Vodacom Problems: Slow Throughput, trying to Connect, DNS, High Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.
3G+ but slower than 56k

Hi

My connection has been telling me for the last day or so that its 3g or 3g+ but I am getting speeds that seem worse than 56k. Loading this forum took 30 seconds. Speedtest.net to a london server gave me no higher than 0.5 Mbps on 5 seperate tries for the download and in comparison to other Vodacom members tests rated less than 50% than thier average.

A couple months ago I had other issues and had a Vodocom technican come out and help out which sorted the issues but it seems that everytime the issue is sorted out things are fine for a couple weeks and then something else crops up.

Very happy with the service I've been given but getting a little tired of calling the techy every two weeks as I am sure he is as well.

Is there something going on that is slowing down the network speeds in the Belfast, Mpumalanga area?

Speed test results
==================================================

Vodacom Speed Test

Download: 141 Kilobits/sec
Upload: ? Waited at least a minute, nothing happened

Speedtest.net - JHB Server

Ping: 219 ms
Download: 0.24 Mbps
Upload: Again, this did not happen


Speedtest.net - New York Server

Ping: 417 ms
Download: 0.14 Mbps
Upload: 0.02 Mbps

Modem details :- Using Connect Lite (Version 3.2.1.156) on Vista Home Premium x64 + SP1

Firmware version: 11.117.09.04.00
IMEI: 356635026009665
APN: Internet
 
Last edited:
Right, its now going onto the 5TH DAY that there has been NO connectivity in the Kloof / Forrest Hills area, Durban, 10 minutes or more for a page to load, NO SPEED AT ALL, continuous disconnets!!! Will someone who is earning a salary form all the money that I am pouring into Vodacom every month please get up off their rear ends, pull the finger out, and finally do something about it! Enough said! And let someone DARE say call 155 or contact support, and I swear the reply will get me banned from this forum! :mad:
 
Right, its now going onto the 5TH DAY that there has been NO connectivity in the Kloof / Forrest Hills area, Durban, 10 minutes or more for a page to load, NO SPEED AT ALL, continuous disconnets!!! Will someone who is earning a salary form all the money that I am pouring into Vodacom every month please get up off their rear ends, pull the finger out, and finally do something about it! Enough said! And let someone DARE say call 155 or contact support, and I swear the reply will get me banned from this forum! :mad:

No prizes for guessing my reply: :)

PM please, use the template in my sig and I'll forward to the banana boys.
 
Someone seems to have stolen the wheels off the VC Limo again here in Boksburg.


A few days ago I was down in PE and was getting the limo into overdrive.
D/L 3.7mbs
U/L 1.3mbs
That was from the Summerstrand tower using Speedtest, JHB site.

But back here about 800m from the tower, using an external antenna, this!
I really suspect that the VC network is getting overcrowded, and falling over.
So VC use some of the cash you generated on your listing to invest in upgrading the SA network :mad:
 
Yup, there's a problem affecting WC data connectivity. Will post more details as I get it.
Things aren't too bad here in Paarl.
Download Speed: 3212 kbps (401.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1230 kbps (153.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

BTW what cable are they laying down the full length of the N1 from CT to Paarl, anyone?
 
Yes please. Results in text format as well please, for those of us who pay by the megabyte. :)

I have run tests for the last two hours or so just to get a clearer picture.

Date & Time of test

11:22:00 AM 0.05 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server)
11:29:00 AM 0.12 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[
11:31:00 AM 0.08(Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494139796.png

11:36:00 AM 0.55 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494141712.png
11:38:00 AM 0.36 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494142575.png
11:40:00 AM 0.45 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)

11:42:00 AM 1.16 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494144449.png
11:43:00 AM 0.71 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494144995.png
11:44:00 AM 0.51 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494145460.png

12:29:00 PM 0.16 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494164923.png
12:30:00 PM 0.30 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494165834.png
12:31:00 PM 0.33 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494166510.png

12:38:00 PM 0.18 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494169402.png
12:41:00 PM 0.59 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494170839.png
12:45:00 PM 0.15 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494172636.png

12:51:00 PM 0.42 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server)
01:00:00 PM 0.07 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494179224.png
01:01:00 PM 0.25 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494180011.png


"All tests done on www.speedtest.net. Only DOWNLOAD speeds shown in spread sheet, to see full results please visit the individual links to speedtest.net result image."
12-Jun-09

Note: I did phone 155 last night - Was assured that there was "NO network problems" reported in my area but that the support people would look into the slow speeds and get back to me.

I was then handed a reference number and I am still waiting some sort of result, if just a call to say they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.
 
Sitting in the CTICC @ the Cape Town Book Fair and have 5 bars of HSDPA. FTP flies, I've just skyped an author in Germany and all our sites load faster than I have ever seen. Whoo hoo!!
Thanks Vodacom
Cory
 
ANyone else's internet access in CT buggered like mine at the moment?

connected...waiting...waiting...waiting...transferring...2min later....transferring...3min later...transferring...:erm:
 
I having this problem when suddenly after having 3 bars I have no signal (for like 1 hour) and then 3 bars again. :mad::mad::mad:
 
3G really crap this morning ...

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

in fact, the last couple of days have been really k@k ....

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

When will Vodacom get it right??? - How bout NEVER!!!!!!

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

It doesn't help giving away free data when ur network is THIS unreliable.

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

FFS!!!! GET IT RIGHT FOR ONCE!!!!!!!
 
I have run tests for the last two hours or so just to get a clearer picture.

Date & Time of test

11:22:00 AM 0.05 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server)
11:29:00 AM 0.12 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[
11:31:00 AM 0.08(Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494139796.png

11:36:00 AM 0.55 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494141712.png
11:38:00 AM 0.36 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494142575.png
11:40:00 AM 0.45 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)

11:42:00 AM 1.16 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494144449.png
11:43:00 AM 0.71 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494144995.png
11:44:00 AM 0.51 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494145460.png

12:29:00 PM 0.16 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494164923.png
12:30:00 PM 0.30 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494165834.png
12:31:00 PM 0.33 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494166510.png

12:38:00 PM 0.18 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server) http://www.speedtest.net/result/494169402.png
12:41:00 PM 0.59 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494170839.png
12:45:00 PM 0.15 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494172636.png

12:51:00 PM 0.42 (Speed in Mb/s to Johanesburg Server)
01:00:00 PM 0.07 (Speed in Mb/s to London Server)[http://www.speedtest.net/result/494179224.png
01:01:00 PM 0.25 (Speed in Mb/s to New York Server)http://www.speedtest.net/result/494180011.png


"All tests done on www.speedtest.net. Only DOWNLOAD speeds shown in spread sheet, to see full results please visit the individual links to speedtest.net result image."
12-Jun-09

Note: I did phone 155 last night - Was assured that there was "NO network problems" reported in my area but that the support people would look into the slow speeds and get back to me.

I was then handed a reference number and I am still waiting some sort of result, if just a call to say they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

:(
 
3G really crap this morning ...

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

in fact, the last couple of days have been really k@k ....

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

When will Vodacom get it right??? - How bout NEVER!!!!!!

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

It doesn't help giving away free data when ur network is THIS unreliable.

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

FFS!!!! GET IT RIGHT FOR ONCE!!!!!!!

Having the same issues right now - international access down to almost nothing with crazy latency! (PTA EAST)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X