What MultiChoice is doing about declining DStv Premium subscriber numbers

bwana

MyBroadband
What MultiChoice is doing about declining DStv Premium subscriber numbers... Aside from whining, nothing.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Well their revenue is still growing so I don't expect any streaming service for sports any time soon

adrianx

Expert Member
“I don’t think we are expensive in terms of the full entertainment package that we give,” said Mawela.
Now ask the public what they think...

ronz91

Expert Member
waiting for that next step, whether it be sports only streaming or whatever

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Given the billing issues I've currently got where they just magically reactivated an old decoder on my account and I'm struggling to get them to reverse the bullshyte charges ... I am guessing they're actively driving away customers

R13...

Honorary Master
So they think they're losing people to service that costs about a 10th of premium and they fail to see the problem?

system32

Expert Member
What MultiChoice is doing about declining DStv Premium subscriber numbers... Aside from whining, nothing.
The declining subscribers numbers has nothing to do with the ANN7/Gupta/SABC scandal..../sarcasm

See
MultiChoice payments to Gupta-linked ANN7 and SABC investigated
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broa...-gupta-linked-ann7-and-sabc-investigated.html

How MultiChoice lied about its deal with the SABC
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broa...choice-lied-about-its-deal-with-the-sabc.html
etc.

daveza

Honorary Master
When your monopoly is threatened bring out the loss of jobs card.

Regarding launch timeframes, Mawela said their standalone streaming package is still a work in progress.
Iow it's just a concept you came up with when you were caught resting on your laurels - by the time you get it to market will there still be a market.

Nigel13

The only thing killing DSTV is pure greed from this Monopolistic, and bombastic service. Streaming has not killed DSTV they have done this themselves with their profit gouging products.
Why charge extra for PVR Service when you are already paying for Prime.
They have a World Class Service with little or nil competition.
Netflix is an a much more reasonably priced streaming option for Movies and Series. DSTV should be able to offer a add similar streaming service at the same price. News Channels, Discovery channels etc should be offered as a streaming service at a similar price .
Costs involved for streaming should be substantially lower with having Satellite Costs.
A streaming sports package would also need to be available.

deesef

Expert Member
"To respond to the changing market, MultiChoice said it is developing a standalone DStv*streaming service."

Don't these idiots know that they already have 2 streaming services:
- Catchup via Dstv Now; and
- Showmax.

Now they just need to offer these services at a reasonable tariff and sort out the chronic lag on Now every time that a big game is streamed live.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Probably trying to figure out how to use their Monopoly position to exclude other competitors and to entrap consumers in their money web.

Thor

Honorary Master
The BEE CEO strikes again.
“I don’t think we are expensive in terms of the full entertainment package that we give,” said Mawela.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Unless he's going to talk about DStv launching a well-priced all-inclusive 1080p streaming service, I'd rather words didn't come out of his mouth.

milomak

Honorary Master
Pound costs:
Sky TV All channels excluding sport - 20 (has a 3 record plus 1 view) http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/
Add All Sports - 20 http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sports
Add BT Sports for the other EPL games you don't have - 28 (plus 20 activation) https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/sport/sky/

That's 68 pounds. I don't know if the basic Sky TV is better than the general DSTV. This whole Sky package comes in at R1,230.

The claim is not outrageous when you look at DSTV Premium.

Clearly the issue here is that the traditional form of TV watching is expensive.

edit - i'll take bryn's point that one is 1080p.

Sky Q the basic one may be 1080i

Last edited:

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
"Even in the UK, pay-TV subscribers can’t get all the English Premier League matches which are broadcast on SuperSport", he said

There is a reason for this....

milomak

Honorary Master
"Even in the UK, pay-TV subscribers can’t get all the English Premier League matches which are broadcast on SuperSport", he said

There is a reason for this....
And you make his point. If Sky and BT were to show the 3pm UK games then the EPL would ask for more money meaning the costs I have quoted up there would be even higher for UK residents.

We already pay for the 3pm kick off. UK viewers don't but cost wise DSTV is about on par. Which is what he said.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
The service may be cheaper when compared to other countries but you can't do a direct comparison.

As stated above it's 68 pounds (roughly R1250) for the equivalent in UK.
Here in Aus, foxtel all in would cost about $120 (roughly R1200).

Average salary according to StatsSA (yes, yes I know) in Feb 2018 was R238,296
Average salary in Aus is $81,947 per annum (2016 and from what I heard on radio is still quite similar).

That is almost R500 000 difference in average salary between Aus and SA. If we are working on direct comparisons then monochoice premium should be about R250 a month.