Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuff that, I cant accept it, i will never give up fighting. I pay for broadband & thats what i want doesnt matter what time of day it is or month. Its like paying for electricity and not having it for 4 hours a day will you accept that. Imagine if everyone just accepted the crappy service, nothing would ever get upgraded or done to fix the problems. So i say Blame Vodacom, cause it is their fault.
 
Would the 'authentication' errors also happen when trying to use gprs on my cellphone becuase I've been getting "GPRS authentication failed" errors a LOT lately.
 
HSDPA download rate pathetic

I was wondering before I get mad again, is their an explanation why the HSDPA download rate is again as low as ISDN. It's just that i did complain the last time, and thx to the great service of v3g we relized the problem was at vodacom's end. NOW i have the same problem again of pathetic rates, which is strange, cause nothing has changed from my end.

Download Speed: 216 kbps (27 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 241 kbps (30.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 281 kbps (35.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 218 kbps (27.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 133 kbps (16.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 219 kbps (27.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 78 kbps (9.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 220 kbps (27.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 167 kbps (20.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 282 kbps (35.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

These were taken no longer than 5 min ago, and about 30sec apart. The upload rate is well, close to perfect, but the download rate is making EDGE look good :mad:

I just want to know if its maintanance on the tower or what it could be?
 
I'm opposite :/

As you'll see in my previous posts I get 800kbps down and 50kbps up. It's not *all* the time though, so I'm not complaining fully though ;)
 
The main thing i notice is that people tend to say the same thing "paying for a service, they should provide the service", which i agree with, for example, nobody would be here complaining if the amount they payed dropped when the service dropped :), it's fair in my opinion (not that it will become a reality EVER).

Vodacom like other companies, are like rechargeable batteries, the more you complain the better the service, if you don't complain the service keeps on going down :)
 
I'm also not ready to go shoot something yet, i only noticed it last night, when i constantly got timeout errors from websites, and only did the speed test today, so it might be something temporarily wrong with the tower, cause I have direct line of sight to it, and really close to it, maybe like 150m max.
 
line of site makes a difference with 3G ... ?
 
Well vodacom will tell you, the less things that can interfere with the signal the better, so ye, if there is a tree in your way to the tower it might effect your download rate :p
 
Based on the symptoms being described, I would be more inclined to suspect backhaul congestion where purely 3G[only] is being used, and where GPRS is being used a combination of 2G base-station-timeslot congestion as well as backhaul link congestion.

So, if there is congestion - increase your infra-structure! With all the money Vodacom spend on advertising, surely they have money in abundance to do just that?
 
If only it was my personal infrastructure, and sadly it isn't Vodacom's infrastructure either - Vodacom rents the ability to pass electrons & photons through the infrastructure that belongs to Telkodemonopolies...

And in other news: Faster fiber rollout made possible...

The City of Cape Town already awarded MTN the contract to build a infra-structure for them - and completely removing anything Telkom.

Sorry, ic, but if MTN can do it, so can Vodacom.
 
Ok, I've got the Vodacom 3G tower sitting just outside my window and it feels super fast! However, when I go to work, it disconnects a lot, get crappy signal, etc. Needless to say, I can't wait to get home in the afternoon... :)

Feels like iBurst when it just started...
 
YEP ... the evenings on 3G are atrocious ... absolute at it's worst between 8-10pm but not much better until after 12pm .... early hours of the morning is about the only time I ever get ANY work done on 3G and is the sole reason I have not been to bed before 4am for the last 8 weeks.

Have raised this issue with Vodacom constantly over the last 8 weeks but still no resolve. In my case 100% full strength signal ... correct software, hardware and everything else ... believe me we have ruled out anything on our side and this includes confirmation from one of Vodacom's engineers that it is not anything on my end. Have also emailed V3G about this but yet to get any reply ... read somewhere he was jolling all over Europe but hopefully he is back soon (where are you V3g?).

Some days from 8am till about 10am it works OK but then the rest of the day it starts with it's usual timeouts sometimes up to 62% loss on pings to "local" servers and Major local root servers. Have kept many of these ping results on record.

Definitely there is something seriously wrong and the silence from vodacom is worrying. I have lost major time over the last 8 weeks due to the inability to get anything done. Have had several clients of ours threaten to take their work elsewhere because we are made to look like toffee due to our inability to be online. In most cases the excessive ping timeouts case a normal 10 minute job to take anything up to an hour ... hows THAT for productivity.

But ... I am officially stuck with Vodacom as my only online connectivity option so basically I have to put up with it until these issues are resolved. Either that or move somewhere else where I can get ADSL or Iburst or something of that nature ..... hmmmmmm ..... the joys of technology.
 
Yup, have noticed that as well.

In my area it started around 3 weeks ago (after I installed the high gain antenna, -59dbm).

Full signal, used both the dashboard software and the E620 tool.

I even tried using my 3G with my antenna disconnected (-85dbm signal) and although it was a smidgen better, it is still so slow.

In general I see an improvement from around 11pm onwards.

I think that a service level agreement should be in place whereby a minimum speed should be adhered to (ie. 192k d/l for 3G / HSDPA).

This reminds me of Telkom days when 56k was what we paid for but Telkom only guaranteed their lines to 9kbps (or was it 12k?).

This is not a B!tch about Vodacom but rather a rant about the current service we are receiving (or rather, not receiving).

In general, their cellular service is excellent per me (3 contract phones and one pre-paid).
 
What about outside of the hours 18:00..23:59:59, what is the throughput like then, and is this a specific server that you're downloading from or is it all sites that you try to access?

Have you run any speed tests using http://speed.vodacom.co.za/ - post a few test results.

You should also email this info to [email protected] and ask Vodacom to investigate - also mention the hostname(s) of the site(s) you're trying to download from...

I don't know if your rant is going to help, you're certainly entitled to rant, but it doesn't mean that we cannot try to help you help yourself.


OK, let me try to answer some questions. I have an E220 , latest firmware. I am 500meters from the tower. I have FULL strength signal.
I work from home and durin the day my connection runs like the wind.

Last night being end of month was especially bad. This evening I managed to get a 30KB/s download speed. This is not limited to certain sites, but surfing in general.

I am fairly sure that it is caused by congestion on the network.

Hanno
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X