Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned before I use the Sentech speed test but I used the voda speed test this morning and the results were alarming to say the least...

Download Speed: 1813 kbps (226.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 350 kbps (43.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Can any one explain the massive differentials between the 2 different speed tests?
 
I presume the first test is Sentech and the second Vodacom? The Vodacom test is on Voda's internal network so you're always likely to get higher speeds. That the Sentech one is so much slower suggests there's congestion on Vodacom's peering links or core network beyond the speed test.
 
10:08am

Vodacom Speed Test

D/Load: 141kbps
U/Load: 240kbps

10:12am
D/Load: 910kbps
U/Load: 263kbps

This was done after a reboot. Think thats one of the highest d/load speeds I have ever achieved!
 
Last edited:
OK, time for a bit of heavy ranting here.

I think the last time I've ever been able to get a working GPRS connection on my phone after 5PM has been more than 3 weeks ago. This is crap.

I think my problems mirror Cathryn's and I don't see anything being done about it. The guys on 3G get slow speeds but what about us on prepaid that can't even connect? I'm on prepaid trying to access GPRS from my phone (6230i) and have failed to get a working connection for ages now. Contract people seem to connect fine.

If v3g doesn't give me a date as to when this will be resolved I'm gonna have to port to MTN or Virgin. So could I please get a definitive answer?

I've posted the details in a previous post and also PMed v3g details.
 
I heard something about Vodacom's prepaid billing systems having problems, maybe that's got something to do with it? Use GPRS on my contract phone (W800i) all the time and must say I never really have any problems with it so maybe it is prepaid specific? Got a 6230i around here somewhere so I'll try it tonight with a prepaid sim and see if it works.
 
OK, time for a bit of heavy ranting here.

I think the last time I've ever been able to get a working GPRS connection on my phone after 5PM has been more than 3 weeks ago. This is crap.

I think my problems mirror Cathryn's and I don't see anything being done about it. The guys on 3G get slow speeds but what about us on prepaid that can't even connect? I'm on prepaid trying to access GPRS from my phone (6230i) and have failed to get a working connection for ages now. Contract people seem to connect fine.

If v3g doesn't give me a date as to when this will be resolved I'm gonna have to port to MTN or Virgin. So could I please get a definitive answer?

I've posted the details in a previous post and also PMed v3g details.

And I did pass it on and made a big stink, so I know the guys are looking into it. Will see what update I can get today.
 
@ic, I've had this sim for about 3 and a half years with my top up contract. With regards to the up load speed, I'm not sure if it has ever exceeded 64kbps - the recent speed tests in August always show is below 64 kbps. @V3g, before I connect, the Huawei software shows WCDMA and the led on the modem is dark blue. After I connect, the Huawei software shows HSDPA and the led changes to a light blue/green colour.
 
OK, time for a bit of heavy ranting here.

I think the last time I've ever been able to get a working GPRS connection on my phone after 5PM has been more than 3 weeks ago. This is crap.

I think my problems mirror Cathryn's and I don't see anything being done about it. The guys on 3G get slow speeds but what about us on prepaid that can't even connect? I'm on prepaid trying to access GPRS from my phone (6230i) and have failed to get a working connection for ages now. Contract people seem to connect fine.

If v3g doesn't give me a date as to when this will be resolved I'm gonna have to port to MTN or Virgin. So could I please get a definitive answer?

I've posted the details in a previous post and also PMed v3g details.

Some changes were made last night. Let me know if it's better.
 
@ic, I've had this sim for about 3 and a half years with my top up contract. With regards to the up load speed, I'm not sure if it has ever exceeded 64kbps - the recent speed tests in August always show is below 64 kbps. @V3g, before I connect, the Huawei software shows WCDMA and the led on the modem is dark blue. After I connect, the Huawei software shows HSDPA and the led changes to a light blue/green colour.

Dark blue is 384/64, sea green / turquoise is HSDPA.
 
Ok, after numerous problems over the past 4 weeks, I've had full 3G speeds all day today. Is this related to the network changes, or is it simply because it's a public holiday today and the network isn't as clogged? Is there anyone else who has had problems getting a 3G signal (from a 3G enabled area) getting better signal today?
 
Ok, after numerous problems over the past 4 weeks, I've had full 3G speeds all day today. Is this related to the network changes, or is it simply because it's a public holiday today and the network isn't as clogged? Is there anyone else who has had problems getting a 3G signal (from a 3G enabled area) getting better signal today?

I've also found it to be much better today, just hope it continues. :)
 
Ok, after numerous problems over the past 4 weeks, I've had full 3G speeds all day today. Is this related to the network changes, or is it simply because it's a public holiday today and the network isn't as clogged? Is there anyone else who has had problems getting a 3G signal (from a 3G enabled area) getting better signal today?

Agreed, been aboslutely flying today but I reckon it's as a result of the public holiday. We will know this time tomorrow, mind you it's super quick weekends too...
 
back to crawling unless you believe the vodacom speed test

crawling again unless you believe the vodacom speed test results posted below...

Download Speed: 1732 kbps (216.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

now sentech


Your download speed is: 15.02 KBps, or 120.19 Kbps


what gives?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X