Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Accolades

Over the past few years I have complained several times about lack of speed, latency, disconnects, etc. It is only just that I should now state that over the past several weeks I have been very happy - no downlink loss, no disconnects and a very acceptable speed.

The test I did minutes ago shows:

Download Speed: 986 kbps (123.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 297 kbps (37.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Thanks Vodacom and thanks V3G for your efforts!

Now waiting for 3.6Mbps and beyond!!!
:)
 
problems with network availability after 7pm

hi there
i live in cape town and i use the 3g usb modem on my laptop
it works perfectly all day but every night sometime after 7pm i lose my network connection
it's never at the same time (but always after 7pm) and sometimes it's a few minutes and sometimes hours
i work online and i have to be online from 3pm to 11pm, so this is horrible for me
why does this happen?
is it because the network is overloaded at those times?
can i do anything to prevent it?

Btw, the bars on my vodacom window are always the same, even when i lose the connection and i live in downtown CT, so it's not a case of losing a signal but a case of losing my connection to the network

Thanks for any replies
 
What error message do you get when trying to connect? If your dash allows sending sms, try sending one just to confirm that you are at least connected to Vodacom.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!
 
My connection drops the whole time, using a Nokia 6234 and a MacBook.
After about 20 MB thru put it just stops.
 
What error message do you get when trying to connect? If your dash allows sending sms, try sending one just to confirm that you are at least connected to Vodacom.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

thanks for the welcome
i dont get any error message but the up/down kb/s go to zero and the red signal from the little tower disappears
tried sending sms...doesnt work but only works half the time anyway when i am fully connected
 
My internet apn also did not have any data through put. I'm using the internetvpn at the moment.

This is one of the reasons for having several APN's so that we can try and stay connected for as long as possible. Question why does one APN work and another not?? Are we not using the same hardware & software but with different rule sets?:confused:
:cool:
 
Annoyed Consumer!

hey guys been using vodacom's 3g service for a few months now and i'm completely dissapointed! :mad:

the following software and firmware in use:

E220Update_11.110.05.00.00(3.6M Vista)
VMCLite_E220_2.2.2.1_standard

with a vodacom 3g e220 usb modem , windows xp sp2 pro.

ok so here are my complaints.. every night its the same story, I click connect in vmclite. it establish a 3g connection. ok so awesome great i get a very solid 3 bars signal.

- random amount of time passes online... it changes to 2g/gprs the signal light goes green and my connection becomes un-usable and pathetic.

ok so reconnect, no difference, move 3g modem into another usb port, no difference, move 3g modem around physically... and somtimes it goes blue again --. problem solved.

-- random amount of time passes online, it suddently drops the connection. I try to reconnect , i click connect in vmc lite... it greys the button for 2 seconds and then gives me the option to click connect. i do so over and over to no avail.

-- bashes head against wall.... so i restart my pc and change nothing else and click connect , yes it works on 3g.

random amount of time passes online... repeat cycle.

please note for everyone who says "your signal isnt strong enough" as an answer, I get a solid 3 bars consistently. so no that isnt the answer.

please note for everyone who says "your modem is faulty" its been tested at a vodacom shop and passed succesfully.


ok so my complaint is... is this just what i must expect from such technology? or is there something i'm missing in terms of troubleshooting this problem.

thoughts? suggestions? ;>

thanks much.

-J
 
Trying to connect to gubb.net/m on cellphone windows mobile smartphone 5.

Get the message: "
Bad Gateway

The following error occurred:

Code:
 The IP address was not found during the DNS lookup. Contact your system administrator
"

Did a lookup on my iBurst on laptop, found the IP for gubb.net as 64.74.171.47
Tried http://64.74.171.47/m/
Got the error: "
Gateway Timeout
The following error occured:
[code=GATEWAY_TIMEOUT] A gateway timeout occurred. The server is unreachable. Retry the request.
"

Settings are all as per normal, internet apn, WAP proxy etc. I can access other sites with no problem.

What is the problem here? WAP proxy? DNS? Routing?
 
hey guys been using vodacom's 3g service for a few months now and i'm completely dissapointed! :mad:

the following software and firmware in use:

E220Update_11.110.05.00.00(3.6M Vista)
VMCLite_E220_2.2.2.1_standard

with a vodacom 3g e220 usb modem , windows xp sp2 pro.

ok so here are my complaints.. every night its the same story, I click connect in vmclite. it establish a 3g connection. ok so awesome great i get a very solid 3 bars signal.

