Weird upgrade SMS received from MTN

linkinpark

Expert Member
Hey guys, have any of you received any upgrade SMS's from MTN today?

I received the following SMS's today on both my phone numbers on MTN this morning at around 9:15:

"Your MTN application for an Upgrade has been approved and upgraded."
"Y'ello, your payment details have been updated as requested. Kind Regards, MTNSA"
"Y'ello, you have been successfully upgraded. Your next upgrade date is now 02/01/2017. Kind Regards, MTNSA"

Everything looks fine on both my accounts on the MTN online portal.
The upgrade date being only 2 months from now is also weird.

Just wanted to know if there is a general system wide error on MTN or if some fraudulent activity is happening on my account.
Thanks.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hey guys, have any of you received any upgrade SMS's from MTN today?

I received the following SMS's today on both my phone numbers on MTN this morning at around 9:15:

"Your MTN application for an Upgrade has been approved and upgraded."
"Y'ello, your payment details have been updated as requested. Kind Regards, MTNSA"
"Y'ello, you have been successfully upgraded. Your next upgrade date is now 02/01/2017. Kind Regards, MTNSA"

Everything looks fine on both my accounts on the MTN online portal.
The upgrade date being only 2 months from now is also weird.

Just wanted to know if there is a general system wide error on MTN or if some fraudulent activity is happening on my account.
Thanks.

Sounds like fraud, someone got a new phone at your expense.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I'd contact them as soon as possible in writing by email to their complaints department and compliance officer so you have record of this.
I'd also inform them they have no right to change any debit amount as they do not have a signed debit order for that contract. In terms of being a FSP they are at risk if they act outside the law.

linkinpark

Expert Member
Thanks for the replies, turns out MTN decided to change the package my tablet was on to a newer month to month data package.
From the old Broadband whatever to a MTN MyChoice.

All is well.