Weed growers thread

Readsalot

Expert Member
Soo I've heard of indica vs sativa but always thought that in SA you could never be guaranteed that what you were getting was actually one or the other

I would love to experience Sativa! Hook a brother up, pm me please?

Sorry, man, my regular smoking days are over. I don't have any good contacts anymore. All I have is a few seeds in a box in a cupboard I kept from years ago when I still smoked the good stuff. I don't even know what strain they are or if they will still grow.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I'm no expert on growing weed but when I went to Amsterdam I bought a couple of cases of seeds and sprinkled them in my suitcase and brought them home. Seeds after converting Euros to Rands were roughly R1000 for 7 females (for the best seeds).

None of the seeds would grow outside, they would sprout grow to about 3-4cm high and then die. I tried different soils nutrients etc they just wouldn't grow. Not sure if its our climate or what.

Then bought a hydro grow kit set it up in the garage and the plants grew fine.

This was a couple of years ago so sold the hydro kit when the seeds ran out, just be careful if you gonna buy seeds at that price and make sure you have the right equipment.

rayven_king

Expert Member
I see quite a lot of folks have brought up hydro, before you blow your budget buying up equipment and pumps have a look at the "hempy bucket", I'm no Dr green thumb and I've had three successful grows with is method

hempy.jpg

All you need is a bucket, perlite and vermiculite no other moving parts needed it's damn near fool proof and it's impossible to overwater

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member

blaaislaai

Executive Member
What's the best way to germinate seeds? Last year I've used cotton and have had 2/5 success so far, but probably dud seeds.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
What's the best way to germinate seeds? Last year I've used cotton and have had 2/5 success so far, but probably dud seeds.
Put them into a cup with water. Those who sink after a couple of hours or even a day are good. You can give the floaters a couple of days to check but I found that to be a waste of time and they don't grow anyway. Wait for the shell the crack, transfer the seeds into wet cotton/kitchen paper. Try and keep above room temps and humid - I found placing them in a tub on my Router is juuuuusst right. Wait for the root to emerge to about 1-1.5 CM. CAREFULLY transfer to soil with root facing downwards and lightly cover with about 0.3-0.5mm of soil.

Batista

Executive Member
Been there, done that.Its a complete waste if you doing it in a small scale.

Beginner
You start with bag seeds.
You plant it in soil from your garden.
You water it when the leaves are droopy.
You then end up with more males than female and those 10 plants you were planning to harvest becomes 3.
You put so much time and resources attending to 7 useless plants. :(

Intermediate
You make sure you start with feminized seeds.
You go with a hempy bucket system (This is to preapre you for full hydro)
You prepare nutrients every 2-3 days and feed the plants.
You dial in your nutrients at each stage of the plants development or you mess up bad and burn your plants and kill them.
You train your plant to maximise output.Trim lower leaves that are hidden from the sun and form a nice canopy (Think SOG/ ScrOG).

Advanced
You start with established clones from your favorite mother plant.
They go straight into net pots and into your 100 L drip system(Or any of the hydro methods available).
You already have the ScrOG in place and start weaving those plants in and out the chicken wire.
You prepare a full week of nutrient solution.
Nutriets are pumped to the plant on a timer.
Set and forget (Only need to topup nutrient res once a week, and do some plant training)

So are you prepared to go through 3 full grows before you dial everything in? And if you are a heavy smoker, its only going to last you a few weeks whatever you do harvest.

C4Cat

Honorary Master
Been there, done that.Its a complete waste if you doing it in a small scale.

Beginner
You start with bag seeds.
You plant it in soil from your garden.
You water it when the leaves are droopy.
You then end up with more males than female and those 10 plants you were planning to harvest becomes 3.
You put so much time and resources attending to 7 useless plants. :(

Intermediate
You make sure you start with feminized seeds.
You go with a hempy bucket system (This is to preapre you for full hydro)
You prepare nutrients every 2-3 days and feed the plants.
You dial in your nutrients at each stage of the plants development or you mess up bad and burn your plants and kill them.
You train your plant to maximise output.Trim lower leaves that are hidden from the sun and form a nice canopy (Think SOG/ ScrOG).

Advanced
You start with established clones from your favorite mother plant.
They go straight into net pots and into your 100 L drip system(Or any of the hydro methods available).
You already have the ScrOG in place and start weaving those plants in and out the chicken wire.
You prepare a full week of nutrient solution.
Nutriets are pumped to the plant on a timer.
Set and forget (Only need to topup nutrient res once a week, and do some plant training)

So are you prepared to go through 3 full grows before you dial everything in? And if you are a heavy smoker, its only going to last you a few weeks whatever you do harvest.
I think that people who cultivate their own on a small scale do so because they enjoy the process as much as the product.
Plus, it's illegal to purchase MJ here so cultivation at home is currently your only option

Batista

Executive Member
I think that people who cultivate their own on a small scale do so because they enjoy the process as much as the product.
Plus, it's illegal to purchase MJ here so cultivation at home is currently your only option

It really is a magical process, but after a few runs you look at the cash you spent and the grams you got, do a quick calc and then feel sad.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Maybe I should ask the guys in Lestho to bring me some seeds, like 4km from the border ;)

Because that is utter garbage in comparison to premium genetics.

Girl Scout Cookies.
Gran Daddy Purple
Royal Medic
Dinafem Deep grapefruit , etc..

semaphore

Honorary Master
None of the seeds would grow outside, they would sprout grow to about 3-4cm high and then die. I tried different soils nutrients etc they just wouldn't grow. Not sure if its our climate or what.

Not sure where you are, but our climate is perfect. The soil was most likely not tilled or it was clay like. The soil needs decent aeration for the roots to form a good ball mass.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Not sure where you are, but our climate is perfect. The soil was most likely not tilled or it was clay like. The soil needs decent aeration for the roots to form a good ball mass.

yep, some okes ball mass is just lacking.

*sorry Ninja'd / abzo - I saw it first*

Ryansr

Expert Member
Trust someone to start threads purely for the sake of "being the first to start a thread with a certain topic". OP would seem like someone who suffers from the FOMO (fear of missing out)syndrome. :whistling:

Last edited:

semaphore

Honorary Master

If you have old seeds you can also use Gibberellic acid to stimulate them. But like the one post said, soak in water, not tap water the chlorine has a tendency to render the seeds inert.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm no expert on growing weed but when I went to Amsterdam I bought a couple of cases of seeds and sprinkled them in my suitcase and brought them home. Seeds after converting Euros to Rands were roughly R1000 for 7 females (for the best seeds).

Then bought a hydro grow kit set it up in the garage and the plants grew fine.

This was a couple of years ago so sold the hydro kit when the seeds ran out, just be careful if you gonna buy seeds at that price and make sure you have the right equipment.

You really want to start the plants proper in a seeding tray or pot in doors until it's a proper plant.

Then transfer it to the garden as a juvenile.

Very risky to seed straight into the soil