Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, looks like we got the DNS issue licked, let's get back to the slow throughput.

I wanna do a quick poll. :)

If you've seen a sudden drop in throughput over the last few weeks, won't you please post the date where you believe it started.

Please add your location or, even better, make sure your location field is updated.

I was looking at some stats and saw a specific event in the Cape Area that seems to have started around the 30th of April. Makes sense?
 
If anyone read my previous post I said I would move back over to Telkom 3g tomorrow. After paying my previous high bill from Telkom, I planned to cancel the contract. They also suspended the service as I had reached my credit limit.

Well to cut a long story short I could not wait till tomorrow, whipped out the Telkom 3g sim checked the balance saw I was reconnected and slapped the sim into the router.

And here you go



Lets see Vodacom blame SAIX now

Ping sucks, but hey, better than 0.3mbps. Still not happy with Telkom's admin though so not going to drop VC just yet but come 5 days and no response and matching performance VC is history...sad... I've been a VC customer since 1996, business and private. My cellphone bill average last two years was +- R 5000.00 per month. After this bad show on VC part, what can I say, Well they probably wont' miss me anyway

What modem are you using to get that upload speed? I was using an E220 which is pegged at 384mbs upload. Maybe my B970 will work OK. If so, I must just get reconnected again.;)
 
OK, looks like we got the DNS issue licked, let's get back to the slow throughput.

I wanna do a quick poll. :)

If you've seen a sudden drop in throughput over the last few weeks, won't you please post the date where you believe it started.

Please add your location or, even better, make sure your location field is updated.

I was looking at some stats and saw a specific event in the Cape Area that seems to have started around the 30th of April. Makes sense?


I noticed this on the 3/5/2009. Maybe it started a few days before.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=2758592&postcount=4281

The VC tower I get my signal from is:
Cnr Trichardt and Kingfisher, Sunward Park, Boksburg.
I live 800m from the tower. (Sunward Park Ext 5)
BTW: I have taken this up before without positive results from VC - A large percentage of the signal from this tower is beamed into an open veld and not towards Sunward Park ext 5.
The result is that VC is missing out on a large built up area. (Edge but poor 3G)
As mentioned, I live 800m from the tower and I am on the fringe. Maybe some tower optimization will generate extra income for VC. Kindly refer to your Tower signal footprint, which I have checked out as fairly accurate.
Telkom 3G gives me +/- 4.8mbs from the same tower site.
 
What modem are you using to get that upload speed? I was using an E220 which is pegged at 384mbs upload. Maybe my B970 will work OK. If so, I must just get reconnected again.;)

Hi

I'm using a B970 works fine with Telkom 3G

Here's tonight's results, latency bad, but hey that's broadband speed, I'm sure they will fix the latency



I am going to give up on VC at month end if I don't see the same results.. I see Vodacom3G is trying to help and active on the forums and should be commended for that but I can't pay monthly and struggle with speed tests and dns tests and 155 calls anymore. these speed tests waste money. I feel if I am going to pay for broadband, I must get broadband period.
 
Last edited:
OK, looks like we got the DNS issue licked, let's get back to the slow throughput.

I wanna do a quick poll. :)

If you've seen a sudden drop in throughput over the last few weeks, won't you please post the date where you believe it started.

Please add your location or, even better, make sure your location field is updated.

I was looking at some stats and saw a specific event in the Cape Area that seems to have started around the 30th of April. Makes sense?

Nelspruit.
General drop in throuput and increased latency as of 5 May.

I still jokingly said it had something to do with being released from Telkom.
Only reason why I remember.

PS: Thx for fixing DNS probs. :cool:
 
I've had no issues with speed, DNS or Google services over the past few weeks.

A friend of mine who stays in town got a Vodacom pre-paid SIM for his E272 last week and has been complaining about speed, access to Google and hourly disconnects ever since.
Tested at my place last night, got over 4700kbps(!) on Vodacom speed test.
I will update with his tower info.

Update: He reports the cell ID is consistently 23908.
 
Last edited:
I'd have to agree with the majority that all this started happening at the beginning of May (when Telkom was released from VC). Cause in April I was working just fine at my place in Fourways.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X