Weed growers thread

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Hope this gets to SA quickly ....

Hound Labs, a startup that aims to make the first marijuana breathalyzer.

The findings were published last month in the journal Clinical Chemistry.
They are also going to need to make other models to test for benzos, pain pills, antihistamines, sleep-deprivation, bad eyesight, current mental status...

*edit*

I see I'm not the first person to point this out...

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Any suggestions which seeds to buy for sativa plants? I am currently on Trophyseeds but their ability to sort between indica and sativa etc is non existent.

I have an order with cannabisseed.co.za but unsure as to how legit they are. Not in the mood to fight for my money back or getting my seeds.

Suggestions?

treeman

I have recently bought a few seeds from Trophy..ETHOS, Barney and a Fastbud. They did contact me via WhatsApp to request which branch of Postnet and the waybill photo. The fastbud auto didn’t germinate. Will have to wait and see but the other 2 turn out..always a relief when a R250+ seed finally takes.

Jimmy-Z

Any suggestions which seeds to buy for sativa plants? I am currently on Trophyseeds but their ability to sort between indica and sativa etc is non existent.

I have an order with cannabisseed.co.za but unsure as to how legit they are. Not in the mood to fight for my money back or getting my seeds.

Suggestions?
I've ordered thrice from cannabisseeds.co.za. All 3 times I've gotten my seeds the next day & 100% germ rate with the soak, then paper towel method.

Cosmic_Nomad

Morning , are any growers here checking brix on their crops ?

If you are, do you notice a difference when getting it above 14 % in regards with powdery mildew?

Rhein

7080931567537387445.png

I planted a few seeds in July as a trial and this is what they look like now.
I still have quite a few more seeds.
Please help with some advice. The flower box. Is it too small? Should I rather invest in larger containers or should I rather plant in the garden?
I've quite a few of these plant boxes and would like to plant the seeds in them but if I'm doing the wrong thing, I would like to hear from you.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
When's a good time to get a grow started again? I tried a 3-plant greenhouse grow but it failed miserably, mostly through my own ignorance.
Worse is the plants I so desperately tried to cultivate all died, but the seed I accidentally dropped in a hole next to paving grew into a small tree.
Maybe I'm just not cut out for gardening, but I'm willing to try again, so when's the best time to start?

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
When's a good time to get a grow started again? I tried a 3-plant greenhouse grow but it failed miserably, mostly through my own ignorance.
Worse is the plants I so desperately tried to cultivate all died, but the seed I accidentally dropped in a hole next to paving grew into a small tree.
Maybe I'm just not cut out for gardening, but I'm willing to try again, so when's the best time to start?
What went wrong?

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
What went wrong?
They came out all tall and stringy, but like stunted so at 2 months they were like 20cm tall, thin as a toothpick and bare like infant plants.
It was me though, I just popped a few pips in some potting soil I had and 3 came up so I went with that.
I've educated myself somewhat so think I know what not to do next time..

Nimzo-Indian

Hi All
Started growing my own at home, just threw a few seeds into a few pots and they seem to be growing quite nicely.

A friend of mine told me to be careful about male plants being in the same vicinity as the females, why is this? How do I determine which is male and which is female?

Does the male plant serve no purpose to the consumer?

Thanks

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Hi All
Started growing my own at home, just threw a few seeds into a few pots and they seem to be growing quite nicely.

A friend of mine told me to be careful about male plants being in the same vicinity as the females, why is this? How do I determine which is male and which is female?

Thanks
As I understand the female is the one that grows the buds, and when a male is present the plant puts more energy into seeding than growing massive buds ie. leads to lower yields.
I'm a novice tho, better get advice from the old hands..

Rhein

Please look at my post #827.
The planter box is 200 mm deep.
Am I doing the right thing or should I plant directly into the garden?

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Please look at my post #827.
The planter box is 200 mm deep.
Am I doing the right thing or should I plant directly into the garden?
The planters are too small to leave them in. You need to decide if you are going to replant them into bigger pots with soil mixture or just plant them in the soil in the garden.

MJ INC

I would recommend about September 1st. Will give you a good veg cycle before they flip to flower

Ejeckt

So I got some freebie White Widow seeds in addition to my Harlequin Pride seeds in April and I thought I'd try growing some WW through winter anyway (ended up moving the pot (heh, pun) around 2-3 times a day to maximize sun). Not a great yield - made quite a few mistakes, but I learned a lot and happy that I dipped my toes in some weed growing before starting with the proper batch now.

Anyway, here's a picture of a bud. Can a more experienced grower help me out with estimating harvesting time? I think some of the white thingies are starting to brown at the tips, so it's soon, no? Please excuse the dog hair - that stuff gets literally everywhere :) Was difficult taking a clear picture. Trying to hold a magnifying lens in front of camera lens was not easy on my shaky hands.

20190908_134138.jpg

Last edited:

The_David

Hi All

Thanks
A male close to or in the same neighbourhood sometimes will fertalise your female plant and the turn it into Hermaphrodites. Basically it will drastically slow growth and when it does bud, the bud will be really small and full of seeds.

Males are not completely useless, they are required for propagation and without them you would not be able to get femanised seeds, and eventually no seeds at all.

Just in terms of smoking, the males do more harm than good to your crop. Male plants are usually grown for hemp products.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Can you plant your trees in normal buckets? Plain plastic buckets? This will be for outdoor plants.