VOIP Handsets

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Going to give the VOIP thing a try - but need a handset at home. Do handsets work with any VOIP provider?

We're unfortunately loosing our home number, would have been nice to port it - but don't want the hassle of confusing my Telkom cancellation.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Yes, think of a VoIP phone as a PC. All you really need is the registration details from your provider and you should be good to go.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Yup I have done this many times... plugged in a Yealink to the internet, and it accessed a SIP account I had set up with a SIP provider. You can even port your Telkom landline number to a VoIP provider

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Thanks - thought as much.

No way I'm trying to port my Telkom number, it'll just delay the cancellation.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I think you're in CT.

Have a look on gumtree, there's a guy selling Snom VOIP phones for between R300 and R400. The model I linked to is the Snom 370. I grabbed two, one for my office and the other I'll just moer in the passage or kitchen somewhere. The phones are coming from a call centre which closed down. The guy has loads!

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Thanks - thought as much.

No way I'm trying to port my Telkom number, it'll just delay the cancellation.
When I did it with Switch Telecom... it was pretty painless... however valid point, they gave me a new number on the physical landline which has been impossible to cancel... that was 3 years ago.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
I think you're in CT.

Have a look on gumtree, there's a guy selling Snom VOIP phones for between R300 and R400. The model I linked to is the Snom 370. I grabbed two, one for my office and the other I'll just moer in the passage or kitchen somewhere. The phones are coming from a call centre which closed down. The guy has loads!
There is a guy on Carbonite selling new SNOM handsets, with shipping for R700 odd..

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
There is a guy on Carbonite selling new SNOM handsets, with shipping for R700 odd..
Found it, not bad! I do however prefer the 370 version, but I think the firmware might be outdated and I'll have to update it to the latest stable release.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Note you might need an AC adapter, as these were POE... I think I am going to get one aswell... R300 is not a big loss if he is a scammer.
I'm actually looking for a POE switch. I don't give a schit about gigabit ethernet since it will only be for my cameras and phones.

panayi

We went with the Siemens A510IP (there are newer models)- can take up to 6 VOIP accounts (one of then for us is Freshphone) and also you can link your old DECT "analogue" handsets as extra extensions...R1750 from Cool Ideas at the time.

airborne

Executive Member
Also consider what's called a sat connector(I might be getting the name wrong) , basically a small Voip box that you can connector to a router and any normal analogue handset incl cordless handsets, sell for around R400.

Clarotech

Clarotech representative
Company Rep
Those Snom 370 @ R400 are a really good deal if they are still in good condition. Easy enough to get the firmware current.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Can you run one account on more than one device actively?
I am not sure but what I have done in the past is to create a group, so that all phones ring on an incoming call but when a call is made they all go via the primary SIP account. I am a little rusty but if I sit and work through it I am sure I will remember how I did that.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Going to give the VOIP thing a try - but need a handset at home. Do handsets work with any VOIP provider?

We're unfortunately loosing our home number, would have been nice to port it - but don't want the hassle of confusing my Telkom cancellation.
You mean a cordless/DECT IP phone?

Snom M-series, Yealink W-series, Gigaset... IIRC, the Gigaset A540H is priced below R 1 000.