- random amount of time passes online... it changes to 2g/gprs the signal light goes green and my connection becomes un-usable and pathetic.

ok so reconnect, no difference, move 3g modem into another usb port, no difference, move 3g modem around physically... and somtimes it goes blue again --. problem solved.

-- random amount of time passes online, it suddently drops the connection. I try to reconnect , i click connect in vmc lite... it greys the button for 2 seconds and then gives me the option to click connect. i do so over and over to no avail.

-- bashes head against wall.... so i restart my pc and change nothing else and click connect , yes it works on 3g.

random amount of time passes online... repeat cycle.

please note for everyone who says "your signal isnt strong enough" as an answer, I get a solid 3 bars consistently. so no that isnt the answer.

please note for everyone who says "your modem is faulty" its been tested at a vodacom shop and passed succesfully.


ok so my complaint is... is this just what i must expect from such technology? or is there something i'm missing in terms of troubleshooting this problem.

thoughts? suggestions? ;>

thanks much.

-J

Maybe not signal strength, but signal quality? Or does that only apply to voice?
 
@Vodacom3G.

For the past few days I have been having trouble using my 3G connection. I have a Nokia N70 that I use as a modem.

I connect about 18:00 or so and use the internet for the night.

Nothing has changed on my end but the network has become VERY unstable.

I am not talking about random spikes in the latency. I am talking about my connection just stopping.

I have 144MB left of a 500MB PPDB and it expires the 25th November (Confirmed with both *111# and www.vodacom4me.co.za)

Here are the symptoms:

I connect to the network (the same way I used for the past few months. Nothing has changed) and I open my network connection status window. It is connected and sending data but it received 234 bytes of data and that is that. Nothing I do can get it to receive any more data.

I disconnect and try again, and again, and again. Finally I get a connection that receives data. Yipeeee!

Now a random number of minutes later my connection stops. At anything between 1MB and 10MB it just STOPS. NADA. Nothing gets through. It still sends data but it does not receive anything.

I disconnect and try again, and again, and again. Finally I get a connection that receives data. Yipeeee!

Rinse and repeat for the rest of the night.

This makes playing Guild Wars kinda impossible.

Can you please let me know if this is a voda network problem or SAIX or what? Is there a network status page that I can go to to see if voda is having problems?

@Vodacom3G, any idea what is up with this? It happened again last night on a different phone with a new data bundle.
 
I'm getting "Packet data connection not available" since yesterday morning in Waltloo and Garsfontein and inbetween, am I the only one with this problem?
 
hey guys been using vodacom's 3g service for a few months now and i'm completely dissapointed! :mad:

the following software and firmware in use:

E220Update_11.110.05.00.00(3.6M Vista)
VMCLite_E220_2.2.2.1_standard

with a vodacom 3g e220 usb modem , windows xp sp2 pro.

ok so here are my complaints.. every night its the same story, I click connect in vmclite. it establish a 3g connection. ok so awesome great i get a very solid 3 bars signal.

- random amount of time passes online... it changes to 2g/gprs the signal light goes green and my connection becomes un-usable and pathetic.

ok so reconnect, no difference, move 3g modem into another usb port, no difference, move 3g modem around physically... and somtimes it goes blue again --. problem solved.

-- random amount of time passes online, it suddently drops the connection. I try to reconnect , i click connect in vmc lite... it greys the button for 2 seconds and then gives me the option to click connect. i do so over and over to no avail.

-- bashes head against wall.... so i restart my pc and change nothing else and click connect , yes it works on 3g.

random amount of time passes online... repeat cycle.

please note for everyone who says "your signal isnt strong enough" as an answer, I get a solid 3 bars consistently. so no that isnt the answer.

please note for everyone who says "your modem is faulty" its been tested at a vodacom shop and passed succesfully.


ok so my complaint is... is this just what i must expect from such technology? or is there something i'm missing in terms of troubleshooting this problem.

thoughts? suggestions? ;>

thanks much.

-J
@highroller! Has yor problem been solved????

v3g once said the signal strenght is not the be all & end all but the quality of the signal! I can testify to that. I have more 1 bar signal strenght's than 4 or even 5, but I connect & have relative good up/down speeds. IMO, what you have to do is:-
1) get rid of VMC-lite what ever version. Download Generic from Huawei (Manufacturers of the E220 Modem) from here http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=736
Download the 2nd last file, to a folder where you can find it. Close all programs, un-install vmc-lite & then run the file that you have downloaded. follow the prompts. You don't have to force load the program.
2) When setting up a new profile, as ic has said you should select 3G only. This definitely works where the signal jumps around.

