Nawaaz_

Hi guys, know its my first post but i have been following this forums for quite some time. Wondering if you guys can offer me your advice. In the past week i have been following thenewboston's html,css and have just started his JavaScript tutorials. The problem i have been encountering is that I am trying to design a website for my dads business, (he's been with 3 guys, paid with poor end results so i took it upon myself to try) i am quite comfortable with the designs in fact the template is almost ready and than its just adding the cars to the site (yes its a showroom website). So what i need help with is that once the template is done the page where the cars will be advertised, i need a platform to make this step easy so any one can just add a car when needed and delete cars when they sold. Is there any platform which i can manipulate the design myself with html/css and use the platform for just that purpose? Oh and if you visit speedycarsales.co.za/cars which is just an example, so my dad can just add his cars and remove them from there.
Kind regards
Nawaaz Latif

mh348

Expert Member
Look at Wordpress, there's lots of dealers using it.. All you need is a car dealer template with plugins for managing the stock, allowing users to search by make, model, milliage, transmission etc..

Easiest would be to look for a car dealers website that uses wordpress, then look at the source for the theme name, and for the plugins they use.

rward

Hey Nawaaz_

As mh348 has said, check Wordpress and find a theme.
Something like this may be good: http://themeforest.net/item/automotive-car-dealership-business-wordpress-theme/9210971

It costs $64 but that's a heck of a lot less than you're going to spend getting a developer to create it for you or the time it will take to create it yourself.

Check out a couple of other alternatives on Themeforest and see if there is anything you like. They are all pretty easy to install and setup using wordpress.

Nawaaz_

I have been looking in to wordpress this morning. Doesn't seem that bad, just playing around with it. Once im comfortable i will consider the template. Thanks

Nawaaz_

Will have a look at that. On word press im encountering a small problem. Couldn't come right so i deleted everything (without backing up) and started over to see if i could fix the problem only to be in the same situation but with less content. So i have added my domain with cybersmart and hosted it. My website is http://lats-tronic.co.za (website name is for another purpose) but with word press you cannot add writing or customize this page freely which I dont mind. All i need to do is as soon as you enter that page i need it redirected to http://lats-tronic.co.za/home . So is there any way i can do this? I tried editing the index.php but my whole site doesn,t work than (although it redirects correctly) Appreciate the help

Darko

Wordpress is DB centered, so if you deleted everything and you mean the files, the reason you might still be getting the same error could be because it's still referencing the old DB.

Once WP is installed, on the settings, you can change which address is your "home" address.

Otherwise, you can create a home folder inside your www root folder, copy the WP files over there and just install it from there.

rward

in the backend,
Click "Settings -> Reading" and at the top select "Front Page Displays -> A Static Page" and select your "Home" page.
You can leave the blog page as is.

By default wordpress puts your latest posts on the frontpage. Doing the above overrides it.

rward

Play around with what you have for a couple of days, get used to how wordpress works.
BROWSE THROUGH the codex.

It will answer 80% of the questions you have.

You do not have to edit anything outside of the wp-content/themes/[your theme] directory. If you do, you're doing something wrong.

Get to know the Template Heirarchy - https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/

What this means is if you're browsing the front-page of your site then find "front page" on the left.
Follow the line to find where the code for this page could be:
(In your theme directory - wp-content/themes/[your theme]) It could be in front-page.php or if that doesn't exist then check for home.php and if that doesn't exist then index.php is used.

the opposite is true, if you have no home.php or front-page.php then it will display what is in the "Settings -> reading" section.
If you have a home.php then whatever is in there will be displayed, same for front-page.php.
If you have a home.php and front-page.php then front-page.php takes preference.

Nawaaz_

Shortcuts always bring frustration later on! But yeah I think I should go through the codex. Let me see what I can get through in this week hopefully my understanding will be better, thanks.

squirrel

Expert Member
If your dad paid 3 people and they couldn't deliver, I don't know where he is ooking! It's also a nice gesture for you to do the site, but your dad should seriously consider hiring someone reputable if he cares about the opinion of his business.

_neo

On the CMS front, you may consider giving ProcessWire (big fan of this) or PageKit (suggesting because it looks really simple to use) a try. Just sayin'.