Weight Loss/ Gain thread Dec 2014 - 2015

Well seeing as people got arrested for homeopathic fraud, wikipedia is the fountain of knowledge about successful trials, the clinical practice of medical doctors with results means nothing, and you having no interest in actually learning something new, I might as well leave this debate. I came from a position of knowledge, both having researched this extensively 5 years ago, and having done it myself, and although I prefer LCHF I was willing to support the OP in her quest to change her life.

Anyway whatever, I have work to do.

Just because you took sugar water and lost weight doesn't mean that sugar water is responsible for the weight loss. It's also highly irresponsible of you to try and make that claim.

Wikipedia makes reference to MEDICAL JOURNALS - you make reference to your 'extensive' research 5 years ago. I know which one I'd believe.
 
Just because you took sugar water and lost weight doesn't mean that sugar water is responsible for the weight loss. It's also highly irresponsible of you to try and make that claim.

Wikipedia makes reference to MEDICAL JOURNALS - you make reference to your 'extensive' research 5 years ago. I know which one I'd believe.

That wikipedia article is sorely lacking decent information.

By the way there is a diet where you drink sugar water and lose weight. It's called the Shangri-La Diet.
 
It has never been proven scientifically and one of the American proponents of it was sent to jail for fraud. Do the math.

Look, even if it works, fad diets do not work. Starving yourself for 2 months then going back onto your old diet will not work. You will just pick up the weight again.

Well, I'm not gonna search and name names as it's not my intention to shame or offend anyone but I definitely recall reading a few posters admitting they're "back on" LCHF. Meaning they were on it, lost weight, went off it, re-gained weight. So according to the above concept of fad dieting, LCHFers may need to concede their diet is not the messiah. I do say may.

Lets agree to disagree.

People related to this are in jail for fraud, substances are on banned lists etc.

That tells me all I need to know. You can keep preaching your silver bullet, but the truth is there is none. It's hard work. There is no easy cheat code.

Well... you can apply the exact same reasoning to steroids and there's no shortage of athletes, professional and amateur, who choose that route over the hard way. And unfortunately there's no denying their results. And if Sairoseb and others have gotten results from HCG, you can't deny that either. If they lost weight, they lost weight. Right?
You also can't just blindly deny silver bullets, as HCG may be or as gastric bypass would likely be considered as by most. They exist, they get results. For people that are doing it the hard way maybe this looks like cheating or something, but who's to say that HCGers or gastric bypassers haven't tried other means and this was the only or best way that worked for them?

Blessed be his Bolognese

Oh boy that better be carb-free bolognese!

APoc184 said:
Can this argument be taken to its own thread please?

But why? This thread is where the dieting interest is and I for one had never heard of the HCG method. If it had been its own thread I might've missed it. I'm interested in learning, this seems like the place to do it.

Why all the hate guys. We all on the same journey.

Now you sir have made a rather valid point. There are many ways to lose weight. We all know that. We also all know that as much as we might not agree with the methods, you can't deny results. Using a questionable means may have health consequences later but that's each person's right, more or less. I hate to be trite but... can't we all just get along? Respect each other's choices of how we tackle the journey?
 
Well, I'm not gonna search and name names as it's not my intention to shame or offend anyone but I definitely recall reading a few posters admitting they're "back on" LCHF. Meaning they were on it, lost weight, went off it, re-gained weight. So according to the above concept of fad dieting, LCHFers may need to concede their diet is not the messiah. I do say may.

And you would in some cases be right. I refer to one of my own posts:

The problem I find with going absolutely super low carbs is that yoghurt, berries and nuts all have carbs in them, and eating all of them in one day probably means you are blowing past your carb limit.

If that matters to you.

I decided to not aim for super duper low carbs because I know it isn't realistic for me. There is no way I could eat less than 20g of carbs per day, so I don't even try. What I do instead is to eliminate unnecessary carbs (sugar in tea/coffee and sugar on top of breakfast cereal), and eat "healthier" carbs instead (only all bran for breakfast, only whole wheat low GI bread for lunch). And I avoid carbs for supper if possible.

I snack on nuts during the day.

The key point is that the lifestyle change - not diet - that each person can sustain is a personal thing. I know I cannot sustain an LCHF diet. Many have tried and failed. So their weight will yo-yo.

It is not the LCHF diet that is wrong, it is that it is wrong for some individuals who cannot maintain. Like myself.

Similarly, any diet that aims to make you lose a drastic amount of weight suffers from the same problem - can you keep it off afterwards? For most people, the answer is no, because they have no changed their lifestyles. Until you stop seeing food as a reward, you will put the weight back on again.

Now, the HCG diet has other issues, namely fraud and malpractice, but even if it worked exactly as advertised, I would still be against it. I do not think it is a permanent solution to weight loss.

Weight loss is hard because it takes consistent effort for the rest of your life. Not consistent effort for 3 months while you drop 30kg. The rest of your life. When you change your lifestyle, your weight starts to move towards a new equilibrium. Once that equilibrium is reached, your weight will be stable again. If you go on a crash diet, but then resume your bad eating habits, then your equilibrium weight is your old weight.

Can you go on a crash diet and then switch to a maintenance diet? You can, but I'm not convinced that most people will be able to keep it up because of the willpower required. You want a quick weight fix - there are no quick fixes.

How long does it take to get into shape? The rest of your life.
 
Don't know if anyone will find this useful but I made this ice cream recipe and it came out quite good. I just left out the sugar completely and also didn't use a machine so the texture wasn't perfect but I also didn't blend it occasionally. Should be fine if you do though. Oh and I used the darkest choccie I could find

• 100g dark (70% cocoa) chocolate, broken into pieces
• 300ml full-fat milk
• 85g sugar
• 3 egg yolks
• 300ml whipping cream

1. Put the chocolate pieces and milk in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until smooth, then remove from the heat to cool slightly.
2. Beat the sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale and thick. Stir in the cooled chocolate milk, then strain back into the pan. Cook the custard over a gentle heat, stirring all the time, until it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Don’t allow the mixture boil or it will curdle.
3. Pour into a bowl and leave to cool, stirring occasionally.
4. Whip the cream into soft peaks, then fold into the cooled chocolate mixture.
5. Churn in an ice-cream machine, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until it’s frozen.
 
I actually want to make a dark chocolate ice cream with little sugar for a dinner next week. Yes, it isn't banting! But sometimes you need to.

I usually use 6 egg yolks, half a litre of cream, and one cup of milk.
 
She just excluded the sugar when she made it.

You can always add Xylitol or Stevia to keep it banting friendly.
 
Don't know if anyone will find this useful but I made this ice cream recipe and it came out quite good. I just left out the sugar completely and also didn't use a machine so the texture wasn't perfect but I also didn't blend it occasionally. Should be fine if you do though.

Thanks :) I want to give this a try
 
You were gonna recommend a place? Anything near Pinelands? :)

What do group classes cost, i.e. just fitness?

For The Armoury where I go its R600 per month.

You don't need to do sparring, you can just do it for fitness if you like - although sparring certainly helps to put theory in to practice.

Class times are as follows:
boxing timetable.jpg

In Pinelands i'm not sure of many options to be honest. I know there's some kickboxing in the area but thats about all I know that side.

In town and surrounds we have BJJ / Boxing / Gong Fu (Taiji / Shaolin / Wing Chun and a few others) / Aikido / TKD / Karate etc.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X