:cool:
 
Last edited:
@highroller! Has yor problem been solved????

v3g once said the signal strenght is not the be all & end all but the quality of the signal! I can testify to that. I have more 1 bar signal strenght's than 4 or even 5, but I connect & have relative good up/down speeds. IMO, what you have to do is:-
1) get rid of VMC-lite what ever version. Download Generic from Huawei (Manufacturers of the E220 Modem) from here http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/list.do?type=-1&id=736
Download the 2nd last file, to a folder where you can find it. Close all programs, un-install vmc-lite & then run the file that you have downloaded. follow the prompts. You don't have to force load the program.
2) When setting up a new profile, as ic has said you should select 3G only. This definitely works where the signal jumps around.

:cool:

So i was right. It could be the signal quality.

Like yesterday, i was so frustrated. It felt like i was on 56k Dial-Up. Had 4 bars of Signal (very good not so?) and i got pathetic speeds and little to no data throughput. And this during the day! Everything seems to be fine now though.
 
Had 4 bars of Signal (very good not so?)
Bars are not a good measurement of signal strength. Four bars is an indicator of how good last night on the town was, and how big your hangover will be.
 
@V3G: 619 Errors in Scottsville Pietermaritzburg ..

Since this morning 8AM

Was fine when I disconnected last night at about 21:00 ...

Both on 3G & GPRS ...

3+ Bars Signal ...

It's cloudy & drizzling but that does not normally stop things ...

Have over 700Mb of my PPDB left (expires 29th November) ...

First "Serious Downtime" since I tossed my Wisp (beginning October) ...

Working from the local Internet Cafe (I have shares in the place ;) )

Location again: Scottsville Pietermarirzburg

Thanks in advance!

- Rob

Edit: According to the V4Me Data Bundles:

I have 0.00 MB and R0.00 left. Not true, I have seen this "false reporting" earlier this month, I keep my own records (use Net Meter to log usage) and I KNOW what I had yesterday and what I used :(

EditEdit: According to the V4Me Data Bundles:

OK, now at 12PM showing 796Mb / R25 (This sounds right) so maybe when I get home things will will work, will advise ...
 
Last edited:
Bars are not a good measurement of signal strength. Four bars is an indicator of how good last night on the town was, and how big your hangover will be.

Point taken!

But seriously, i'm lucky to be working in 3G Hotspot... Its Blazing! I'm probably right in the middle of it all.
 
Since this morning 8AM

>>>>>>>>>>

Edit: According to the V4Me Data Bundles:

I have 0.00 MB and R0.00 left. Not true, I have seen this "false reporting" earlier this month, I keep my own records (use Net Meter to log usage) and I KNOW what I had yesterday and what I used :(

Edit Edit: According to the V4Me Data Bundles:

OK, now at 12PM showing 796Mb / R25 (This sounds right) so maybe when I get home things will will work, will advise ...

:D Back on the 3G (damm, the ADSL at the Internet Cafe was actually slow this morning) so obviously a PPDB balance / accounting issue at Voda caused this "out" ...

All good!
 
signal

ok so my signal hovers around 91dBm to 105dbm, certainly not as good as it should be, what can be done to improve this? (if that is a stupid question i apologize) but would getting a longer usb cable and sticking it near a window make a difference? i'm in a ground floor flat.

anwayz i've stopped using vmclite and just using the connection as a raw dialup sessions through windows and the stability has improved alot.

thanks for the all the info so far guys. appreciate it. :)

-jon
 
You could try a longer USB cable to get your E220 closer to a Window, but if you're using a notebook, first take your E220 and notebook on a field trip to the otherside of that Window [outdoors] and use ginggs' application and http://speed.vodacom.co.za/ to see what difference it makes going from indoors to outdoors. There is also an induction coupler that can be used with the E220 for connecting an external antenna - have a look at poyntingdirect.co.za, but try the other stuff first & post an update here.

I've marked the perfect placement for my E220 modem with a pen on my desk - been through moving the modem around, cos my signal is not very good at work. At home I can place it anywhere in the house & get 100% - very nice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X