WhatsApp users are flocking to Telegram

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Whatsapp: *sharing all your data*

People: "Whatsapp is great"

Government: "Whatsapp you need to tell everyone that you actually share all their data"

People: "Whatsapp is terrible, let's move to another platform where we are the product"
People: *Join Telegram*
People: "Telegram is great"

Telegram: *sharing all your data*

...rinse, repeat.
Well... at least you tried.

eg2505

Honorary Master
getting annoying seeing all the people suddenly joining telegram,
where were you guys for the last 10 years?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Woman on Jacaranda FM this morning slated Telegram this morning because of the "people nearby" feature and recommend that people rather stick with WhatsApp. Also said that messages are not end to end encrypted. At least she did mention the secret chat feature. What she did not mention is that Telegram dont do end to end encryption by default is because your chats gets synced accross all your devices and gives you unlimited cloud storage etc.

Her end statement was "stick with the devil you know"

Urg

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Woman on Jacaranda FM this morning slated Telegram this morning because of the "people nearby" feature and recommend that people rather stick with WhatsApp. Also said that messages are not end to end encrypted. At least she did mention the secret chat feature. What she did not mention is that Telegram dont do end to end encryption by default is because your chats gets synced accross all your devices and gives you unlimited cloud storage etc.

Urg
Like moving away from whatsapp but keep on using facebook :X3:

eg2505

Honorary Master
seriously, its like everybody discovered sliced Bread
I bet when Crypto becomes big again everybody will be running around screaming look at my cash.

we really are sheep sometimes. follow the leader, even if we dont know who the leader is.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
seriously, its like everybody discovered sliced Bread
I bet when Crypto becomes big again everybody will be running around screaming look at my cash.

we really are sheep sometimes. follow the leader, even if we dont know who the leader is.
When they buy in at it's 90-99% peak :ROFL:

eg2505

Honorary Master
When they buy in at it's 90-99% peak :ROFL:
Sheep go Baa, Dont think a little bit, before jumping
so Whatsapp Baaaad, Telegram good,

and suddenly my nice focused simple main screen is cluttered with all these id10s who suddenly discovered Telegram.
and Telegram creates another worthless chat, even if I never want to speak to their ugly face.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
Sheep go Baa, Dont think a little bit, before jumping
so Whatsapp Baaaad, Telegram good,

and suddenly my nice focused simple main screen is cluttered with all these id10s who suddenly discovered Telegram.
and Telegram creates another worthless chat, even if I never want to speak to their ugly face.
People like to follow fashion. Especially if its the latest kakipants own by someone special and they want in on that special.

konfab

Honorary Master
Trust the Russians ...... you're safe, promise :ROFL:

Telegram isn't Russian.

The Russian government tried to ban it, but got absolutely humiliated by Telegram:
Telegram initially gained the attention of the Russian authorities because it had reportedly become one of the apps of choice for the country’s opposition groups. The authorities wanted access to the encrypted messages of Telegram users but Durov wasn’t in a hurry to give this up.

Two years ago, Pavel Durov refused to grant Russian security services access to users’ encrypted messages on his popular Telegram messaging app, then a favorite of Russian opposition groups. The reply from authorities was either submit or become wiped off the country’s digital map.
Neither happened.
The reason was that Telegram found ways around the regulator’s firewalls. It routed its traffic through US cloud services from the likes of Amazon and Google, hiding it from view. In combination with its changing IP addresses, this meant that when Roskomnadzor, Russia’s internet censor, tried to block Telegram, other sites and services got caught in the crossfire, according to Andrei Soldatov, a Russian investigative journalist and security services expert. But this tactic proved controversial with some companies:

“Telegram effectively made big platforms with lots of users — companies were hosted on them — hostages,” Soldatov said, adding that the digital disturbance raised the awareness of ordinary users who may not have even been on Telegram.
“Opinions were divided over the ethics of these tactics,” Soldatov said. “While digital activists praised it — it made the Telegram issue a national and even international one — the Russian companies hosted on Amazon got blocked due to incompetence of Roskomnadzor. And they blamed Telegram, not the Russian authorities.”
These tactics would reportedly not have worked in countries like Iran or China where internet censorship efforts are more sophisticated, but they were enough to get the Russian authorities to give up on their attempts to ban Telegram. Instead, in a strange twist, government officials appeared to embrace it.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/29/21306691/telegram-russia-ban-evaded-washington-post-go-read-this

Unlike Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter etc, the people who run Telegram actually stand up against authoritarianism.

japster79

How long though before Telegram just becomes the next WhatsApp? Everyone starts with noble intentions and eventually just becomes the thing they wanted to protect us against.

newby_investor

Expert Member
My Telegram contacts list have now grown exponentially, and though I haven't had a thorough check most are still on WhatsApp.

My Signal contacts list have grown by 16 new users...

Most community groups have moved to Telegram, and WhatsApp is quite the topic on Telegram.
I've had Signal for the longest time. This week my contact list has gone from about 10 to 46.
Otoh I installed Telegram yesterday to see what it's like, and 70 of my contacts were already there.
(Compared with WhatsApp which is at about 250).

Whatsapp: *sharing all your data*

People: "Whatsapp is great"

Government: "Whatsapp you need to tell everyone that you actually share all their data"

People: "Whatsapp is terrible, let's move to another platform where we are the product"
People: *Join Telegram*
People: "Telegram is great"

Telegram: *sharing all your data*

...rinse, repeat.

Telegram at least pretends not to collect much data and not to share what they do collect.

Credit where it's due, there's no evidence of them having done so thus far.

Urg

The "people nearby" is a valid security risk, it's been identified in multiple places. You can triangulate someone's location reasonably accurately if you're looking for them.

However it's turned off by default.

or they simply hid their bribes better
Ultimately in my mind it comes down to this. Do you trust the developers of Telegram?

To me they seem more trustworthy than our lizard overlord Zuck, and at least as trustworthy as the Signal Foundation, but signal's model is different. Because of the E2EE, and their complete lack of data collection, I need to trust them far less in order to be able to rely on their services.

eg2505

Honorary Master
People like to follow fashion. Especially if its the latest kakipants own by someone special and they want in on that special.
we really are sheep, its sad sometimes, we simply find ourselves unable to think effectively.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Speak for yourself.
been on Telegram for years and years, and now complaining everybody wakes up
and discovered they are sheep. and suddenly my nice quite home-screen is cluttered with all their chats

quite annoying really, as go somewhere else like Viber or line or any of the other dozen chat programs.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
been on Telegram for years and years, and now complaining everybody wakes up
and discovered they are sheep. and suddenly my nice quite home-screen is cluttered with all their chats

quite annoying really, as go somewhere else like Viber or line or any of the other dozen chat programs.
Lovely.

Don't **** on us Signal users then.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Lovely.

Don't **** on us Signal users then.
Dont worry, they will,
and soon enough people who value privacy and security from snooping will jump onto Telegram and Signal,
and guess what?

just like Whatscr@p was initially, they will get brought out by a giant faceless corporation,
and become the opposite of what they set out to be.