Weed growers thread

krieg

Can you plant your trees in normal buckets? Plain plastic buckets? This will be for outdoor plants.
I have used mainly 25 litre food grade plastic buckets in the past this year however I'm moving over to fabric pots which is superior.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I have used mainly 25 litre food grade plastic buckets in the past this year however I'm moving over to fabric pots which is superior.
Thanks. Is there a particular size? I will probably go down to the hydro shop close to you to buy.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
View attachment 708093View attachment 708093

I planted a few seeds in July as a trial and this is what they look like now.
I still have quite a few more seeds.
Please help with some advice. The flower box. Is it too small? Should I rather invest in larger containers or should I rather plant in the garden?
I've quite a few of these plant boxes and would like to plant the seeds in them but if I'm doing the wrong thing, I would like to hear from you.
Your roots can go up to a metre deep if there is soil for it, so in the garden is ultimately best.

But a large pot or bucket will also work well enough and makes for a smaller more manageable tree.

Ultimately depends on your wants/needs. If you have garden space, go for it.

krieg

Which size would you suggest?
I actually wish they would make a 30 litre pot. The size of the pot will determine the maximum size of the plant up to a point. Just from my own personal experience if you use a 20 litre pot your plant won't go over 1 to 1.2 metres. From the pics online with a 40 litre pot it goes quite a lot bigger. Just very expensive if you're using organic soil as you would need twice the soil per plant but you will have bigger yields.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
I actually wish they would make a 30 litre pot. The size of the pot will determine the maximum size of the plant up to a point. Just from my own personal experience if you use a 20 litre pot your plant won't go over 1 to 1.2 metres. From the pics online with a 40 litre pot it goes quite a lot bigger. Just very expensive if you're using organic soil as you would need twice the soil per plant but you will have bigger yields.
I dont need the biggest yield ever but think I will buy a bigger pot than the 20 L and mix the soil to bring costs down a bit.

krieg

I dont need the biggest yield ever but think I will buy a bigger pot than the 20 L and mix the soil to bring costs down a bit.
Just a thought, if you use something like Freedom Farms soil and add something on your own you negate any benefits, I would rather mix my own mix and use that rather if you decide to go bigger. Last year I bought a cube of organic potting soil which I mixed with vermiculite and perlite and some other minerals.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Just a thought, if you use something like Freedom Farms soil and add something on your own you negate any benefits, I would rather mix my own mix and use that rather if you decide to go bigger. Last year I bought a cube of organic potting soil which I mixed with vermiculite and perlite and some other minerals.
Thanks for the heads up really appreciate it. Will contact you closer to planting time.

Nimzo-Indian

As I understand the female is the one that grows the buds, and when a male is present the plant puts more energy into seeding than growing massive buds ie. leads to lower yields.
I'm a novice tho, better get advice from the old hands..

Thanks

I've located and removed the males from the batch.

Anyone here know if there are any nutrients I need to or should get to help with my grow?

All I've done is throw seeds into a pot with potting soil - Nothing else. They seem to be doing, just wondering if there is anything more I should be adding?

Also, I noticed this morning that one of the plant's leaves are starting to turn yellow at the bottom - Any ideas?

Thanks

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Is there perhaps an app that can help a first grower like myself? Something where you add a seed, inform the app that germination is done and let the app remind you when to water, when to move for more light etc?

Does such a thing exist?

saor

Honorary Master
Is there perhaps an app that can help a first grower like myself? Something where you add a seed, inform the app that germination is done and let the app remind you when to water, when to move for more light etc?

Does such a thing exist?
Like any plant, you need to give it attention and move & water when it's at the right stage & depending on soil etc. Nothing grows according to such a strict schedule. Don't overthink it - it's just a plant.

What seeds you using?

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Like any plant, you need to give it attention and move & water when it's at the right stage & depending on soil etc. Nothing grows according to such a strict schedule. Don't overthink it - it's just a plant.

What seeds you using?
Krieg on the forum has been more than helpful with my first grow but I feel bad pestering people all the time and not in the mood to waste R20000.