see how things go.
 
I was sitting with random disconnects last yesterday in the day (Cape Town), and some zero throughput problems last night (Bothasig).

I only came to this thread now and noticed the solution of setting the APN manually, so I'm giving it a shot and will see how things go.

Don't think that's your problem. The DNS issue will not cause disconnects.
 
We've seen our wireless network here at work interfere with 3G modem's from time to time, so that might have something to do with it.

The zero throughput problem I only have at home though - so I'll see how things go tonight.
 
wireless network interfere

We've seen our wireless network here at work interfere with 3G modem's from time to time, so that might have something to do with it.

The zero throughput problem I only have at home though - so I'll see how things go tonight.

This is actually a valid sounding issue!
I am in Nelspruit and have been following this thread with interest because I experience the same: DNS still in service but no data flow.

Interesting though that a 3G diconnect and connect solves the problem till next flow stoppage!
Allthough this started long after my hardware was placed, still worth the try to move the wireless modem away from the server with the 3G modem!

Is there anyway to source the wireless modem interference?
I used a few wireless modem "sniffers" a while back and found none in my vicinity - I am outside of town with a high gain antenna just getting a 3G signal ranging between -87dB and -101dB thus external interference is definitely a possibility!

I use the following very old utility to monitor the link: http://dracuul.tripod.com/linkmonitor/index.html
and of course this: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=59080&highlight=e620+tool

Just got this friendly response from Voda Data Division:

"Thank you for your patience.
We have received feedback from the Network Division. The department stated that there are no new plans for the area yet.
We do apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Warm Regards
"

At least they say they feel for us!

Cheers,
Neville
 
Hi, I've been experiencing connection problems since Sunday morning, worked nicely the night before... ...

Update: I checked everything from PC to Mobile settings as described on this thread, with out much luck. I was still getting extremey slow or no webpages.

However, coming home tonight, plugged in phone, initiated a connection, and its as if their never was a problem :confused:

All my favourite websites are fully functional, browsing and dl'ing at full speed. Could the SE proprietry software have anything to do with the 80.xxx.xxx.xxx servers. I don't know, cause all through my diags, I could only see the 196.xxx.xxx.xxx servers listed in the "ipconfig /all" with the APN as "internet".

Any other SE users experience the same? I'm just glad Vodacom got it all working again, thanks :D
 
The network is pathetically slow - the modem went above 600kb/s once, and that was when I ran the speed test the first time - the second time I ran it, it couldn't even download the page to run the speed test.
 
The network is pathetically slow - the modem went above 600kb/s once, and that was when I ran the speed test the first time - the second time I ran it, it couldn't even download the page to run the speed test.

Same here on both the internet and internetvpn apns. The speed test went past 1800 but didn't complete - got stuck on 88%:(. I've had to disconnect and reconnect 4 times already because of unresponsive connections:(.
 
Still getting zombie connections for the past few days, but disconnecting and reconnecting gets me a good connection.
Had no problems for the past week then last night has slow international speeds before midnight. After midnight I connected again, after a while my VNC sessions kept getting closed (would get half a screen update, then drop) soon after that I lost connectivity (non DNS or ping) but was still connected.
I tried to reconnect a few times, but just got zombies.
 
Also had probs last night, using my SE C905, got max speed of 3Kbps then kept dropping to 0.1 and off!!!!! Changed my APN and all that jazz, but did nothing for speed. Oh and I am in Goodwood.

Another point, I don't seem to get 3G in my Flat(Vodacom Contract), yet Cell C and MTN subs get perfect reception??? Any ideas?

Cheers
 
I'm getting the strangest result from my connection tonight.

I've got a full signal - connected at HSDPA - and I think for the first time ever, i pinged Google with a 101 packets and lost not a single one.

But, websites aren't loading, or don't want to finish loading - or take forever to load.

Speedtest seems fine - up to a point:
D/L - 1,800 kbps +
U/L - 87 kbps

Whats with the massive discrepancy there?
 
I'm getting the strangest result from my connection tonight.

I've got a full signal - connected at HSDPA - and I think for the first time ever, i pinged Google with a 101 packets and lost not a single one.

But, websites aren't loading, or don't want to finish loading - or take forever to load.

Speedtest seems fine - up to a point:
D/L - 1,800 kbps +
U/L - 87 kbps

Whats with the massive discrepancy there?

Modem type and firmware revision?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X